X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to correct negative camber?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default still have negative 1.2 degree XKR front camber after...

on my 2001 Jaguar XKR, I still have negative 1.2 degrees negative camber on both front wheels after installing new lower control arm bushings, and lower control arm cam bolts. Does anyone know of the Jaguar upper control arms (part numbers) for the right hand drive and japanese XKR Jags that are slightly longer and thus correct the excessive negative camber to a managable 0.0 degrees? Are they available aftermarket also?
Thank you,
ToronadoMike

Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by steve12955
Been meaning to post again. Was able to solve for a slight (1 degree) negative camber by elongating the holes in the front strut tower to allow the strut to tilt outward at the top. The alignment technician jacked up the right front, removed the nuts that hold the upper strut mount, used a pry bar to lower the strut slightly and then carefully used a die grinder to alter the holes. He elongated the holes by about 1/16"-1/8" and reassembled. He showed me the printout and camber was now within spec. He corrected for the toe-in change that resulted. I'm hopeful this will solve for the sever RF inner edge tire wear I was getting.
Many people don't know that's exactly how Camber and Caster are adjusted on most "strut based" performance cars.

There are often slots, coupled with large, load bearing washers. Or top plates that spread the load and keep the strut from moving under high load conditions. Done correctly, this is the proper method of adjustment.

Here is an extreme example of a caster/camber plate for performance applications.

Here is a template used to "properly position" struts for performance applications. Obviously, it's really a simple matter of drilling holes and re-assembly.

Attached Thumbnails How to correct negative camber?-caster-camber-page.jpg   How to correct negative camber?-guide-47000-02.jpg