X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lock, but not alarm, an X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to lock, but not alarm, an X-Type

I have a dog and she travels with me in the car a lot.

I would like to be able to leave her in the car and lock the doors when I visit a shop (for example).

I'm happy to take the risk of not having the alarm active, but don't want to leave the car completely unlocked.

I'm sure there must be a way. I've tried locking the door with the key, but the alarm still goes off, as it does when using the key fob.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The only way I have found to do this is to physically disconnect a door actuator from the system. This will allow you to manually lock and unlock the door from the inside but it won't allow the system to arm because it is not getting a signal from one of the doors. The only problem with this is that the lock button on the keyfob will not work with an actuator disconnected. That's the only way I've found to turn off the alarm without actually removing the whole alarm system. If you just wanted to remove the alarm system completely, you could just remove the fuse that controls the system, however I don't know if your keyfob would lock or unlock the doors with the fuse removed.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 541 Likes on 353 Posts

In UK/ROW spec cars with Double Locking, the inclination sensor and the internal movement sensor both 'arm' only when Double Locked. Single Locking is advised in the handbook if passengers or pets are to be left in the car when locked or the car is to be transported by sea/ferry or on land/flatbed!

I'm not aware of any solution for US spec Single Locking cars. Does the topic get a mention in the US handbook?

The following 3 users liked this post by astromorg:
Hibbitt (12-16-2012), jimbov8 (12-14-2012), Stuart Beattie (09-13-2013)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Cleo118
I have a dog and she travels with me in the car a lot.

I would like to be able to leave her in the car and lock the doors when I visit a shop (for example).

I'm happy to take the risk of not having the alarm active, but don't want to leave the car completely unlocked.

I'm sure there must be a way. I've tried locking the door with the key, but the alarm still goes off, as it does when using the key fob.

Does anyone know how to do this?
NEVER lock animals or small children in unattended vehicles..... inside temperatures can change rapidly and other unforeseen incidents put the occupants at high risk..... (don't do it - ever)

Old 12-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lcgi
NEVER lock animals or small children in unattended vehicles..... inside temperatures can change rapidly and other unforeseen incidents put the occupants at high risk..... (don't do it - ever)
Lcgi - I would say that's a slightly over cautious and dramatic suggestion!

I have a medical background - and even without that, it surely would depend on the average weather extremes where you are. The inside of the car is not a pressure vessel. I would say that as long as you have some small window openings and it's not the middle of a hot summer day, then it's perfectly safe to leave either a pet, or a child in a car for short periods.

Regards,

Steve.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (09-13-2013)
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by Hibbitt
Lcgi - I would say that's a slightly over cautious and dramatic suggestion!

I have a medical background - and even without that, it surely would depend on the average weather extremes where you are. The inside of the car is not a pressure vessel. I would say that as long as you have some small window openings and it's not the middle of a hot summer day, then it's perfectly safe to leave either a pet, or a child in a car for short periods.

Regards,

Steve.
Steve,
If outside air-temp is say 27-28ºC the inside temp of a vehicle can rise to 40+ºC in a short space of time... not to mention the propensity of Drivers to underestimate the time they expect to be away... or what can inadvertently happen to a parked vehicle..... (by other incidents occurring)

Its a matter of the LAW in this country mate.
(No if or buts, and very well founded - by evidence)

My advice stands.....

Old 12-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 6,311 Likes on 5,498 Posts

And good advice it is too, I'm in AZ and there are constant tragedy's in the summer with animals and children being left in cars.
But, both Cleo and Steve are in the UK and the number of days over 27-28 deg C can be counted on one hand, normally there won't be a problem leaving the dog in the car with a slightly open window.
Children are probably open to a wider debate.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Norri,

I didn't realise Lcgi was in Australia (I was using the forum on my mobile phone version - where it doesn't show your location) and I didn't know about the law there.

As you say, the temp in England doesn't really get hot enough for it it to be an issue. However, Cleo118 was only enquiring about leaving her pet in her car for a short time, whilst she pops into a shop. I can't envisage this would be a big issue (most definitely not in England, where Cleo118 is) for a matter of minutes, even on a very hot day, where the inside of a car could reach 40 celsius. People can sit in happily in steam rooms and even Saunas for 10 minutes or so - where it goes well above the temperature a car could ever reach.

Even on a hot day in England, as long as it's not for an excessive time (like over 20 - 30 mins) it should be fine.

I take on board the point about children locked in, if there was an accident.

Regards,

Steve.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by Norri
And good advice it is too, I'm in AZ and there are constant tragedy's in the summer with animals and children being left in cars.
But, both Cleo and Steve are in the UK and the number of days over 27-28 deg C can be counted on one hand, normally there won't be a problem leaving the dog in the car with a slightly open window.
Children are probably open to a wider debate.
Hi Norrie,
Laws of thermo-dynamics are a constant.... even in colder climes.

If I remember my physics correctly, the 1st Law of Thermo-dynamics states;
"Heat will migrate to the closest colder zone - via the least path of resistance"

Therefore, even in cold climates the cabin temp of a car - becomes much colder and down to ambient outside-temp quite quickly. Cracking a window can only accelerate that.

I am constantly amazed to hear of stories whereby Drivers have left cars locked & unattended (some with engines left running - for heating or cooling) - whilst they duck-off to do something. (outrageous)

Sorry to have high-jacked this thread from the original posters' query.... but, I cannot stress enough - the importance of related safety issues.
An unattended / locked car should never be used purely as a means of confinement for humans or a holding pen for animals - under any circumstances. whatsoever.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The other thing is if you really love the dog...I have 2 that are always with me...take them wherever you go...stores etc. Here in Tahoe everyplace is dog friendly. The town has 2000+ dogs...and 6000 residents so evereyone is used to the dogs...remember that a dog is a child that NEVER leaves home, gives you trouble, and doesn't cost for college.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

I looked over the manual for the 2004 X-Type and it says nothing about disabling the alarm. So, odds are, unless you go to the dealership and have them reprogram the security system (leaving the motion sensor off), it does not appear to be something that can be done by the individual at home.

As for leaving pets in vehicles, I guess I am a believer in common sense. The owner is the one that has to live with the consequences. If they feel this can be done safely, then by all means do it. If an animal/child is injured as a result of their negligence, then the full penalty (ie, maximum sentencing) should be applied. It isn't the manufacturer's fault or someone elses fault, it is the person who locked the doors fault. I am waiting for the day that we get back to taking responsibility for our own actions and not blaming it on someone/thing else. You @#$%'ed up, admit it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Norri (12-17-2012), Stuart Beattie (09-13-2013)
Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM

Of course, if the car is locked and the alarm therefore becomes active..... then the internal motion sensor will trip the alarm, bringing the fact to those nearby that something (Human or Animal) is moving around inside a locked vehicle.

This kinda suggests the manufacturer intended the alarm feature by design and therefore deprecates the practice.

If Cleo18 can't take the dog with her.... then its probably best if she left it at home - where it will normally be safe.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Well thanks thermo. I'm a great believer in common sense myself. Here in blighty I feel quite comfortable with my dog caring abilities and don't feel it necessary to drive 20 miles to go home and drop the dog off whilst I buy a newspaper on a cloudy day at 5deg C. On a hot day I might tie her lead outside the shop instead, but then there have been a lot of dognappings with big ransom demands. So chose the lesser of two evils.

On the other hand it seems that there is no way I can buy a newspaper and lock the car. I tried the single lock suggested earlier, but the alarm still goes off. Oh well I'm going to sell the Jag soon to get a more dog friendly car.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 AM

I too have this problem and live in UK so temperature is not a problem and when shopping I park in multi-storey car parks anyway which never get hot.

It seems ridiculous that Jaguar have no solution to this problem. My other cars have been locked via the key not the fob to not activate the alarm but still lock the car but this does not work with the Jag.

Dog stealing is a massive problem especially pedigree dogs so how acceptable would it be to alarm the car and have the alarm go off every time she moves about. The alarm going off does not upset her at all but it might upset the people disturbed by it so is it just tough on them and lock the car anyway?

I really hope some-one can help.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know if it a model year change or not but my 2007 UK estate works as said, one press on the fob or one turn of the key locks the doors but does not set the internal alarm and my dog can run round and sit in the drivers seat all he wants without triggering the alarm. 2nd press of fob or 2nd turn of key double locks the car and sets the internal alarm and the wife has to sit very still or the alarm sounds.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am inclined to think that neither the Jaguar designers nor some of the contributors here actually have children the age of mine. One is ten, the other 16. When you go into the supermarket they don't want to come with you, they want to stay in the car and listen to the radio, thanks. Since it's September in Britain and they won't die of cold, heat or dehydration whilst you buy the spuds, and you actually would prefer and encourage them to continue to listen to the classic serial, you are not a bad parent. They would prefer the car to be locked so that no-one snatches their ipod, but get out any time they like, and lock the car if they left it to play catch instead. But Jaguar doesn't see life your way at all. It won't let them lock themselves in, it won't let them have the radio on, and it won't let them leave the car locked if they get out. Is this really because no-one on the design team is over 30? Or is it just lawsuit-avoidance design? No wonder people buy classic cars: they're not prewired for someone else's use case models, you are free to use them as you please.