Sponsored by:

How to remove sunroof shade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts
Default How to remove sunroof shade?

Hello everyone;

My sunroof shade's fabric has fallen and I would like to remove the shade to put some new fabric.

How can the shade be removed? I don't want to just yank it out and break something.

Thanks !

Old 06-25-2014, 12:58 AM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Download the workshop manual pdf.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xp...Manual.pdf.zip

Look at page 501-05 ( page 2407 of 2810 )

The following users liked this post:
timetraveler1 (06-27-2014)
Old 08-06-2019, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Hello everyone;

My sunroof shade's fabric has fallen and I would like to remove the shade to put some new fabric.

How can the shade be removed? I don't want to just yank it out and break something.

Thanks !
i Have the same issue in my Jaguar X type, can any one help in this regard. i downloaded the PDF file but unfortunately i didn't find out how to remove the shade alone.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carlos.kassis
i Have the same issue in my Jaguar X type, can any one help in this regard. i downloaded the PDF file but unfortunately i didn't find out how to remove the shade alone.
The only Was was to remove the headliner completely. I had it professionally done

Old 08-06-2019, 07:06 AM

Thank you Spikepaga for your reply. Frankly speaking i am not going to do it (remove all the headliner completely), i will try with 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive, hope this will solve my problem what do you think? do you have another opinion?

Old 08-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carlos.kassis
Thank you Spikepaga for your reply. Frankly speaking i am not going to do it (remove all the headliner completely), i will try with 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive, hope this will solve my problem what do you think? do you have another opinion?
I would not try glue or the adhesive . Always looks terrible and goes thru the headliner, since typically what is dropping is just a thin piece of fabric that has come apart from the foam.

If you can get under the loose fabric, I would try 3M double sided Velcro tape instead

Old 08-06-2019, 08:02 AM

Sure i can access the loose fabric, as the complete fabric of sun shade sagged, my concern now is the thickness of the 3M double sided Velcro tape will affect the sliding of the sun shade do you have any pics of this product.?

Old 08-06-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Just look up double sided Velcro, but it will be thick . in my opinion better than glue or sagging headliner. You could just try a strong double sided tape too.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Spray adhesive is an option and if applied correctly won't bleed through the headliner. There are a few keys to it being successful: 1) remove as much of the remains of the foam as possible (I use a vacuum with a brush attachment for the accessible areas and then a gloved hand and small towel for the rest 2) spray the glue on the headliner cardboard only (not the fabric) and allow it to set until it is tacky before pressing the fabric to the headline. This will prevent it for bleeding through, you have to be careful on lighter colors but it still works 3) mask off area you don't want glue, potentially including the fabric, otherwise things can get messy.

Super 77 is a good choice though there are headliner specific spray glues. All this works well for a small area and should last years, it's doing well on the area around the windshield and above the doors on my X-type, but if your whole headline is sagging it's honestly going to be a messy disaster to try and do it in place and you really need to replace it properly. And regarding the sunroof shade, I've never had occasion to mess with it, so I have no idea how much if any of this is applicable, I just didn't want the option of spray adhesive to be dismissed out of hand.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
The only Was was to remove the headliner completely. I had it professionally done
I removed the headliner, but i have no idea how to get the sunshade out to do the same. Would you know if i could remove it through the glass of the sunroof, or if would i have to figure a way of pulling it all the way out. i attempted this- but the curve of the back window doesn’t let me pull the shader all the way through.