X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have to RUIN my X with a ridiculous Front license Plate!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I have to RUIN my X with a ridiculous Front license Plate!

any solution for having to put a front plate on the x-type so I can quickly remove it or not have to drill holes in the front bumper????

iowa front plate laws are absurd...

-If you are fleeing from the cops, odds are, your plate is right in front of them on the BACK of the car!!!

how many reverse car chases do we hear about on the news?

Gestapo laws. just controlling for controllings' sake...

The following users liked this post:
ukborn (12-11-2023)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
ukborn (12-11-2023)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

So don't put it on.

uropnm6 (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Same here in NY. I do not put them on. Actually I just had my front bumper cover painted and I had the previous holes filled along with the side skirts needed some work, I removed them and to get the three things fixed minor scrapes and stone chips was $350 not bad! Some quotes I had were as high as $865+ tax, I was about to put them back at that price. Everything looks good put them back and did the tranny fluid change, just waiting on the weather. 2004 STR. Paul

Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what the law is in Iowa, but here in Nebraska - if there are no mount on the front for the license plate you don't have to put one on. Basically if you have to modify the car to put the plates on it is voluntary - Hope this helps

Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 PM

I did not put mine on until I had to pay a $500 ticket the state trooper in NY handed to me. I don't think having them required for the front is for a chase situation. Here in NY cop cars have scanners that scan licenses plates and let them know that your registration, inspection, and insurance is up to date and active.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it possible to put it in your front window? Some states allow that for that reason, I see it alot on our Jags, people just stick it on the right side of the front window

Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hideaway....but that could mean having it very low to the ground, or cutting the mesh on your lower grille.

What about what exepat's done? With the license plate in the lower grille

Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
Thank you for making me spend $150 on this mod. Ordered.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by srwedd
I don't know what the law is in Iowa, but here in Nebraska - if there are no mount on the front for the license plate you don't have to put one on. Basically if you have to modify the car to put the plates on it is voluntary - Hope this helps
I think you'd better review your laws again. The only vehicles not requiring front plates in Nebraska are those eligible for Vintage plates (over 30 years old and using a plate corresponding to the manufactured year of the vehicle). All others (including vintage cars and trucks using state Historical plates) are required to have 2 plates (that's why you are issued 2 plates when you register your vehicle. I think all new cars come with the front mount packaged in the trunk and is only mounted when sold in states requiring a front plate. I'm not real sure of this but in 2004 we bought a 2003 Buick that came from Nevada which didn't use front plates and there was no hold on front bumper. When I opened the trunk there was a plastic wrapped packet with the holder, mounting screws, screws for holding the plate and instructions for mounting. There is now and has been in the past an attempt in the legislature to drop the front plate but so far none of these has been successful.
A real time example for mounting that front plate, a few years back my son had a '96 Mustang that came from out of state with no front mount. He just laid the 2nd plate on the dash propped up so you could see it through the windshield. He got stopped on I=80 between Omaha and Lincoln by a state trooper for no front plate, didn't matter that it was on inside of windshield, it was not mounted to front of car. Fine was something like $50, not worth it by my estimation, I'd mount the plate.

Last edited by Green Machine; 03-19-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by exexpat
Thank you for making me spend $150 on this mod. Ordered.
Nice.. Surprised you didn't know about this one!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sort of depends on the state. In Texas the cops don't usually ticket for that but can. I have been here since 1979 with multiple cars and never a citation. I think they use it as an excuse to pull over suspects.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
Nice.. Surprised you didn't know about this one!
I was following it on vwpoortex until before the motorized project started. I'm going to put it in the lower spoiler and have it activate on the ignition. Less interested in the static one the two screws in my bumper are easy enough for the 1-2 car show situations I see per year.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Green Machine
I think you'd better review your laws again. The only vehicles not requiring front plates in Nebraska are those eligible for Vintage plates (over 30 years old and using a plate corresponding to the manufactured year of the vehicle). All others (including vintage cars and trucks using state Historical plates) are required to have 2 plates (that's why you are issued 2 plates when you register your vehicle. I think all new cars come with the front mount packaged in the trunk and is only mounted when sold in states requiring a front plate. I'm not real sure of this but in 2004 we bought a 2003 Buick that came from Nevada which didn't use front plates and there was no hold on front bumper. When I opened the trunk there was a plastic wrapped packet with the holder, mounting screws, screws for holding the plate and instructions for mounting. There is now and has been in the past an attempt in the legislature to drop the front plate but so far none of these has been successful.
A real time example for mounting that front plate, a few years back my son had a '96 Mustang that came from out of state with no front mount. He just laid the 2nd plate on the dash propped up so you could see it through the windshield. He got stopped on I=80 between Omaha and Lincoln by a state trooper for no front plate, didn't matter that it was on inside of windshield, it was not mounted to front of car. Fine was something like $50, not worth it by my estimation, I'd mount the plate.
Green -

That sucks for your son - I have both plates on my jag now, but in the past I had a car that didn't have the front mount for the plates. I owned the car for several years and never once got pulled over for it. Maybe it is just the city cops that don't care. Thanks for the comment.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nevada law is specific. If the car has NO factory provision for a front plate, you don't have to mount it...but you must have the plate in the car. I have an ALFA, and I have the plate in the trunk. When stopped, I show them a copy of the law, and usually get "I'm sorry..I didn't know" Since my Jag has a front plate bracket...bought it in California..I just might stick with the front plate...BUT NEVER ON AN ALFA!!!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by boobea
Nevada law is specific. If the car has NO factory provision for a front plate, you don't have to mount it...but you must have the plate in the car. I have an ALFA, and I have the plate in the trunk. When stopped, I show them a copy of the law, and usually get "I'm sorry..I didn't know" Since my Jag has a front plate bracket...bought it in California..I just might stick with the front plate...BUT NEVER ON AN ALFA!!!!!
Yep.. The only reason I run a front plate on my car is because I bought mine in CA and it already had the bracket mounted. I'm replacing it with a Euro plate (same letters/numbers as my NV plate) as soon as it comes in.. The gestapo laws in CA are sooo much worse than in NV. We don't need front plates, we can tint our windows as dark as we want, nobody cares if you have an exhaust.....etc

Old 03-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by exexpat
I was following it on vwpoortex until before the motorized project started. I'm going to put it in the lower spoiler and have it activate on the ignition. Less interested in the static one the two screws in my bumper are easy enough for the 1-2 car show situations I see per year.

Ha, I saw the video and immediately thought that you would have it ordered before the end of the day. It does look trick though.

I see cars all the time that don't want to clutter the front end so they put the license place up in the windshield. I can't think of anything more WT than having a place sitting on your dash.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Ha, I saw the video and immediately thought that you would have it ordered before the end of the day. It does look trick though.

I see cars all the time that don't want to clutter the front end so they put the license place up in the windshield. I can't think of anything more WT than having a place sitting on your dash.
What does WT mean? Seems unsafe unless you strap it to the passenger side sunvisor or something (did that in my air cooled beetle back in the early 1990s). Motorization goes with the whole Bond/Herby theme I have going. Need to do oil slick next, but that can be arranged driving fully pancaked on bad roads I bet.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM

WT = white trash?