X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just ordered this Mongoose cable, anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 01:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I just ordered this Mongoose cable, anything I should know?

So, I just picked this up on a whim: V162 JLR Mangoose SDD Pro For Jaguar and Land Rover Support till 2017 (uobdii.com) €45, and I'm wondering on people's thoughts on it?
And on this particular version v1.62, and the website (is it legit, safe) any anything else I should know?

I've used the Lexia3 cable/setup on my old Peugeot in the past so I'm aware of the usual stuff, installing, using a VM, and all that, and I'm not against going down the odd rabbit hole when necessary.

I've been reading up on some old posts about the Mongoose and JLR SSD software, and also just wondering if it's all still relevant.. Diagnostic(safe) vs programming/updating modules(maybe unsafe), etc.

The following users liked this post:
JAGUAR S-TYPE XS TD 2.7L (10-06-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts
Old 07-01-2022, 03:31 PM

Not sure I see the relevance of post #30, are you just saying that buying cheap ones are a gamble?
Or is there some info in the link? The link is dead now.

And my wallet ran away and hid as soon as I clicked the second link..

JAGUAR S-TYPE XS TD 2.7L (10-06-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts

Yeah, the clones over time in this forum have proven to be a gamble with little success. Sort of the same problem with buying Asian FCM.More than one person has fiddled around in there (the program) and bugged up their car. Getting into the programming of modules etc., (if you're successful with mongoose, computer, platform, software) you better know what you're doing not just "trying things out". I harken to the "I have a blank NAV/Climate screen while pushing buttons in the "hidden menu" on the unit.
and.....here's your sign (*Bill Engvall).

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 07-01-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Yeah, the clones over time in this forum have proven to be a gamble with little success. Sort of the same problem with buying Asian FCM.More than one person has fiddled around in there (the program) and bugged up their car. Getting into the programming of modules etc., (if you're successful with mongoose, computer, platform, software) you better know what you're doing not just "trying things out". I harken to the "I have a blank NAV/Climate screen while pushing buttons in the "hidden menu" on the unit.
and.....here's your sign (*Bill Engvall).
Yea, I did a bit of that with the old Peugeot, like updating the modules, and I also had to reflash the ECU because the previous owner had tweaked it to delete the EGR, which basically meant turning off a bunch of errors and warning lights.
But I don't think I'd be doing much serious stuff like this without a good reason, and without knowing what I was doing.
It can be scary at the best of times, if your laptop suddenly dies, crashes, starts updating itself, or a cable pops out, etc.

And I think I've just basically "outgrown" the iCarsoft scanner. It's fine for basic stuff, but I still have one or two errors on the car that it just doesn't pick up (a MIL with no codes, and a random TCM communication error).
And also of course I just like messing with new toys..

Old 07-01-2022, 07:02 PM
Received 8,118 Likes on 4,900 Posts

You did NOT purchase a DREWTECH MONGOOSE but you did get a MANGOOSE. (clone) (title misleading)

Old 07-01-2022, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You did NOT purchase a DREWTECH MONGOOSE but you did get a MANGOOSE. (clone) (title misleading)
Ah, Ok. So the Drewtech ones are called Mongoose, and everything else is Mangoose?
My "misleading" wasn't intentional since they seem to be called Mongoose on pretty much every website, and I wasn't quite sure what exactly was going on..

Old 07-01-2022, 08:39 PM
Received 8,118 Likes on 4,900 Posts

In order to get around law suites, I would guess calling it a MANGOOSE is way around it?

Old 07-13-2022, 03:11 PM

So, the cable arrived today, and it seems perfectly fine.
The quality seems good, the cable is soft and flexible, not like the hard "cheap" stuff. And it's working without a problem on Windows 10 with JLR SSD v1.62 on Windows 10, without a VM.

I spend a few minutes messing around with it on the car, no problem reading the VIN, scanning for codes, reading the CAN, etc, but now I just have to learn how to use the software properly.
It took just under 2 weeks to arrive, came with a CD (does anyone even use these anymore?), so I suppose it's not a bad deal for €45.
Obviously from China, since they seem to have no problem with putting the DrewTech name on it..

motorcarman (07-13-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 09:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bonjour

j'ai acheté JLR 145 , il y a plusieurs années , mais ne fonctionne plus , le patch n'est plus actif , donc attention avec ce matériel peut ne plus fonctionner . si non cela fonctionnais très bien pour moi .

Bonne journée .

The following 2 users liked this post by Ventura635:
gijoe50000 (08-12-2022), sov211 (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by gijoe50000
Donc, le câble est arrivé aujourd'hui, et il semble parfaitement bien.
La qualité semble bonne, le câble est doux et flexible, pas comme les trucs durs "bon marché". Et cela fonctionne sans problème sur Windows 10 avec JLR SSD v1.62 sur Windows 10, sans VM.

Je passe quelques minutes à jouer avec sur la voiture, pas de problème pour lire le VIN, scanner les codes, lire le CAN, etc., mais maintenant je dois juste apprendre à utiliser correctement le logiciel.
Il a fallu un peu moins de 2 semaines pour arriver, est venu avec un CD (est-ce que quelqu'un les utilise encore ?), donc je suppose que ce n'est pas une mauvaise affaire pour 45 €.
Évidemment de Chine, puisqu'ils semblent n'avoir aucun problème à y mettre le nom de DrewTech..

Bonjour sur quel site avez vous achetez votre mongoose

Old 10-31-2022, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Alain321
Bonjour sur quel site avez vous achetez votre mongoose
In the link on the first line of my post above! :-)

Old 11-01-2022, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by gijoe50000
So, the cable arrived today, and it seems perfectly fine.
The quality seems good, the cable is soft and flexible, not like the hard "cheap" stuff. And it's working without a problem on Windows 10 with JLR SSD v1.62 on Windows 10, without a VM.

I spend a few minutes messing around with it on the car, no problem reading the VIN, scanning for codes, reading the CAN, etc, but now I just have to learn how to use the software properly.
It took just under 2 weeks to arrive, came with a CD (does anyone even use these anymore?), so I suppose it's not a bad deal for €45.
Obviously from China, since they seem to have no problem with putting the DrewTech name on it..

hello on the photo it is an original copy that you have just received it works well? and which site did you receive this original copy that I see on the photo

Old 11-01-2022, 12:40 PM
Default maongoose

hello on the photo it is an original copy that you have just received it works well? and which site did you receive this original copy that I see on the photo

Old 11-02-2022, 12:36 PM

hello to all I bought a v163 sdd pro clone at 45 euros I installed the program with patches for windows 10 64 bits the obd2 usb j2534 interface communicates with the car and sdd software without turning on the ignition. if i switch on the ignition with my obd2 cable even without connecting it to the pc they light up all the warning lights on my dashboard and errors if someone could tell me where i can buy an obd2 usb j2534 interface for jaguar not too expensive the program works well thank you in advance

Old 02-22-2024, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some cables don't do the mid-speed CAN bus

I know this is an old thread, but I've been through a couple cables on my X150 (2010 XKR), and most of the clone cables can't see the mid-speed CAN bus (can_ms) -- which was the bus I needed to access for the the seat alignment (PSM = Passenger Seat Module).

This cable worked, though. : https://www.ebay.com/itm/315129817881

This is what the JLR SDD software looks like with all the busses working (note that I didn't set the date back on the laptop yet, which is why it's giving the "functionality disabled" message):

Yes, it works fine in a VM, which was easier than installing

This is what it looked like on the other cables, that couldn't see the mid-speed CAN bus:

Note that one of the cables that didn't see the ms_can caused the whole bus to glitch - so, when I tried to turn on the car, it would just turn itself off and not even start (I had the "battery support" charger giving the battery some extra power, so it wasn't a low-battery issue). I had to unhook the battery for 5 minutes to rest it all.

Old 07-01-2024, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by B2's XKR
I know this is an old thread, but I've been through a couple cables on my X150 (2010 XKR), and most of the clone cables can't see the mid-speed CAN bus (can_ms) -- which was the bus I needed to access for the the seat alignment (PSM = Passenger Seat Module).

This cable worked, though. : https://www.ebay.com/itm/315129817881

This is what the JLR SDD software looks like with all the busses working (note that I didn't set the date back on the laptop yet, which is why it's giving the "functionality disabled" message):

Yes, it works fine in a VM, which was easier than installing

This is what it looked like on the other cables, that couldn't see the mid-speed CAN bus:

Note that one of the cables that didn't see the ms_can caused the whole bus to glitch - so, when I tried to turn on the car, it would just turn itself off and not even start (I had the "battery support" charger giving the battery some extra power, so it wasn't a low-battery issue). I had to unhook the battery for 5 minutes to rest it all.
Sir, the link to the cable which worked, that you recently purcased, is no longer active it seems (well, not for me in NZ) - are you able to share more details of the one that works, and some details of the ones that did not, so that I may try to buy one that works please.
Many thanks!

Old 07-01-2024, 10:31 PM
Default This cable is from the same seller -

Originally Posted by toppwill
Sir, the link to the cable which worked, that you recently purcased, is no longer active it seems (well, not for me in NZ) - are you able to share more details of the one that works, and some details of the ones that did not, so that I may try to buy one that works please.
Many thanks!
This new cable listing is from the same seller that sold me the working one -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31550039360...mis&media=COPY

The bad cable was a cheap one from an overseas seller, and was shipped direct from China.

Old 07-08-2024, 03:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B2's XKR
This new cable listing is from the same seller that sold me the working one -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31550039360...mis&media=COPY

The bad cable was a cheap one from an overseas seller, and was shipped direct from China.
So, to be clear the listing shows the cable and the latest software. Is this correct?
Jon

Old 07-09-2024, 01:13 AM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Years ago, I purchased a DrewTech Mongoose directly from DT in Ann Arbor. I think that the nice lady on the phone was Mrs. Drew(?)
It was an effort to be honest (hardware part anyway) and safe.
If the JLR mongoose is no longer available, a "gray market" Mongoose may be rationalized in this "gray area".
The quality of the gray market units varies. So, consider opening the unit and inspecting the build. If it looks professionally done, it will probably meet your needs.
So go for it! The best way to learn is by doing. Yes. it is possible to screw thing up. Don't program your Jag in the driveway behind a vehicle that is needed in the next few days. It is possible to disable your Jag using IDS/SDD. But it's not so easy to actually BRICK the car. It just may take a while to learn how to correct your mistake...
Contingent upon: always use a battery maintainer and actively monitor the voltage. 12.5V minimum.
If the battery voltage fails at a critical time and you inadvertently proceed, it is possible to delete both the primary and redundant module programming.

There is a lot of information available on this site and others. Read, read, read. Then boldly go forth knowing the 12.5V is present and your car will forgive almost any mistake. Eventually.
Good luck and happy diagnostics and programming!

PS: All Mongoose are made in China. Just different lines, techs and QC. The latest gray market units that I have seen have a raised mongoose label and look perfect except for a one-meter vs 6-foot cable.

Last edited by Bill400; 07-09-2024 at 01:36 AM.
DaveAllen (07-09-2024)

Quick Reply: I just ordered this Mongoose cable, anything I should know?