X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I look to all of you for an unbiased take - is the x type a good choice - please read

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I look to all of you for an unbiased take - is the x type a good choice - please read

Hello to everyone on the forum,

This is my first post after many many years of love and appreciation for all things Jaguar. People in my family have had many cats from the seventies on, and a family member worked for the company designing fashion and accessories.

I have yet to buy a Jag - but am thinking seriously about it - as I believe they make the best used purchases.

My question is simple; is the X a good car - and by that I mean - is it a smarter buy (5 speed manual 3.0L) than an S type R or XJR? I know they are apples to oranges but I believe the S is not as good looking and the XJR(305) is really a big car.

To get a low mileage 2005 X with a 5 speed and modify it with springs, shocks, quad exhaust, 19 inch rims, air take and ECU remap could make this car a 3 series beater (perhaps even 335i) and look better while doing it.

Is the car safe? Reliable? What are the possible set backs in real world scenarios.

I have had people say the car is great - people say the car is bad - and dealers and mechanics say it was a mistake and it is problematic.

I will drive it as a daily driver and take my family in it from time to time, though most of the family hauling is done with an SUV.

Any and all opinions are appreciated - I feel I know everything there is to know about the car except for the real world daily driving and ownership experience.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK.. What are you looking to spend on a Jaguar? If you want to get into a Jag without spending a ton of money and want AWD then the X is for you. Look for the 04/05 if you want a manual trans X, they stopped US production of the manual in 05. OR a 04 and newer if you want to go with an auto. Jaguar had the X pretty much sorted out once the 04's hit the dealer floors, I have an 04 and it has been pretty damn reliable for me.

If you have some more money to spend then go for the S-Type R or XJR, 04 and newer models.. 03 was the first yr of the STR and it had its share of issues, and 04 was the fresher style of the XJ line. They are great looking cars with some nice power out of the SC 4.2 v8 engine. I would like my next Jag to be a low mileage STR or XJ/XJR

If you can buy it from your local Jaguar dealer so it is certified with the Jaguar select warranty. And just like any car, be regular on the services/oil changes, etc and you really shouldnt have any issues.

I love my X and it still gets looks whenever I am driving it. And with the manual trans it makes my drive to work a lot more fun.

Take your time, check out a few different cars and then make up your mind. Whichever model you choose you will enjoy. GL

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a warranty. Parts and labor are expensive, and things will break.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

It is a good car IMHO. I like the way it handles and the AWD system is very good. It is apples and oranges with the other two as you already metioned. If you live in a snowy climate I would stick with the X if this is to be your DD. I'd be tempted for the STR if you lived in a warmer place.

If you have the occasional rear seat passenger, the X is fine. But if it was normal thing to have a rear seat passenger you may find it a little small.

Even with your indended mods, it is unlikely the X will be a "3 series beater" in any form other than the looks (and perhaps traction) department. The aftermarket as far as engine performance goes is very limited.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The x was marketed as direct competition to the 3series if that says anything. As far as springs and 19" wheels, this is a jaguar for crying out loud not a civic. The x is a great car that will outhandle most and the awd is yet to screw me in NY winter

Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Get a manual trans and you'll be happy with the car. I can't vouch for the early models, but my 06 has been trouble free since I bought it new (knock on wood). I HATE the auto trans, it's horrible at shifting down when you floor the car (passing on highway). I would have gotten a manual if it was available for that year.

Other than that, it's a great solid car.

Last edited by spielnicht; 01-11-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fastcat
Hello to everyone on the forum,

This is my first post after many many years of love and appreciation for all things Jaguar. People in my family have had many cats from the seventies on, and a family member worked for the company designing fashion and accessories.

I have yet to buy a Jag - but am thinking seriously about it - as I believe they make the best used purchases.

My question is simple; is the X a good car - and by that I mean - is it a smarter buy (5 speed manual 3.0L) than an S type R or XJR? I know they are apples to oranges but I believe the S is not as good looking and the XJR(305) is really a big car.

To get a low mileage 2005 X with a 5 speed and modify it with springs, shocks, quad exhaust, 19 inch rims, air take and ECU remap could make this car a 3 series beater (perhaps even 335i) and look better while doing it.

Is the car safe? Reliable? What are the possible set backs in real world scenarios.

I have had people say the car is great - people say the car is bad - and dealers and mechanics say it was a mistake and it is problematic.

I will drive it as a daily driver and take my family in it from time to time, though most of the family hauling is done with an SUV.

Any and all opinions are appreciated - I feel I know everything there is to know about the car except for the real world daily driving and ownership experience.
Jaguar X-Type is rated this DECADES WORST CAR. My engine is jacked up, they want more for it than the worth of the car. Go find something else that more reliable and less expensive to fix....

Old 01-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

It is unfortunate you have had a bad experience with your X htkenan.

It happens, and it happens to all brands. A friend of mine managed to get a Lemon Law Honda Accord if you can believe that.

The chap wants an unbiased opinion. Can you say yours is unbiased after you dropped debris down a spark plug hole, damaged your motor, and now are pissed off about the car?

It is expensive to fix, yes. Just about anything in this vehicle class is expensive to fix. Blow a motor in a comparable BMW or MB and I doubt the repair bill will vary more than a few hundred $. The advice of a warranty is solid.

Internet ratings of "worst car" make nice copy to draw clicks, but the reporting and analysis is usually not very thorough or informative. The X shows up more as a failure of Jaguar to support the vehicle in terms of marketing and updates, than the mechanics of the vehicle itself.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by htkenan
Jaguar X-Type is rated this DECADES WORST CAR. My engine is jacked up, they want more for it than the worth of the car. Go find something else that more reliable and less expensive to fix....
Strange, it was rated one of the Top Ten Most Reliable cars in 2007 by JD Powers. I know you're p----ed, but don't list unsupported claims, unless you got the source that is and willing to share.

No one is saying there aren't any bad X-Types out there, but generally speaking the X-Type fairs very well.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM

^Ya I thought he had that backwords. Ive read from numerous sources that the x-type was rated one of the BEST top ten cars

Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you also can see, There's all kind of deep emotions around this brand and that's why I turned on x-series... it makes an enormous emotional impact on it. I know that everything can be demolished, but if you take care of this car as it should be taken care, It will be joy of your life... There's some issues in my imported x-type, but because of this community, I don't worry a bit, technical information really is awesome here. When compared x-type with 3-serie, we are talking about two totally different things... Sensitivity against aggressiveness and I don't want to mix these things in together.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Jaguar is still a very stately car that draws attention every where you go. People see me pull up in my Jag (32 yrs old with a good job) and they "wow things must be good you drive a Jaguar".. I down play it but people see the car and come to their own conclusions, usually very good ones..

As someone said before if you live a place that gets its share of bad weather, then the X is the way to go. Mine hasnt let me down either and the AWD system is great, I get through what some SUV's with 4wd cant get through. Some people get the lemon others get the gem.. Purchase your X or whatever Jag you get from a Jaguar dealer so it comes with the select warranty.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pete04xtype
I think the Jaguar is still a very stately car that draws attention every where you go. People see me pull up in my Jag (32 yrs old with a good job) and they "wow things must be good you drive a Jaguar"..
Thats a very good point. Not a day goes by where I dont catch people of all sexes and ages checking my car out.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Like others have said, getting any kind of meaningful performance gains over stock out of this car is all but impossible without spending untold time and money. You would pretty much be custom fabricating all kinds of things as there are virtually no after market performance parts available, but if a person has the ability, motivation, money and time anything is possible. But then chances are your long term reliability will most likely suffer. Surf enough on here and you'll see what I mean. If you want a sporty daily driver that is so much better looking than so many other cookie-cutter cars out there for not a lot of money, that can get you through virtually any weather, I can't think of a better choice. If you do your research up-front and check out the particular car you get interested in I think you will be handsomely rewarded. Take the time to search and search and search this site until you know the car intimately. Anything good or bad about these cars is on here. I know when I was looking for my car I can't tell you how many hours I spent on here looking things up about it. Took a lot of time, but it was time well spent.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks for the Input

Thanks to all who responded.

It appears that the responses mirror everything I already seem to know about this model, and the options for other choices as well.

I do want to point out to 85_305 that many tuners including Arden and Nothelle from Germany have put 19 inch wheels on the X with a body kit, ECU remap, springs, brakes, exhaust, etc. and the car looks to good to be true (of course as many have mentioned, it gets expensive and may not make sense at that point over an STR, although I still think it is better looking).

Also, for those who have not already done so, check out www.x-type.org.uk or www.jaguarforum.co.uk for great insight as well as photos including some of a couple of X types with 19" XJR wheels added. The car looks amazing. They have also run several articles in JAGUAR WORLD MONTHLY (UK mag) on the car, modified and otherwise.

Again, thank you all for the input and I look forward to more posts and discussions on this site - cheers!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Because 19 inch and bigger wheels have been done, that does not necessarily mean it should be done. But alas, that is a personal preference and the owner has the right to decide that.

Remember that members of this forum are from all different parts of the world, and what may be available in one part of the world, is not in others. I think the point some members were trying to make is that cosmetic changes are available and can be done, however "performance" upgrades/modifications are less available (engine tuning, specifically), and if that is something you are indeed interested in to be aware of this fact.

Only you can decide if the X (or any car) meets your needs based on your own situation.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

The only real issues with larger wheel on an x is that the wheel tire assembly can only be so big before it interferes the the front lower spring perch. To go larger in wheel size meens dropping the aspect ratio of the tire to a point where you have rubber band tires. Ok if you like the trade offs, rougher ride, having to keep higher than normal air pressure(like 38-48 range) to keep from blowing a tire or bending a rim on every little pothole

Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
The only real issues with larger wheel on an x is that the wheel tire assembly can only be so big before it interferes the the front lower spring perch. To go larger in wheel size meens dropping the aspect ratio of the tire to a point where you have rubber band tires. Ok if you like the trade offs, rougher ride, having to keep higher than normal air pressure(like 38-48 range) to keep from blowing a tire or bending a rim on every little pothole
I have 20x8.5 ET42 front and 20x9.5 ET45 rear with 235/30/20 all around and absolutely zero rubbing. Rubber bands indeed, but these are light for 20s (around 26 lbs) and I like the look:

Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

You must live where the roads are smooth or at least decent. Here in Potholeburgh anything larger than 18's or so and you'll become best friends with your wheel repair shop.

But alas, they do look nice and that is pretty light for a wheel that big. You rolled your fenders though right?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 PM

If you do decide on the Jag you might get hooked on it like I am. It's lovely to drive and goes like stink. It's got a few faults but it's getting on a bit and has covered over 100,000 miles. There's nothing else comparable as the 3 series hasn't got the looks, the MD C Class hasn't got the power and the A4 is plain and boring. I've got 18" rims with 225 40 18 Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tyres and intend to drop it about 30mm and replace the exhaust with a Borla system. I reckon 250 BHP is achievable for not too much money and won't hurt the rest of the car!