Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to stay away from Jaguar car shows - ABFM Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts
Default I need to stay away from Jaguar car shows - ABFM Pics

Not a lot of love for modifications today. Land Rovers were impressive (see below).

The 2002 X-Type in the foreground got second in my class.

White S-Type behind mine got 3rd in class

This one deserved to win - and it did. Full Arden performance modded.

[img][/img]

Land Rovers on display were my favorite part of today - here are a couple. I guess VW wasn't the only camper game in town...

Old 07-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

dang, that looked like a neat show. What did the classic jaguar guys have to say about the stance (in there words, lowering) of your car?

Last edited by Jaggyx; 07-25-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
dang, that looked like a neat show. What did the classic jaguar guys have to say about the stance (in there words, lowering) of your car?
Most were polite, but of the people I overheard (who didn't realize I was the car's owner) they generally thought I ruined a perfectly designed car. The most accepted mod was the factory accessory roof rack.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks like a great show
Your car is different and a good example of the styling that can be achieved on these cars.
Like the wing vents and wheels!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks for the pics, I believe the white car near you was S Type too . Looks a decent show indeed .It's for sure your car got some attention , no wonder that

Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

exexpat, you discovered the same thing I noticed at the Jag show in DC last year. Most of them thought that a jag should be left in a factory state, regardless of whatever flaws the car may have. The guys that modified their cars were for the most part looked down on. I say it is your car, you do with it as you see fit. But, they don't see it that way.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by exexpat
Most were polite, but of the people I overheard (who didn't realize I was the car's owner) they generally thought I ruined a perfectly designed car. The most accepted mod was the factory accessory roof rack.
Yeah, I could totally see that happening. The older Jaguar guys love the stock look and the old british look. Chances are they dont even like the new xf or xj because they dont have that traditional look to them. As thermo said, just do what you like to your car.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:50 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Let me know when it is next year, I'll tow the TVR down with the XJR. Using a factory hitch of course.

Although, I must admit I don't get the desire to carry your bikes to a freaking car show. Made fun of quite a few like minded Saab and Volvo owners who felt compelled to bring their bikes to Carlisle this past year only to leave them on top of the car. Does this mean I'm just missing the cool thing to do? Should I strap down my Sailboat and bring my ski box to the next car show?

Last edited by benebob; 07-25-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by benebob
Let me know when it is next year, I'll tow the TVR down with the XJR. Using a factory hitch of course.

Although, I must admit I don't get the desire to carry your bikes to a freaking car show. Made fun of quite a few like minded Saab and Volvo owners who felt compelled to bring their bikes to Carlisle this past year only to leave them on top of the car. Does this mean I'm just missing the cool thing to do? Should I strap down my Sailboat and bring my ski box to the next car show?
Acctually, roof racks are now a very trendy thing. I have a friend in the JDM scene who has a roof rack on his mitsubishi. A friend with an e46 bmw with a roof rack, and a friend with a volvo 850 with a roof rack. For some reason roof racks are an in thing right now, and I must admit I do like them.

EDIT: I added a pic for you to see the volvo and the mitsubishi (both with roof racks)

Attached Thumbnails I need to stay away from Jaguar car shows - ABFM Pics-4806280120_2894e1b34f_b.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggyx; 07-25-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 PM
ud

And buying a prius to drive it 80mph is also trendy as was acid wash jeans and a mullet. That doesn't mean it belongs at a car show or even on the car unless you're planning to use them. Would you go to a car show with a utility trailer filled with cow crap if it was the tready thing to do?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by benebob
And buying a prius to drive it 80mph is also trendy as was acid wash jeans and a mullet. That doesn't mean it belongs at a car show or even on the car unless you're planning to use them. Would you go to a car show with a utility trailer filled with cow crap if it was the tready thing to do?
I actually went straight from the show to the bike trail at Juanita beach (near Kirkland, WA) to ride with a friend (the bike on the passenger side). Function trumped form in that case.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:04 PM
ud

Which is just fine IMO the 30 or so idiots who put their bikes ontop of their cars to take them to Carlisle in May had no other reason then to have you look at a cheap plastic aftermarket rack holding bikes that look like they've never been ridden. Pretty cool huh.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this X looks very cool, I don't know how it deal with speed humps, but it looks great!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I could totally see that happening. The older Jaguar guys love the stock look and the old british look. Chances are they dont even like the new xf or xj because they dont have that traditional look to them. As thermo said, just do what you like to your car.
I have to admit, even though I'm not old (25), I tend to prefer stock to modified vehicles, as well. That goes for almost all cars, not just Jags. I don't mind some tasteful appearance upgrades or true performance mods, but I get a little annoyed with people taking a perfectly good-looking car and ruining it with ugly 20-something-inch chrome rims (which usually ruin the ride and handling because of the added unsprung weight and often make the car slower because of the huge amount of rotational inertia) or some ridiculous wing that creates more drag than downforce. Just my two cents.

I do like the new XF (have only seen one or two pictures of the XJ, so I'm withholding judgment on that so far), but I have to admit that it just doesn't look like a Jag to me. Beautiful car, but Jags are supposed to be unmistakable, whereas the new ones look kind of like just another luxury car.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Well yes I will agree, 20" chrome wheels are just not for a proper Jaguar. But any wheels bigger than the stock 16's will make the car slower but not necessarily handle worse. There is a lot less sidewall felx on my 18's than there is on my 16's there for I can corner better because my tire doesn't fold. Ofcourse I totally understand you point with the wheels. And yes those ugly ricer aluminum wings really aren't helping the fwd traction. With stupid mods liek that I agree, a jag would look much better stock.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by blackcat
I think this X looks very cool, I don't know how it deal with speed humps, but it looks great!
I press a button, and half a second later, the car is 5cm higher.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Car looks good! LOL at 2nd in your class, its just a stock X Type on 16s.

I'm all about bringing my bikes to bigger events like this too... Walking is for suckers!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Well yes I will agree, 20" chrome wheels are just not for a proper Jaguar. But any wheels bigger than the stock 16's will make the car slower but not necessarily handle worse. There is a lot less sidewall felx on my 18's than there is on my 16's there for I can corner better because my tire doesn't fold. Ofcourse I totally understand you point with the wheels. And yes those ugly ricer aluminum wings really aren't helping the fwd traction. With stupid mods liek that I agree, a jag would look much better stock.
Sure. I have no problem with swapping out the stock 16s for a sportier set of good-looking 18-inch alloys (although the older a car gets, the more I appreciate pristine original conditions over mods—I think that puts me in line with many, if not most, classic car enthusiasts). In fact, from what I can see of the mods, I would say the XKR that OP says took best in class is an example of a well-modded car—a few tasteful appearance tweaks and some real performance upgrades.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CarLuva
In fact, from what I can see of the mods, I would say the XKR that OP says took best in class is an example of a well-modded car—a few tasteful appearance tweaks and some real performance upgrades.
You're right. I just can't get into tasteful appearance tweaks though. Since the X-Type will never perform well regardless of the performance upgrades, I need to ruin the car with over-the-top stuff, reflecting my poor taste.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 PM

LOL, okay Jeremy. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Quick Reply: I need to stay away from Jaguar car shows - ABFM Pics