X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to stay away from Jaguar car shows - ABFM Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Well yes I will agree, 20" chrome wheels are just not for a proper Jaguar. But any wheels bigger than the stock 16's will make the car slower but not necessarily handle worse. There is a lot less sidewall felx on my 18's than there is on my 16's there for I can corner better because my tire doesn't fold. Ofcourse I totally understand you point with the wheels. And yes those ugly ricer aluminum wings really aren't helping the fwd traction. With stupid mods liek that I agree, a jag would look much better stock.
Really? Then why have so many different Jags come equipped from the factory with 20s in the last few years? That includes factory chrome wheels... The diamond machined finish on the older model XKR wheels is beyond baller. Too bad the rear 20x10s only come in a +60 offset, otherwise youd see those on my car (dont want to run a 30mm spacer though).

So if you replace your heavy, cast aluminum 16s with a set of forged 18s your car will be slower? I usually tell people to try and avoid broad, sweeping generalizations like this on the forums because you will always get noobs who will read that one statement and take it as 'the gospel.' There are a ton of factors to take into account besides just wheel weight: different tires have different weights as well, their stickyness is a factor, proper tire sizing, suspension setup, etc.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
Really? Then why have so many different Jags come equipped from the factory with 20s in the last few years? That includes factory chrome wheels... The diamond machined finish on the older model XKR wheels is beyond baller. Too bad the rear 20x10s only come in a +60 offset, otherwise youd see those on my car (dont want to run a 30mm spacer though).

So if you replace your heavy, cast aluminum 16s with a set of forged 18s your car will be slower? I usually tell people to try and avoid broad, sweeping generalizations like this on the forums because you will always get noobs who will read that one statement and take it as 'the gospel.' There are a ton of factors to take into account besides just wheel weight: different tires have different weights as well, their stickyness is a factor, proper tire sizing, suspension setup, etc.
Because the average Jag owner likes to brag that they spent $2k to replace their tires. I'd love to swap my 18s on the XJR for some 16s and bias ply hoosier road course tires so the car actually handles the power as it should and corners properly. Too bad the brakes won't allow it.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm a little late on the subject, but +1 on the roof rack. I love it, and want it, just have 13 other things that are ahead of it in the financial responsibility dept.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Jeremy,

+1 on the roof rack, Its unique and not common, which is great, it really does serve a purpose, not just for "show".
I saw the s type behind ya, anything impressive interior or under the hood?

I'm still looking for the deal you got on your rims everywhere, i want them lol.

But honestly I think your ride would do better in a more modern-modified based car show, as you and some others said, most the old schoolers like classic and stock appearence. I would have had the trunk open to show the stock look you got going maybe a few more fractions of a point to help.

Bottom line the Bags and Rizzos are f'n classy in my opinion. Let the haters keep hating.

-FabFive

Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

wow wow wow calm down here bud. I know you can get a good set of HRE, VOLK or any branded forged wheels that are much lighter. I just didnt say that in my post. Im referring to not only my set of heavy wheels but yours aswell. As for the 20" we are posting in the x-type forums so obviously I'm talking about 20's on the x-type. There have been Jags that come with 20"s yes, chrome yes. Ghetto crappy looking chrome, no.

P.S. even if those wheels did come in a different offset, you could run them without modification. We have 5x108 those are 5x120.

Last edited by Jaggyx; 07-27-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
P.S. even if those wheels did come in a different offset, you could run them without modification. We have 5x108 those are 5x120.
Not sure we are talking about the same set of wheels... The ones I'm talking about are 5x108 and would only fit with spacers.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Not sure we are talking about the same set of wheels... The ones I'm talking about are 5x108 and would only fit with spacers.

The XF is 5x108. The others models with factory 20s are 5x120. That should explain it [/threadjack]

Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

alright sorry about that jeremy...

Old 07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing Jeremy. We hope to make an appearance next year.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exexpat, very nice. I also saw your car in another website www.modifiedcars.com, like what you did inside as well.
A few question...
Did you do the full body trim or just the front?
The wing vent looks like from an XK or XJ...did you have it modified to show the signal lights?
What is the system you used for your Stereo DVD/Navigation? Does it it include the one on the headrest?

Thanks. I'm in the Seattle area & if you have time would like to see your X type in person...

Old 07-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rockyf
Exexpat, very nice. I also saw your car in another website www.modifiedcars.com, like what you did inside as well.
A few question...
Did you do the full body trim or just the front?
The wing vent looks like from an XK or XJ...did you have it modified to show the signal lights?
What is the system you used for your Stereo DVD/Navigation? Does it it include the one on the headrest?

Thanks. I'm in the Seattle area & if you have time would like to see your X type in person...
Hey Rocky! (I've always wanted a legitimate reason to say that)

The vents are from an XJR that I purchased off ebay (from a guy in Everett surprisingly). I shaved the rears down and spent the better part of 2 days modifying, painting, adhering and finishing them on the car. My goal was not to odify sheet metal in case I hated them. More detail here (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34484)

The in-dash headunit is a Windows 7 PC sourced from an Acer Aspire 1 netbook. I have headrest monitors and aftermarket amps driving the factory Alpine premium speakers. It sounds great, has many functions, but requires a little patience to use. I have a long commute to Microsoft, so I love it. More on that here (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32560)

Even fellow Microsoft technical staff think I'm nuts, but I've had the most fun tackling these projects. Air ride was actually the most challenging and it still isn't "done" yet.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The silver XKR with the Arden mods is my own car, thanks for posting it!

Jim

Old 11-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JRE-XKR
The silver XKR with the Arden mods is my own car, thanks for posting it!

Jim
With pleasure. Your car was my favorite "modern" Jaguar. Awesome work and nice talking to you there.