X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I may let the x-type go, and buy a new car. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
It sure sounds like you are mature beyond your years and have your priorities straight. To even be thinking about these things at your age is pretty impressive. Even if your ultimate decison doesn't pay off for you the way you want, it would be a short term setback at best and from what you have posted I could see you would use it as a learning experience and long term you will make many more bigger decisions in your life that will pay off. I wish you luck in whatever you decide.
Thanks for the kind words. I am a senior in high school right now, but almost a college sophomore. I took the equivalency of 21 credit hours between high school and college. All night classes, and boy was it brutal. Every night after finishing, I always enjoyed having a nice car to enjoy, and that is something I want to keep whether it's the Lincoln or jaguar. I commute to save money, and have completed a good chunk of course work already which enables me to have the affordability of a nice car on my side. I will keep everyone posted as I progress through my research and decision. I love my jag, but don’t want emotion to get in the way of my ultimate decision and financial security. I appreciate the kind words immensely, and all the insight everyone with more car buying experience has given me. Going to a lot and test driving cars with (some ) salesman thinking I am easy money is always an initial hurdle. Quickly they figure out, I have done my homeowrk, and know my stuff. I really appreciate all the insight you ALL have provided. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Been there done that. I changed my mind like you are between selling and keeping....i payed the 15000 in repairs...and it was not worth it. i got 5000 for it, miss it and the whistles but its not worth the repairs. Mine was a 02 with a 2.5 with 99000 KILOMETERS...and im a student tooo

The following users liked this post:
Jaguarnewbie2011 (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Im in college for pre med which is very expensive and the jag repairs started gettting more and more and more frequent and costly. I sold it. maybe not buy a lincoln but what about a g35? they come in awd too.

The following users liked this post:
Jaguarnewbie2011 (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm wondering if I have missed something. Are you looking to replace the car because of repair bills that might pop up with the X?

A tech said that based on the milage you are looking in the near future to having to replace the trans and Transfer Case?

Are you having any issues right now with either? Transmission slip, gringing coming from the transfer case?

If you answer yes to the above then sure, sell the car and look at getting a Civic or something to use as a daily commuter but if you are basing the decision on what a tech said could happen you should rethink everything?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Disco: I am really not sure what to do, but have watched the progression of your situation, and would much rather avoid costly repairs.

Sidewalkman: I am basing this on what the techs told me, and a spike in repair bills. They are going up every 6 months, and frankly if I had a tc case failure or tranny go out, I would be kicking myself that I didn't sell when things were good on it. I would honestly much rather apply the 2-3K for those big repairs to a new car by simply just avoiding those potential repairs. I am not having any issues with the TC case or tranny, which is part of the reason I think now might be a good time to sell. I would NEVER feel right selling someone a product that I knowingly believe the tranny would go out on in the near future. If something like the tranny was ready to go, I could always trade, but the value would be a loss compared to what i could get now. I am just wondering if keeping the x-type for another year is worth the risk of big repairs. Thanks, for the suggestion on honda, but i am not a fan of the honda brand. Thanks EVERYONE for the insight.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Repairs and time

It is true as a car gets older it will need to be fixed, some cars more than others. I have been driving for many, many years and heard the every 6 months from mechanic a lot. IMHO it is hogwash. Up until 2002 I would keep a car 2 or 3 years and trade. I very seldom bought a new car, always a car 2 or 3 years old, low mileage from a new car dealer, as they keep the good and auction off the bad. In 02 I bought a 99 Mercedes Benz C Class with 28K miles on it and 2 years factory warranty left. I sold the car last year and bought an 03 Xtype with only 23045 miles on it. The Benz, aside from regular service was only in the shop for repairs twice in all those years, once for a MAS and the second time for a loose underpan, Benz cars underneath are covered in metal only the engine area and rear end are open for repairs. But when I would go in for service the service car would say, your car is getting older and after 4 years I think he said, repairs start to come at 6 month on average. BS. The reason I sold the car was I had a very hard time getting in and out of it. As in 01 I had a major back surgery and it did not go well and my back steadily got worse. So I started looking for a new car that I could get in and out of easier. I tried the X and I could and still can slide in and out without pain or contortions. But the Jaguar for the first six month was not trouble free. It had cliches, electrical mostly, long story short the battery finally went on the car last November, when I had the new one installed all and I mean all the electrical problems disappeared. I do have a big problem with a broken auto level right headlight, but I found a "repair kit" and my mechanic is working on it now. My point of this epic is don't believe the 6 month crap, and don't believe you have to change your oil every 3K miles either. Both are urban legends to sell product and repairs. IMO the car dealer and repair business are the most overpriced and one of the more shady industries.