X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want my baby back!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I want my baby back!

Got my 02 x-type towed to the shop on Monday because I lost my transmission in it (see "tranny issues" post earlier this week). Now the warranty company FINALLY gave the shop the green light to repair it. So my baby will be in the shop for another 8 days or so... and the dealership where I bought it (stupid GM dealership in town) loaned us a piece of $#!+ 08 Impala to drive in the meantime... and now we got a foot of snow the day before yesterday and I am stuck driving a FWD car with no traction control on snow and ice... and to top it all off, this thing handles worse than an ocean freighter! Ugh!

okay... enough venting... back to work now.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

get into an online battle of world of warcraft for the next week...before you know it, you'll have it back! (and with a whole different appreciation for her)

Sometimes it is hard to pass the time, wish you luck!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

What are you moaning about?
The warranty company are paying...result
Try driving a RWD auto XJ even on just a mildly frosty morning and everyone else on the roads has to beware....mine was the only car sliding sideways up a hill towards cars parked on the side of the road,has no grip while all the FWD cars are ALL going past!
I have to pull over, reverse into a side street, gingerly creep back down the hill and then take the long way around
Wished Id had a front wheel drive Impala (whatever an Impala is?)
In my 3.0 X Type I would have been able to accelerate up the hill no problems!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The body shop had my X for over 6 weeks to repair a fender bender.

Put that in perspective.

My Range Rover has been in the shop for a week and a half to fix a keyless entry problem. Yes, keyless entry problem. I have a RAV4 as a loaner for that, I leave it parked.

I have had the unfortunate opportunity to drive a new Impala on travel for work a few times. It does ride nice and has plenty of power, but completely devoid of steering feel and I don't think you could possibly make a cheaper looking interior.

Call off work sick until you get your X back.

Last edited by The Chris X; 12-11-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

GM still making FWD crappance, (the last word is actually a null one lol ) ? When you say Impala it should be RWD and big body . Shame on GM
Anyway, back to your topic I hope you would get back your X soon . Nice to see that '02 Jaguar makes a better impression over late model Chevy !

Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM

RWD is more fun to drive, no doubt about it. And it is perfectly fine if you live in California I guess. For the rest of the world that sees snow and ice, if you cannot get AWD, then FWD is the way to go.

There was a huge snow storm yesterday, even by our Canadian standards, and I was driving my X with summer tires. There is a law now in Canada that you need winter tires after December 15th, so pretty much everybody has them by now besides me because I'm late for a visit at my dealership. But anyway, I had no trouble at all drifting the car for the first time ever, and it was the best time I've had driving it since I got it. The only problem that I had was breaking because the ABS kept kicking in and it was annoying as hell. In the meanwhile, I was watching all the RWD Cadillacs, Lincolns, BMWs and others equipped with winter tires and it was pure comedy.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

hey...... i'm stuc with my moms 08 implala, it has amazing torque, and ride comfront, and yes it handles like s***, but we can't forget the other stuff, when we got our x types back, well love them that much mor and in my case not try to do a u turn on a road with snowdrifts covering the curbs. Plus if i B**** about it, then i won't have a car at all lool.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Smile Yay!!!

I got her back today! YAY! Oh boy did I ever miss that ride! Okay, so it currently smells a bit like transmission fluid... and that unmistakable smell of a new exhaust pipe (that busted while they were taking it off to replace the tranny... so they had to install a new one)...

All is well that ends well... now I have 2 years to wreck this tranny before its warranty wears out. Cool!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

When I had my tranny swapped after filling and final assembly they got fluid on the exhaust downpipe, I would smell it whenever the windows were up. Finally I got under there and cleaned it off with some simple green, rags, and then hit it with some emery cloth to really get it all off. You might wanna check it out. That stuff sure stinks when it's burning.

Oh, and Welcome Back!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Nice to see you got her back
Happy driving w/o trouble free miles

Old 12-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

kinda like an early Christmas present...

Old 12-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha that's funny. My friends' M3 and CLK500 with winter tires are quite a bit better than my x-type with all-seasons in snow and ice. Yes I can launch quicker. But they completely owned me at braking and cornering. And that is what is important for preventing accidents in snow.

I'm getting winter tires next year. AWD + Winter Tires = Beast

Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

It's always surprises me that there are so many people out there that have no clue how important tires are. AWD IS great getting through snow, but it doesn't do a whole lot when stopping. Just because you have awd doesn't mean you can get reckless. I don't know how many SUVs and such will pass you going what I consider reckless speeds on the freeway when things are snow covered, especially when it's the light powdery stuff that ices up easily. When I got my car it came with performance tires which were fantastic in summer, but I knew I wouldn't go anywhere when winter came. Made the decision to go with all seasons because I'm just too lazy to swap out tires twice a year. They are pretty good in the winter, but I understand the limitations and have never been close to ever feeling I would get stuck. Still have to watch it stopping and cornering, but if you use your head the X won't let you down!

Old 12-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
It's always surprises me that there are so many people out there that have no clue how important tires are. AWD IS great getting through snow, but it doesn't do a whole lot when stopping. Just because you have awd doesn't mean you can get reckless. I don't know how many SUVs and such will pass you going what I consider reckless speeds on the freeway when things are snow covered, especially when it's the light powdery stuff that ices up easily.
Totally agreed, except I would correct "it doesn't do a whole lot when stopping" to "it doesn't do ANYTHING when stopping". Some people seem to think all- or four-wheel drive will make them invincible on snow and ice; strange, they usually end up in snowbanks.

I also have all-season tires on my X-Type, but they're kind of performance-oriented all-seasons, so I was a little concerned about how they would do in the snow. I've been pretty impressed though—I've seen a lot of people in trucks and SUVs with pretty beefy tires sliding all over the place, but I've only had ABS kick in once or twice. Of course, it probably helps that I grew up in Maine and know how to drive in the snow, unlike most people where I live.