X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If not for speed, then why did you buy an X.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If not for speed, then why did you buy an X.

It's been a long time since I posted. I bought a 2003 2.5ltrX with 40,000 miles at a salvage auction 2 yrs ago. I posted then about how my BUDDY was a repair man and he was repairing the car. After 8 months of him delaying the repairs, he finished. He then added an additional $2000.00 to his bill for xtra labor. It was a handshake deal with a friend that ended up with a lawsuit, and settling for $1000.00 over in labor, but $4000.00 over the initial agreement, including additional parts, or new parts instead of used. I learned my lesson the hard way. Now that you know my situation, I fell in love with the X at the auction. I know it is not worth half of what I paid. I am reading so many negative post or replys about the X with reliability or speed. So I am wondering " Why did you buy your X?"[X(]

Also my X has a sports suspension button. Does this mean it is a sport model?

Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: If not for speed, then why did you buy an X.

Because for the money and ability..it is a quick little four door sedan with a whole lot of splash of luxury.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Bought ours because I loved the looks. I've always liked Jag sedans especially the older 3.8's and Marks. My true love is the XK120MC but will never have the money to get one. When I seen our 03 X-type on the lot I knew I wanted it. There were 2 others available but I didn't do any more than glance at them becauseours isBRG and that fact alone closed the deal. The price was right and we got a good price on our trade. Even with the problems of expense of maintainance etc I still do not regret getting it. Even though I'm 70 now I do all maintainance myself.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,895 Likes on 3,202 Posts

The lines. I love the XJ8's and wanted one of those, but got a pretty good deal on my X-type and settled for that for the moment (almost the same lines). For the cost, the X-type is a quick car and has the power where I want it (down low). Most of the modern day cars may produce more power, but it is all at very high RPMs. So, unless you are slipping the tires off the line, the X will be quicker off the line.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1) I got a great deal on the car
2) I snowboard, so the flip down rear seats and AWD are a huge plus.
3) I'd rather get a entry level luxury sedan than a hooked up civic.
4) Its a gorgeous car.
5) Always wanted a Jag. Never liked BMWs, Lexus,or MB's (unless their M or AMG of course)

Old 12-07-2008, 03:19 PM

I bought mine as a treat for a significant birthday. It is not new but looks as good as new and drives like a dream. It's the luxury and comfort I deserve at my time of life!

Old 12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Like alot of others, it was a question of "How much car can I get for the dollar in the price-range I'm in?"

I'll be brutally honest: This is one of the slowest cars I've ever owned. And certainly THE slowest of those I've owned in the last 10 years. (I average 2 cars / year, with 3 drivers in the house)

I once owned a CORVAIR that was faster, for hell's sake.

But it has the best leather of any car I've owned, including my Range Rover and my Maserati.

When I decided I could no longer afford the fuel in my pickup, I went looking for a commuter car that would be nice enough to take clients in, reliable enough that I could count on it in the cold weather here. And my budget was $3500.
Well, I quickly found out that there's a lot of TRASH in the $3500 range. So I expanded my search to $6000, and found this car.
AWD was something I wanted, but not a deal-breaker. And after driving an automatic version of this car, I knew that the 5-spd was essential.

I don't belong to the 'snooty' way of thinking about Jaguar ownership. It's just a car. IMO, This car is NOT on par with other luxury Euro-sedans (including other Jaguars) when it comes to performance, reliability (particularly the '02) and features, but it is significantly less expensive than those I'm comparing to.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the car is fast enough, I had my fill when I was younger. I really like the look of the car, in the past I have either lowered, changed rims or done some kind of exterior modification. The X is staying just the way it is. I love the way it looks and rides.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Because its a JAG! I love the distinct lines of the car and of coursemy Leaper, lol. And yes there is a certain status to owning a Jaguar, even if it is the runt of the litter. But what has made me glad that I bought it started the first time I left an M3 at the light (yeah probably driver error, but feels good none the lees), and cruised on the highway at 100mphfloating like I was barely moving, and every time Ive done that since(that would be daily). For me, I wanted a luxury car at an economy car price. The speed is a nice extra, and its good enough for me.

And (if Im not mistaken)the S Mode button has to do with your tranny, not suspension. The monochrome coloring, minimal dark wood or carbon fibertrimand upgraded rim size usually indicates the Sport model. Guys?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM

What about the sports suspension button. Does this mean it is a sports model.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, that one. Thats the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control)/traction control button. Im not sure if that one is specific to the Sport model either. One of the guys needs to come in here and help you out with that.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

DSC is not specific to a Sport model. I have it and mine is not a sport model.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

What Bo said, for the most part.
A bit of "uniqueness" that you don't see on every corner like a 3 series. The rear wheel bias for great handling. The AWD for the nasty weather. The fact that I am 6'5" and can fit in the front seat. Reasonable fuel economy for AWD. Enough power. Like others have said, not the fastest car I've had, but good enough.
And I got mine for a steal.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Winter beater. AWD that isn't a Subaru or Audi. Manual trans. But mostly? It's a Jag!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been a mustang owner the past 10 years and always get an itch for something different. I switch and then kick myself for selling the Stang. Well, I got that itch again mid summer and came across my 05 Black sport. I wanted something unique that stood out in crowd and was aggressive looking. Needless to say, with it all blacked out and then ground effects kit the sport comes with I traded it in. Also I am commuting now to work and the AWD was a big plus when looking. So far I'm 100% pleased. And I've got to say, for only 230 HP, it gets up and hauls pretty quickly.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 PM

I'm really new to the Jaguar family. When we were looking for this vehicle, we looked at several dealerships atthe BMW 3 Series coupe and a Volvo something-or-other. The BMW's seats were too uncomfortable (as far from the 5 Series as one could get) and it was very awkward the way the gas pedal was affixed to the floor. The Volvo's ride was pretty rough. And then, sitting in the corner, we saw this X-Type. It had extremely low miles (a 2004 with 24,000 miles) and it was in excellent shape. We researched safety features, crash test ratings, reliability scores and reliability reviews and the car had what we wanted and needed. The AWD was another big plus (suburb of Chicago). We test drove it and loved everything about it. Plus, the price was pretty good and it is a Select Edition (certified pre-owned from the Jaguar/Mercedes dealer it came from).

Throughout my life, I've been accustomed to optioned out Yukons and Suburbans, the BMW 5 Series, and top-of-the-link trucks (if that isn't an oxymoron). My parents always had very nice cars. And quite honestly, I don't think the Jag is bad in the power or reliability department. I'm not comparing an entry-level luxury vehicle to an ultra-luxury vehicle, though.

I am really enjoying this car and I'm glad I made the purchase.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about the same for me. I went looking for a BMW and found a racing green 04 X sitting on the parking lot. I had been in a couple of Jags and loved them. So, we did the test drive. And the research. I came to this forum and asked a lot of questions. We made the decision and never looked back. It had 32,000 miles and was in immaculate shape.Fast doesn't matter anymore as, someone, said,I did fast years ago. I took a long trip in this summer and I almost felt I'd never left my living room.

It's great on snow, my wife and I look damn good in it and......it's a Jag!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Jag with the 2.5 liter and automatic. I rarely beat on it so it does not seem all that slow for me. I like the way it looks and where I am all I see is the BMW's.

Quick Reply: If not for speed, then why did you buy an X.