X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which option should I take?
Boot Plinth?
37.04%
Me too mesh grille?
22.22%
Parkboy delete?
3.70%
Save my money?
37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

I'm Bored and Need to Change Something, Help Me Decide

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Xx_Four_Stroke_xX
I like the looks of the plinth, I did a quick search and nothing came up. Were did you find your potential mod exexpat?
adamesh.co.uk

Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what a plinth is, but what the hell is a parkboy?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RSVG
I know what a plinth is, but what the hell is a parkboy?
the little parking sensor piece under the rear bumper. when the first aftermarket ones came out in 1997 or so, they were called parkboys originally (or the company was). It beeps annoyingly at you when you put the car in reverse. The piece to delete those sensors looks waaay cleaner than parking assist piece.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would delete the parking sensors first and foremost.. The non-parking aid rear bumper looks soooo much better IMO.

Next I would do the plinthy thing.. A little hint of chrome wouldnt be a bad thing on your car. I've always thought that they shouldn't have made that part body colored on the sports package cars anyways.

On an unrelated note.... 150 quid for an Arden shift knob!?!??!?!?!?!??! Is it made from the bones of a Sabretooth tiger and then dipped in diamonds?? wtf

Last edited by ufoz8mycow; 10-08-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by exexpat
I just threw up a little in my mouth picturing that. again, more chrome than this would be overkill. I don't buy the whole dechrome=sporty thing. these are not sporty in any way as it is.
I'm not a big chrome fan, too many if it don't go, chrome it guys here. I like the sport models and the fact they don't have the little chrome pieces on the bumpers, so that said, get the grill. I think that small amount of bling and the fact it's a cleaner look that the split grills makes the case. Also your car is so distinctive that it would add to it.

I looked at the adamesh Estate body kit and have to admit, if I had a couple of grand sitting around I'd do it.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
I would delete the parking sensors first and foremost.. The non-parking aid rear bumper looks soooo much better IMO.

Next I would do the plinthy thing.. A little hint of chrome wouldnt be a bad thing on your car. I've always thought that they shouldn't have made that part body colored on the sports package cars anyways.

On an unrelated note.... 150 quid for an Arden shift knob!?!??!?!?!?!??! Is it made from the bones of a Sabretooth tiger and then dipped in diamonds?? wtf
It's expensive to own and maintain a castle.

Eine 1000jährige Geschichte

Zwischen Kranenburg und Kleve, am Rande des kleinen Dorfes Mehr liegt versteckt, in der Weite der niederrheinischen Landschaft der alte Rittersitz Zelem. Kopfweiden und Pappeln bilden die natürlichen Grenzen in dieser flachen Landschaft, wo sich das Blau des Himmels mit dem sanften Grün der Wiesen vermischt.
Die Wasserburg Zelem blickt auf eine 1000 jährige Geschichte zurück, die ihre Blütezeit im ausgehenden Mittelalter bis Ende des 18. Jahrhunderts erlebte. Burg Zelem ist die einzige Burganlage, die die wechselvolle Geschichte im Bereich Kranenburg überlebt hat und noch heute als mittelalterliche Burg erhalten ist.
Im Wappen der Firma Arden Automobilbau GmbH vereint die Burg Herkunft des Firmengründers und durch die farbliche Gestaltung in Racing Green seine Leidenschaft zum britischen Automobil.Um mehr Informationen über die Burg zu erhalten, lesen Sie bitte weiter unter www.burg-zelem.de

Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile back up sensor

the little parking sensor piece under the rear bumper. when the first aftermarket ones came out in 1997 or so, they were called parkboys originally (or the company was). It beeps annoyingly at you when you put the car in reverse. The piece to delete those sensors looks waaay cleaner than parking assist piece.
Your post made me curious, you said when you put the car in reverse it beeps annoyingly. I had a Mercedes before the Jaguar and it had Parkmatic, the same thing as the parking sensor, and when you put the car in reverse the Parkmatic started beeping immediately. However on the Jaguar the backup sensors don't start to beep until I get to about 5 feet from an object, that by the way has to have enough mass to set them off. So I am wondering is the Jaguar's are working correctly.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Your post made me curious, you said when you put the car in reverse it beeps annoyingly. I had a Mercedes before the Jaguar and it had Parkmatic, the same thing as the parking sensor, and when you put the car in reverse the Parkmatic started beeping immediately. However on the Jaguar the backup sensors don't start to beep until I get to about 5 feet from an object, that by the way has to have enough mass to set them off. So I am wondering is the Jaguar's are working correctly.
On my 07 x type it goes off when I am nearing an object only. On my C280 I didn't have any rear assist.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh Ok, Parkboy is the SEFPAS, semi effective female parking assistance system. I get it now.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
I park in a garage with single doors per car, so it basically beeps from the get-go, then stops while I'm on my driveway and beeps again at the 20 degree angle meeting of my driveway and the street. Then I don't hear it again until the next morning.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RSVG
Ahh Ok, Parkboy is the SEFPAS, semi effective female parking assistance system. I get it now.
Now if they made them to go in front of and behind wheels pointing sideways, we could save some wheel lips from curb destruction by the female population. Sorry, maybe that is a poor generalization and it is only true for my wife - if so, apologies ladies.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

Update: so based on your feedback, I made a couple of purchases. The 2008 OEM boot plinth and 2008-style Mina Gallery mesh grille are on the way. I'm in Berlin now until the 13th, so no pics for a while. Guessing the items will arrive to my empty office while I'm out.

I have a request out for parkboy delete bumper strip, but I actually do get some value from my annoying little beep strip now (yes, it does function as designed) so I'm still on the fince with that one. Sorry, Alan.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member

Another update and preliminary photo:

I'm guessing the 2008 boot plinth is coming soon.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

How about one of those horns that play "LaCucaracha", and some hydraulics to make it jump up and down?

(I miss Mukilteo. Have been poured out of a few bars there after missing the ferry more than a couple of times! Have you gone North and driven Chuckanut Drive into Fairhaven/Bellingham yet? Or the South Skagit Hiway from Sedro Woolley up to the Mountain Loop Road that takes you into Granite Falls? All good fast drives with lots of curves, and close to your home!)

Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
How about one of those horns that play "LaCucaracha", and some hydraulics to make it jump up and down?

(I miss Mukilteo. Have been poured out of a few bars there after missing the ferry more than a couple of times! Have you gone North and driven Chuckanut Drive into Fairhaven/Bellingham yet? Or the South Skagit Hiway from Sedro Woolley up to the Mountain Loop Road that takes you into Granite Falls? All good fast drives with lots of curves, and close to your home!)
That horn came with airbag kit, I just haven't put it in yet

Edit: I went to WWU and commuted weekly from Snohomish County - I know all of these roads well. The canyon road (I-82 I believe) going from Yakima to Ellensburg is my favorite - you just need to keep your passenger looking up for airplane speed tracking.

Last edited by exexpat; 11-14-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Another update and preliminary photo:

I'm guessing the 2008 boot plinth is coming soon.
Hmmm, I'm not sure I like it.....I think it's the chrome. But like I said, I'm not a big fan of chrome.

I'm looking at my front end and have some sketches of what I want it to look like. More on the lower but was going to get the same grill as you....not sure now, might go back to the drawing board.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm... I'm on the fence about the 08 grille on your car. I think the look might work a little better if the chrome mesh was black. It looks good either way, just not sure I like it more than the original grille.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
Hmmm... I'm on the fence about the 08 grille on your car. I think the look might work a little better if the chrome mesh was black. It looks good either way, just not sure I like it more than the original grille.
It does look better in person. I went with stainless mesh to tie in the growler and upcoming rear boot plinth a little more. Don't get me wrong, I hate chrome as much as the next guy, but this actually fits my theme. Here are a few more craptastic photos from the Microsoft garage:

I promise to get decent photos soon. Good photos will sell most of you.

Edit: Forgot to add that the windshield is now tinted 35%. The tinter did it perfectly - actually this is the only time I've ever been 100% satisfied with tint work.

-Jeremy

Last edited by exexpat; 11-15-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Grille

I think I like the OEM grille a bit better. As someone said in all black it might be a better look.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It does look better in person. I went with stainless mesh to tie in the growler and upcoming rear boot plinth a little more. Don't get me wrong, I hate chrome as much as the next guy, but this actually fits my theme. Here are a few more craptastic photos from the Microsoft garage:

I promise to get decent photos soon. Good photos will sell most of you.

Edit: Forgot to add that the windshield is now tinted 35%. The tinter did it perfectly - actually this is the only time I've ever been 100% satisfied with tint work.

-Jeremy
I think the grill looks great! I'd put the lower mesh grill though.

Quick Reply: I'm Bored and Need to Change Something, Help Me Decide