X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immobilizer issue (follow up)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 06:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Immobilizer issue (follow up)

I previously posted about a mystery where suddenly the car gave me a "security failure" and wouldn't start, though I was able to get it going again after disconnecting the battery. That was about two months ago, no problems since until today, where it happened again (with a different key). This time, disconnecting the battery did not seem to work. There was no pattern to the red light flashing, just about a minute of very fast flashes.

However, it mysteriously started after two or three failed attempts after I sat there for ten minutes cursing my fate.

I'm back to being extremely concerned by this problem, but still, there doesn't seem to be any good way forward. I saw a lot of suggestions about battery problems, but would that fit it suddenly deciding it didn't have a problem? Or is it likely some ruinous electrical issue.

Eta: 2006 wagon

Last edited by novium; 11-13-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

novium, based on what you are describing, I would say the next time it happens, try to keep the key in the START position. Then I want you to try 2 things for me. The first is to simply move the key around inside the tumbler. Lift it up, push it down, move it front to rear, in circles, whatever direction you can think of to see if the car suddenly starts. If it does, then odds are you have a bad ignition switch. If the moving of the key does not make something happen, turn the key to the START position and with your free hand, move the gear shifter around and also try stepping on the brake and shifting the car to NEUTRAL as you are holding the key in the START position.

Lets see what you have at this point and then we can eliminate things and start narrowing the issue down some.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
novium, based on what you are describing, I would say the next time it happens, try to keep the key in the START position. Then I want you to try 2 things for me. The first is to simply move the key around inside the tumbler. Lift it up, push it down, move it front to rear, in circles, whatever direction you can think of to see if the car suddenly starts. If it does, then odds are you have a bad ignition switch. If the moving of the key does not make something happen, turn the key to the START position and with your free hand, move the gear shifter around and also try stepping on the brake and shifting the car to NEUTRAL as you are holding the key in the START position.

Lets see what you have at this point and then we can eliminate things and start narrowing the issue down some.
Thank you. I hope it doesn't happen again soon, but it is a relief to have a starting point
Thank you!

Old 11-14-2021, 04:38 PM

@Thermo So my dad was able to replicate the problem by wiggling the key around. We'll see if he can replicate getting it working again. Blerg.

What's involved in replacing the ignition? Does it require a lot of computer stuff?

Old 11-14-2021, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts
Old 11-14-2021, 05:23 PM

Thank you, but I think right now my question is less about how to remove the part and more about how badly f*ed I am with this problem.

Old 11-15-2021, 04:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Novium, I think the question really is how easy is it to move the key around to get the car to start. if it is easy, then no big worries. Finding that sweet spot and tickling it just so, that may be a royal PITA. Replacing hte switch is not that bad from what I have read. Getting the part is not that expensive. Just have to take the time and do it.

Old 11-15-2021, 04:38 PM

Novium, I think the question really is how easy is it to move the key around to get the car to start. if it is easy, then no big worries. Finding that sweet spot and tickling it just so, that may be a royal PITA. Replacing hte switch is not that bad from what I have read. Getting the part is not that expensive. Just have to take the time and do it.
Thanks. It seems that wriggling it doesn't do the trick, but it's possible that temperature change does. My dad's mechanic is taking a look at it now, says he's heard of something similar, so we'll see.

Old 11-16-2021, 06:37 PM

Ugh, mechanic has had no luck. He took it apart and cleaned it but no luck. I'm really worried I've got an unsolvable problem and a very expensive paperweight

Last edited by novium; 11-16-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:19 PM

Update: looks like it's the actual ignition reader thingy. It works as long as the ambient/internal temp is cool (~60 degrees).

Does anyone know what the options are if the ignition transponder fails?

Old 12-03-2021, 07:40 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

When my car failed to start, at the E-Check inspection right in the lane, I had it towed home.

It turned out to be the electrical part of the switch. It comes off the mechanical part of the ignition switch very easily. Should be a 30-minute fix at worst case.

I pick one up off eBay for $10. I keep a spare in my toolbox to ensure it will never fail again.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Larry-Cleveland
When my car failed to start, at the E-Check inspection right in the lane, I had it towed home.

It turned out to be the electrical part of the switch. It comes off the mechanical part of the ignition switch very easily. Should be a 30-minute fix at worst case.

I pick one up off eBay for $10. I keep a spare in my toolbox to ensure it will never fail again.
Did it give you the security failed message when that happened? Can you send me a link to the part / remember what it was called?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2021, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

C2S46880

The following users liked this post:
novium (12-03-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 07:32 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

On my cay, it blew a fuse and would not crank.

This is the part I replaced.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26434616528...4AAOSwWrNcLE7Z

Low cost and easy to do.