X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMT seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question IMT seals

I read on here they can be changed quite easily. Just undo the 2 bolts (each) and pull them straight out. I believe the bottom can not be removed all the way but should still come out a little?

Both of them on my car will not come out at all. The top one does not budge and I am afraid if I pull any harder I will break something. The bottom one will spin (is this normal?) completely around with no resistance but again will not come out at all. Any suggestions? Not a big deal to remove the intake once again but would really rather not.

Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

useally if they dont comeout they have green Orings installed already. Would not be the first time Ive seen the upper done and not the lower. You can either slip the new orings around the back of the bottom and into the channel, or use a pry bar under the boss of the right lower bolt and pry up alittle using the cam cover as a fulcrum.It always gives just enough to slip the IMT unit out pass the cam cover. Reverse to install

Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 PM

Neither appear to have any gaskets from what I can tell by prying up a corner (still working on getting them out). There is a bunch of liquid gasket material around and under both .

Old 04-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Karmak
Neither appear to have any gaskets from what I can tell by prying up a corner (still working on getting them out). There is a bunch of liquid gasket material around and under both .
If as you say there appears to be some liquid gasket material in the area behind the flanges then someone has apparently done a goofy repair job and you are stuck with the resulting problem. If you can spin the housings in their bores, then I would try spraying some WD40 in there and see if that helps in getting them to slide out. You placing a small screw driver behind the ears that the bolts pass through and alternate from side to side seeing if they will come out.
If you get them to come out then clean any foreign material out of the bore and off of the valve body before re-assembly. The top valve will come completely out and you install the new seal over the valve from the inside. The bottom valve will only come part way out, because it will catch on the manifold itself. The old seal will have to be cut off and you will need to remove the electrical connection and stretch the seal over the bolt ears from the front side of the valve to install it. There is enough elasticity in the seal so it will go over the ears easily.
This is a very easy job when you don't encounter your problem. I just did mine a couple of weeks ago and it took me maybe 15 minutes or less.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM

I was able to get them out finally. Thank you all for the input! 1 screw driver under each ear and twist did the trick. Should I be concerned the 2nd one came out? I have not read of this happening to anyone else. I was twisting it around a little to try to get some of the gasket material off and it came right out (the bottom one).

Name:  P4142847Custom.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  122.0 KB

The following users liked this post:
Aonsaithya (10-18-2013)