X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indicators stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indicators stopped working

I have read the previous threads to this problem but mine had different symptoms,the os indicators stopped working and he instance I indicated ,put the hazards on and no lights but it was showing as indicating on the dash,then I locked the car and left it a minute and they would work when locking and unlocking the car,the only bulb that was partly working was the rear indicator but the could see the headlight also slightly flashing on and off,so I smacked the headlight and low and behold they all started working again,so either there is some iffy wiring in the os headlight or an iffy bulb , recently had extra bright ones fitted at Halfords(I like all the skin on the back of my hands) so maybe it could be related....

Old 03-14-2024, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts

Mustbemad, well, I hate to say this, but the problem is somewhat self-induced. You do not state the year of your car, but I can only assume that because you "upgraded the headlights to extra bright" which normally means to me that you went with a higher power halogen bulb. If this is the case, that is a very bad thing for the X-Type as the stock wiring in the headlight is not capable of handling the stock 55 watt bulbs. It literally burns the insulation off of the wiring at the bulb. You put in 65W or even 100W bulbs, that wire is going to turn into a toaster heating element and well, you can start to imagine what that will do. At this point, I think your best bet is to remove the front bumper cover and then remove the headlights and replace the bulbs to the stock 55W bulbs and then repair the wire coming off the back of the halogen bulb with a high gauge wire (there are new connectors with wire attached that you can buy from a local auto parts store). These will have a high temperature insulation on them and be a slightly heavier wire to handle the power of the 55W bulb.

If you are truely after a brighter bulb, then the only answer that I can recommend is doing a conversion over to HID bulbs. For a good set of HID bulbs, you can plan on spending $75 USD plus and a few hours of your time. If you pay someone to do it for you, then it will be $200+ USD (depending on how many hours they charge you for and the grade of kit you get - remember, a cheap kit does not mean a long lasting kit). If you want to know more about HID headlights and whatnot, just look up my name and HID and you will find a lot of information I have out there about HID headlights and the conversion.

If I am making wrong assumptions, please include the year car, whether you have the factory halogen bulbs or the upgraded HID system (the HID system will have a sticker in the driver's door jam indicating that the car is equipped with HID headlights), and any other pertinent information. The more information you can give me, the more likely I am able to help diagnose the car. But, smacking the headlight and having things go from being awry to working is pretty telling to me. Granted, it is possible that you melted the headlight connector. Then, well, you are in for a real fun time. Do not want to be the bringer of bad news, but I know how touchy the X-Type headlights are to the heat of headlight bulbs.

The following users liked this post:
Mustbemad (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2008 2.2 sports premium
I didn't fit or choose the bulbs that was done by the shop so I'll be back tomorrow to get them changed back to stop anymore damage........