X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside of Headlight assembly loose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside of Headlight assembly loose?

I went to replace the park light bulb today and while trying to remove the bulb the inside reflectors came loose.......anyone have advice or same experience?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

remaricle, you have just become a member of a broken headlight assembly club. Unfortunately, the fix for this seems to be getting a new headlight assembly. Some have had some luck with epoxying the support structures back together, but in the end, even that will fail resulting in the loose bulb problem. I have had a few assemblies apart to take a look at it and there isn't much that you can do about it. If you are not sure what to do and wouldn't mind a little bit of a trip, come on down south to my place (I live near California, MD) and we can pull out the assembly, do some gluing/epoxying and then help support the assembly with some other stuff I have. I can't garantee a permanent fix, but it will give you some time to save up some money for a new headlight assembly. New they run about $400, you can get them used on e-bay for around $100, but beware, a lot of them there suffer from the same thing you have already. So, if you do go that route, ask them specifically in an e-mail to the seller if all the supports for the headlight assembly are intact. If they are not sure what you are talking about or do not answer, then odds are they have a bad assembly. This will give you some grounds if you do buy one that if it shows up broken, you can get your money back.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Thanks dude man I was thinking that might be the case......ah the joys of ownership. At least I can now look for the part and get on with the fix. This might be the time to consider the upgrade to HID.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
you have just become a member of a broken headlight assembly club.
Lmao, I think there should be a single thread made for just this problem and for everyone who has an X-type when you first join it's mandatory that you read it.

But yeah.. everyone and their mother has had this issue, I used JB-Weld and glued the parts back together as well as drilling tiny holes and running a pair of zip ties to hold the light in place. Works fine ever since, now about the HID upgrade.. Idk if anyone else has this problem but when I hit bumps with my HID's they flicker from the bumps.. Looked it up and for some reason the H1 bulbs are too heavy for the stock headlight housing? therefore the bulb goes up and down even though everything is tight.. So I just dumped mine and went back to stock, heartbreaking because I loved the setup but I didn't feel like doing a retrofit. Hopefully you don't have the same problem but good luck..

Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 PM

A little Jack D and some JB Weld and you are back in business......did you do both sides or just the broken one? Sorry to hear about the HID prob. By the way how long has this held up for you?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did both sides, just one side was broken but It's better to be safe then sorry. I basically just put JB-weld on the none broken one around the area that would break so it has a little bit of extra hold to it. Yeah the HID setup was flawless, had 5k in the headlights and fogs it was epic haha but that's my luck. The repair job has held up for a few months now (3?) not sure exactly how long.. but trust me with these NY roads there are potholes everywhere and it's been fine ever since.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM

Hey thanks man. Looks like the bumper will be coming off tomorrow.!!!!!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same problem and i just upgraded to 8k HIDs so you can really see the cutoff line. Where exactly is it broken and where did you drill the holes for the zipties?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

spooky, the headlights break on the 4 mounts that hold the reflector to the rest of the headlight assembly. If you can pull the headlights out of the car, you will see the 4 posts I am talking about (located in the 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock positions). As for using tie straps, you can slide them between the internals of the headlight. It isn't a quite straight line, but you will be able to figure it out. Using thinner tie straps will make for a better retainer as they will flex around things better. The internals are not that heavy, so, you don't need anything to support a lot of weight.

The following users liked this post:
Spooky pantz (06-25-2011)