X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing front lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Installing front lower control arms

So the main bushings in my front lower control arms busted during the install of my struts and springs... Especially on the passenger side which is the first one I attempted. I didn't realize how fragile they were and was really pressing down on the control arms to try to get the struts out and new ones in. The bushing started dripping oil and next thing I knew there was a good size puddle of oil under it. I could see cracks on the top of the bushing too, so it looks like they were about time to be replaced anyway. My drivers side also dripped a bit of oil, though not nearly as much. I had figured out the trick to getting the struts in and out, so I didn't need to put so much pressure on that bushing. It did drip a little however, so it was probably time to be replaced. I ordered two new lower control arms for the front, the passenger side arrived, the other I am still waiting for. The two main things I am concerned about in the installation is getting that main bushing bolt out... I can see that space is limited and heard it was tricky. Second thing is the ball joint. I've never worked with ball joints before, although I did just replace an outer tie rod end. I am told I just need a pickle fork and hammer. There is also another style of tool, but the pickle fork sounds the easiest. What about reinstalling the ball joint? Do I need to do anything special or does it just bolt into place like the tie rod end? Any help with the lower control arm install would be appreciated, thanks. My car has been rattling real bad over bumps ever since. On smooth roads it handles fine but on any kind of bumps it makes a lot of noise and does not feel good. Not sure if driving on it is damaging my suspension further, but I am going slow over bumps and avoiding potholes. I read somewhere that you can still drive on worn control arms for a while, just not really fast. Anyways, the noise is driving me crazy and I want to get it fixed soon so I can get it aligned.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Received 185 Likes on 149 Posts

I just had to replace the lower control arm on the daughters Neon, I know a Neon.
the pickle fork works graat for splitting the ball joint but it will destroy the rubber dust cover. hopefully your new control arms come with new ball joints if not rockauto is a good place to get new ones and they bolt right in. The ford focus has a kind of the same set up as our little kitties, check out youtube for vids on replacing the control arm on the focus or replacing front bearing that will put you on the right path.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM

Ok, I will thanks for the advice. Yea, the new control arms come with bushings and ball joints, so luckily I can just swap them out. The rattling is really driving me crazy. I want to get my car fixed and get on with it.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 AM

While you are at it I would check your sway bar links and bushings Just replaced mine and that helped a lot with the banging going over bumps.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:11 PM

Ah ok, good to know. They looked a little worn but probably reusable. I may switch them out if there is still a problem with noise after I do the control arms, or just as an upgrade. Do you mean those little arms that go behind the rotors? Or are you also referring to the actual bushing the big sway bar goes through? I saw they sell poly versions of those for around $20, but they look a bit tricky to install. My rear sway bar has a weird star bolt on those main bushings, not sure where I would find a tool to fit that, probably Harbor Freight or ebay maybe.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-29-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:20 AM

you can pick up some torx head sockets from your local auto supply like autozone or pepboys. Its a T55 they cost about $6. they also have a nice little set for around $20 that have a selection of sizes up to T50 if i remember correctly.