X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument cluster repair and cloning

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 10:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instrument cluster repair and cloning

I have an instrument cluster that seems to be shorted and is draining the battery.
Does anyone know a company that can repair mine or program and clone a used one from my old one?
Jag Dealers will not touch it and say a used panel cannot be cloned.
Has anyone figured out how to bypass the security crap on this car so we can keep driving a great car without the electrical hassles> Jag seems to have given up supporting what i think is a pretty good car.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:13 AM

My bad....the car is a 2002 X-Type!

Old 11-19-2021, 04:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts

cmilktm, first off, quit going to the dealership. From what I can tell, a lot of them are starting to go to a "if it is more than 5ish years old, we don't want to deal with it" attitude. Find yourself a good independent (indy) mechanic. They will be able to do a lot more for you than you think. In your case, if you get a new cluster, the indy can install the cluster, use a dealership level computer (some members have it, it is referred to as SDD), and program the cluster to work with your car. With that being said, if you do a google search, there are services out there that you can send the cluster to and they will refurb your current cluster and fix the issues. Which way is cheaper, not sure. The cluster repair process will have your car down for say 2 weeks as the cluster gets mailed to and fro. So, you have to factor that in too.

As for the security system, the only way that you will be able to bypass that is to rewire the whole car. It was purposely made difficult to bypass to make stealing the car less desireable. in short, the security module sends a signal to the ECU to allow starting of the car. So, it is not like you can simply bypass a relay contact or two and poof, security system is bypassed. You would need to somehow reprogram the ECU to not look for that signal/command when starting the car. Seems easy, but some have looked and didn't get very far.

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (11-19-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the response thermo!!

so just to be clear.

I can install a used cluster (same part number) i purchased off eBay in the car and the car will start? Or will I need to take it to a shop that has the software you described to get it running?

Reading on the board here everybody says I need to get the cluster cloned or programmed to get the car to run with the replacement cluster.

I don’t care about updating the mileage on the cluster.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts

You need the instrument cluster and keys from a doner car to replace it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3g20GOhVAoc

If you do not, then it has to be programmed to the car/keys with dealer level software.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cluster-74958/

Others under SEARCH...

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 11-20-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, can be cloned, they call it data swapping but essentially same thing, you source an identical replacement (same part number|) and send them both they will clone the data for you then you wont need keys etc and replacement will have same security data for immobiliser

https://electrotech-uk.co.uk/instrum...data-swapping/

cheers