X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake manifold help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Intake manifold help needed

looking for a little help from any one who has removed their intake manifold. i know about the gaskets, throttle seal, four bolts out of sight, yada yada. heres the question.

how do you remove the vacuum lines from the intake? there are two on the top of the manifold, on the drivers side of the car, and one on the back side, with like a 2" recessed rubber plug.(this one may be a wire, not sure looked really quick)

do they twist out? pull out? do i need to pry it out? have a special tool for the job?

and the plug looking thing? twist, pull, pry????

the reason i ask is these plastic tubes are usually fragile. dont want to pull when i should've twisted, bob when i should have weaved, catch my drift? any help is appreciated, thanks guys. -stevis05

Old 12-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Steve, it is best if you use a flat bladed screw driver. What you want to do is push the pipe into the opening until it stops (don't need to press hard), then using the flat bladed screw driver, get under the lip of the retainer and lift up as you are lifting up on the pipe. You want the pipe and the retainer to move at the same speed (if anything, let the screw driver push the pipe up). Once you get the retainer up about a 1/4" (6mm), you will be able to lift up the pipe and remove the assembly.

Easy smeezy.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts

thanks Thermo. i just went out and tried it. i started with the one near the throttle body. pushed it in, flatblade to pry lightly, couldnt budge it. rocked it back and forth while pulling and prying, got it out, but a little piece of the internal clip broke. tried the other and broke off most of the prying surface, TWICE! and didnt get it to budge at all.

gonna just look for replacement vacuum lines now and see if i can get just those little clips you put in manifold(which is all that broke) or if i gotta buy the line too. hopefully its available aftermarket or replacement and not dealer only. thanks for the help, but seeing this has never been done on my car it was too old and brittle. -stevis05