X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior trim and front bumper solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior trim and front bumper solutions?

So after buying the jag I had to replace the passenger interior trim panel b/c the fabric started coming apart and it was hanging around looking messy. 2 years later the same has happened to the right side panel. Has anyone ran into this and is there an easy solution? I tried using a car adhesive last time but it bled through and looked terrible. Pins? I'm assuming this is happening because of the Arizona sun and heat. If i remember correctly it was around $86 to replace last time and I'd rather try a less expensive alternative.

Also,

The bottom of my front bumper (thin plastic piece, not sure what it's called) is all ripped up. How much does this guy go for $(cant look up without the name, Valance?). Is there any solution, possibly sanding down the plastic and painting?

Thanks for any ideas

D

Attached Thumbnails interior trim and front bumper solutions?-p1010830.jpg   interior trim and front bumper solutions?-p1010831.jpg   interior trim and front bumper solutions?-p1010832.jpg   interior trim and front bumper solutions?-p1010833.jpg   interior trim and front bumper solutions?-bumper.jpg  

Old 09-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

DMS, do you have to have fabric there? I only ask that as the older X-Types have plastic panels there. That would prevent what you are experiencing. The only other thing that I would recommend is getting some 3M spray adhesive and then after removing the trim piece, pull some of the fabric back to make a nice/easy fold (need to expose the back of the fabric). From there, you can apply a light coat of adhesive, wait a minute or so for the glue to get tacky and then you can fold the fabric back over without it leaving any marks in the fabric. The reason why you got the marks (atleast from my experience with the 3M stuff) is you applied too much glue. That will cause the glue to bleed through and really raise hell.

As for the trim piece under the bumper, JTIS calls it an undertray assembly. It may also be referred to as the radiator splash shield. Both names are used.

Personally, the little lip that it has provides no real use other than stiffening up the plastic when it is removed from the car. I would pull out an orbital sander and sand it smooth with the rest of the undertray. The other "purpose" for that lip is to help divert air out to the sides of the car vice having it go under the car, which helps with mileage of the car. You can possibly get some angled plastic to place over it to provide a bigger lip in an attempt to get more air movement out to the sides of the car, helping your mileage. The downside to this is you are limiting the air flow under the car which would be limiting the airflow to the transfer case. You will still be getting air under the car, but not as much. Your call.