X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod docking station questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have a pic or know of a person who has changed the headunit for a single din or double din unit?

My single din unit has Ipod control so wondered if it was possible to use that instead but I've never seen a vehicle with it done.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM

Like what Gus said, Best buy has the iSimple connectors (i believe the Ford one fits our cars) that plug right into the CDC port. They even do free installation, so its about $139 plus tax which isnt bad. BUT, and its a major BUT, a lot of best buy's wont do Jaguars, I had to go to about 3 or 4 before one would take it.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, if we could get a definite about the ford isimple fitting, I'd be there yesterday- the install sounds like my 6 year old could do it.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Think I may pay the local dealer a visit this weekend to see if they can fit an Ipod controller unit or something along them lines.. maybe even fit my headunit. If they can do it, then I can do it myself lol

Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ipod addition

I had an ACM fitted to my 2005 Xtype by a dealer as an aftersale and it worked very well. The Jage price for the unit over here is about £160 + fitting whic will need to be programmed by Jag as the unit fits into the Fibre optic audio canbus.

Another method would be to get a Harman Kardon 'Drive and play' This fits into the ariel lead and programs into the radio as a channel (mine was 108.00Fm). You get a screen to fit on the front windscreen and a control knob which I fitted near the gearstick. All the ipod menus come up on the display and the knob allows you to change them whilst still having an eye on the road. The unit was originally £99 but I have seen them on Ebay for around £20-30.

I still have a new one, but with the XF with Ipod I use a 16Gb memory stick but that has to be in MP3 and therefore do not need to fit the unit.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know I think the FM Modulator units are the way to go. My IPod won't hold all my music, so there are going to be times when I want to listen to the CD player, or if you get a new CD that hasn't been put on you MP3 player yet, and ya can't wait to get home to listen to it. Or how about you pick up your buddy and he says, "hey wait to you hear this new CD" and wants to pop it in the unit. I like having the option of playing what ever I have, with out loosing something, giving up a bit of sound for the option of having all ways to listen to music, I think is better.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...spx?PID=DP+1US check out the URL as it may help as it will leave your CD connection intact plus the newer versions have USB support as well as Ipod. These are available on amazon.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by somekidzenvy
Like what Gus said, Best buy has the iSimple connectors (i believe the Ford one fits our cars) that plug right into the CDC port. They even do free installation, so its about $139 plus tax which isnt bad. BUT, and its a major BUT, a lot of best buy's wont do Jaguars, I had to go to about 3 or 4 before one would take it.
I think I'm going to look into this. Do you know the model number you got?

And does it go into the CDC (changer) path? I don't have the stacker installed so I guess after installation I'd have to get it reprogrammed at the dealership correct?

I listen to Satellite Radio via FM modulation and it sucks (as does anything else FM modulated) and would also like to add either iPod or USB flash to play MP3s from.

The following users liked this post:
aluni2230 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
I think I'm going to look into this. Do you know the model number you got?

And does it go into the CDC (changer) path? I don't have the stacker installed so I guess after installation I'd have to get it reprogrammed at the dealership correct?

I listen to Satellite Radio via FM modulation and it sucks (as does anything else FM modulated) and would also like to add either iPod or USB flash to play MP3s from.
I use the Jag ACM unit. I usually connect it to my iPhone. I use my iPhone apps for Pandora, XM and of course the iPod. When a call comes in, the Jag is smart enough to engage the Bluetooth in the car and mute the music app and let me use the phone. The only down side is that I use the ACM's AUX connector and use the USB from the ACM to charge my phone instead of using the iPod connector.

I have the ACM + a line out + mini USB charging adapter from a company called Sendstation.

Point being that the ACM is very versatile because it has thus iPod/ iphone connector + AUX connector + USB connector that you can basically use as an extra power socket! Plus it's nicely hidden in the arm rest

Unfortunately it's a little expensive....

Old 02-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by aluni2230
I use the Jag ACM unit. I usually connect it to my iPhone. I use my iPhone apps for Pandora, XM and of course the iPod. When a call comes in, the Jag is smart enough to engage the Bluetooth in the car and mute the music app and let me use the phone. The only down side is that I use the ACM's AUX connector and use the USB from the ACM to charge my phone instead of using the iPod connector.

I have the ACM + a line out + mini USB charging adapter from a company called Sendstation.

Point being that the ACM is very versatile because it has thus iPod/ iphone connector + AUX connector + USB connector that you can basically use as an extra power socket! Plus it's nicely hidden in the arm rest

Unfortunately it's a little expensive....
I wish I had bluetooth in the car

Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, blue tooth would be great. I have the a motorola phone with the blue tooth, and that works out pretty well, but a internal blue tooth system would work a lot better.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 PM

Gonna goto local Jag dealer when I wake up tomorrow, as well as to a car audio place... see which is cheaper and easier.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:39 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Early on in this thread, someone posted a link to a page that I wrote about installing the ACM in my car:

http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-bluetooth/acm.html

There were two other pages that I put together that relate to this thread:

http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-b...ackground.html

http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-b...bluetooth.html

The first is an overview of the aux input options available, and it touches on the fiber-optic ring that our cars use for communication between audio components. To the best of my knowledge, this interface is not shared by any Ford products.

The other described the *dirt cheap* Bluetooth adapter that I added. Of course, that presumes that you already have an ACM in the car, but the functionality added by both accessories was well worth the total price in my opinion.

BTW, this total solution preserves the factory CD-changer function, if you have one installed.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rothe
Early on in this thread, someone posted a link to a page that I wrote about installing the ACM in my car:

Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) Installation and Tips

There were two other pages that I put together that relate to this thread:

Adding Accessories (aux in, iPod/iPhone, Bluetooth) to the Jaguar X-Type, S-Type and 2004-2009 XJ

Adding a Motorola T605 Bluetooth Adapter

The first is an overview of the aux input options available, and it touches on the fiber-optic ring that our cars use for communication between audio components. To the best of my knowledge, this interface is not shared by any Ford products.

The other described the *dirt cheap* Bluetooth adapter that I added. Of course, that presumes that you already have an ACM in the car, but the functionality added by both accessories was well worth the total price in my opinion.

BTW, this total solution preserves the factory CD-changer function, if you have one installed.
James your instructions are very helpful. For anyone with an ACM or considering one, here are a few observations based on my usage:

1. The latest official jaguar ACM firmware update will allow you to charge and user the iphone/ipod Touch via the iPod connector in the ACM. The older ACM firmware will not charge an iphone - at least not the iphone 4.

2. Installing the jaguar firmware update is very easy and takes only a couple of minutes.

3. There are a couple of limitations with the Jaguar firmware (even the latest one) is that it limits the number of playlists to 5 +1 (All). The screen on the ipod/iphone is also locked so you HAVE to use the Jaguar Console keys to change playlists etc. The other limitation was introduced with Apple's 4.0.2 OS upgrade. With this upgrade, the ipod interface would ONLY allow you to play music via the ipod, so apps like Pandora etc would be blocked from playing through the ACM's ipod connector. An easy workaround for this is to use the AUX input in the ACM and to use the USB connector of the ACM to charge the iphone. In that case the ipod connector is by passed so you can't change tracks using your Jaguar controls. Everything must be controlled from the iphone/ipod Touch.

4. I got around these limitations by upgrading to the Mercedes firmware that James mentions in his page. This update NOW allows you to use the ipod interface to to play back any sort of media - including Pandora etc. However, it has ONE major limitation. You cannot use the Jaguar's console buttons to change playlists. You can only change the playlist from the ipod/iphone.

So, does the Mercedes update applied to the Jag ACM better or makes things worse? Well it depends. In my case, previously I could hide the ipod permanently in the console and do everything via the Jaguar controls. When I wanted to listen to pandora I would connect using the AUX input. Now, the ipod must be exposed to change playlists. I would say that on hind sight I would not have applied this update. However, if I were using only an iphone for the ACM, the update makes perfect sense!

Lastly, the phone bluetooth works perfectly. ACM mutes the audio when a call comes in ....and then starts back out.

UPDATE:

After trying out the 2.2 update (which is designed for Mercedes, but works fine with the Jaguar ACM) I reverted back to 1.09 which is Denison's last official firmware for the Jaguar.

Here is a picture of the ACM as connected in my X Type. I use the ipod for audio most of the time. When I want to use my iphone for navigation/music, I disconnect the ipod connector to the ipod and connect the AUX and USB to the iphone. I am using an adapter from Sendstation for the iphone. With this adapter you get both line out (higher quality audio + charing for the iphone).

SendStation - Products - PocketDock Line Mini Out USB

Another benefit of the ACM is that if you choose you can permanently connect the USB connector to a mi-fi device. It will keep it charged and your car will be a hot spot! Since I have the extra power socket in my glove box, I use that for my wifi hot spot, otherwise I'd use the ACM USB connector since it is powered and does not interfere with the ipod connector playback.

The wifi hotspot has allowed me to use an ipad as the video device instead of using a DVD system. You can stream Netflix movies with no problems! Even can rent movies from iTunes while on the go or watch live TV. I am planning on installing the BMW iPad holder in the back when it comes out. Given that the ipad has a 20 hour video endurance, keeping it charged is not an issue. For audio you can either use headphones or use a bluetooth adapter connected to the AUX input in the ACM.

BOTTOM LINE: I've read many people comment on the disappointment with the ACM, but from my experience it is a very nice little implementation for total AV integration in the x type. If you consider that you can use it to power a mi-fi device (while keeping the device fully hidden and charged) and can connect it to ipod/iphone/ipad or any other audio/video device using various connection options it's pretty versatile....it's more than an ipod connector for sure!

Attached Thumbnails Ipod docking station questions-acm-unit.jpg  

Last edited by aluni2230; 04-06-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACM Versions

Are there different Versions of the ACM. Or different part numbers depending on the different software upgrades to the product.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Btfpro
Are there different Versions of the ACM. Or different part numbers depending on the different software upgrades to the product.
I'd like to know this too. I'm thinking about installing the ACM into my 03 X-type to use my iphone and ipod, but the module I'm looking at comes from the UK. So would there be any compatibility issues with my US version of the car? Also I looked on the Dension site and they don't list Jaguars as a make. I want to connect my iphone and ipod to my car with -clear sound quality-. Anyone who can help please let me know. Thanks

Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

To the last three posters, your questions are mostly answered in this page:

Note especially the section on "Purchasing...."

Snowman - stick with the model number that I mention in the article, and it will be compatible with your US-spec X-Type. There is no difference in audio connectivity among the various markets.

See this other article for some more background:

Adding Accessories (aux in, iPod/iPhone, Bluetooth) to the Jaguar X-Type, S-Type and 2004-2009 XJ

Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tzhyang
You got a few options:

1) Ipod Fm transmitter, cost you around $20-$100, quality somewhat FM.
2) Change your head unit, yet you lose all the steering control unless you install the aftermarket steering control module that cost around $60-80
3) Jaguar sells ACM, which is a cable that let us hook up your ipod to the stock head unit, it's to me, the way to go but will cost $230

Tan
^^^I tried getting a aux,and this is the only way.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM

if you have a cassette deck, just buy a Ideck ( brand name IDECK) accessory. It is a connection kit that has a cassette with adaptor attached to it. You put the "cassette" into the tape slot, and it has a clip attached bracket that stick out from the cassette. It is tight enough to support the ipods... i use this with my ipod touch. It plugs into the lighter, and charges the ipod. select tape on your radio controls, and the sound is great! Much much better than any fm modulator whire where toy have to dial into a radio station to play

Quick Reply: Ipod docking station questions