X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Baaack!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts
Default It's Baaack!

'03 X-Type's getting old, and was starting to feel old. Nearing 100,000 miles. Shakes and rattles, wearing tires, odd handling issues. It was time.

The bad news? I've made several "payments" over the summer (paid cash for the car initially) totalling near $2000. Could have been much more, but I did most of the work myself. Rear control arms, rotors and ceramic pads front and rear (Highly recommended - no more black brake dust!), swaybar links front and rear, 4-wheel alignment, and a set of tires (Continental Extreme Contact DWS - also highly recommended).

The good news? My 100,000 mile Jag feels and drives like it's new all over again! You just don't realize the gradual degradation of a car's characteristics until a large number of repairs/maintenance items are completed all at once. That pride of ownership and good feeling I get from driving the car is back all over again.

The better news? I can't complain about repair costs, I consider most of the parts replaced to be consumables. I may be hexing myself, but prior to this, the only money I've spent on the car (beyond routine maint.) in 7 years and 75-80,000 miles is $15 for a PCV hose a couple years ago.

Who says Jaguars aren't reliable?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice story! And welcome baackkk, mine may need a revival in the next year in so

Old 10-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Am also enjoying my cat. I recently changed the suspension, lower control arms, rotors and pads, stabilizing bar bushings and the fan cowling. Now my cat is so smooth to drive. Am loving it! I know everything set me back some $1500 but it was worth it, besides I think those are parts that wear out and they should be replaced over time. When I got the cat from California last year it had 46784miles on the odo, now it reads 74321 on Ghana road. My friends think am rich for owning a Jag! Thanks everyone here for the support.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

That's good news , mostly people trade their cars at that mileage and treat a new to themselves . It's nice to read re juvenile project worked as supposed to be
Happy driving