X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

it's a mystery...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it's a mystery...

Okay... so I was out of town for 10 days for work. While I was gone, a friend of mine was driving my car. This friend had driven my car many times before, so I had no issues leaving my baby in her capable hands... a few days into the trip, she calls me up and tells me the car does not start... 'it just "grinds" when I turn over the key', she said. So immediately, I think starter... scheduled a tow to the shop, called the shop and asked them to look at it. Well, the mechanic was busy for the first two days, so the car sat for a few days after which... it started right back up. So they tried to replicate the problem, but they were never able to see it act up. So they hooked it up to the code reader and here is what it spit out:

P1582: Flight Recorder Data is stored
P0171: System too lean bank 1
P0172: System too lean bank 2
P0300: Random misfire detected
P0301: Cylinder 1 misfire
P0303: Cylinder 3 misfire
P0304: Cylinder 4 misfire
P0305: Cylinder 5 misfire
P0306: Cylinder 6 misfire
P0442: Evaporative emission control system control leak detected (small leak)

B1359: Ignition Run/accessory - circuit failure

P1780: [82, 81, 17, 80] Please refer to relevant technical manual

P1780: D - 4 Switch circuit malfunction

The car runs like nothing is wrong, the CEL is not lit, starts up just fine, etc.

If anyone can shed ANY light on this, we'd greatly appreciate it...

Thanks!
KandA

Old 11-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,905 Likes on 3,209 Posts

KandA, honestly, sounds like the ECU hickup'ed and decided to act funny for a moment. Personally, I would reset the ECU and see what happens from there. I don't know what else to call it. Occasionally modern day electronics will do some goofy things for no apparent reason. I know that sounds like a cop out, but how many times does your computer do something funny and simply rebooting it clears up the problem?

About the only thing that I would possibly check is the plug going to the ECU itself. It is possible that some water got into the connector and that shorted out a few pins and lead to all this havoc. You don't mention what the weather was like that day. But, for all those things to go wrong at the same time, the only commonality to them all is the ECU. I truely doubt you had 2 or more faults come in at the same time and then clear themselves too. Not saying it can't happen, but that would be a new one in my book.

If you want to dive into this one more, I will see what I can find. But, odds are, it was a fluke and won't happen again.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

...maybe the gal you left it with used bad gas, flooded it, or something simple and trivial. I agree with thermo above, hard reset and drive it. So many codes, such a random time for it to happen.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks Thermo and H2Oboy for your replies... the flooded engine thing did come to mind as well... I just wanted to post the codes on the forum and get a feel for what other people/techs/jag lovers/etc. think.

At the moment, I think Thermo has hit the nail on the head... lovely modern electronics... we all love hem when they work, we all call them by the same name when they don't ;-)

Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

KandA, and just what name were you thinking of? I have about 20 different names I use. But then, electronics is what I work around for work and there is never a shortage of oddball things happening. Gotta love when you start mixing in nuclear power to that equation. Really starts making people pucker when gauges start bouncing peg to peg. LMAO.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Default More Info

Thermo, I think I was thinking along the lines of "piece of ****" or something similar.

Anyhow... more information about the issue...
Turns out my friend was afraid to call me at first and the car did not start for about 2 days... would that rule out a computer glitch, or do we keep that in the "very possible" column? I am starting to wonder about the flooded engine thing... the car she owns is a diesel and I know she gives it gas when turning the key... not needed with my cat and she knows that... but I wonder if she might have just flooded it and it took a while for it to correct itself?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

KandA, well, I kinda doubt that she flooded the car as you have to have the ignition turn on and then pump the gas. But then, if she is used to a diesel and having to wait for the glow plugs, it is very possible. I say to relax, chalk it up to some unknown thing that your friend did and leave it at that. If it happens again, then it will be time to worry.