X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag X-Type !! Will never buy one again!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkaiser
I have had my X-Type (2002, 2.5) for almost 7 years now and so far it has never given me any problems even now with my 132k miles on it. Just like any other car as long as u keep the maintenance up to date and take car of the car it should run practically forever.

I find that very hard to believe with 132K miles, are you for real ! wow 1 in a million.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by JagXType620
Ford Taurus? Clearly... you have no clue what you're saying lol

And how did you're wife dump more money into the car than she makes when these cars ain't even worth over 10-15k anymore?

Time to find a new job....

repairs dude! and shes a teacher

car is a piggy bank with no withdraws

Old 04-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  19.3 KB

Well its all about opinions guys and you seem to be outnumbered some, but, at the end of the day.........Its Night...lol

Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I have been reading this thread with continued amusement and there is one thing I haven't read. That is, why Vince is so unhappy with his car and some of the particlars about it other than the year and engine size. Things like, mileage, history, length of ownership, maintenance, etc. More curious than anything. From reading his brief post history it looks like the issues he did post about are not uncommon things that have been discussed here and can be fixed easily enough to get the car back running well, but none of the threads had a report back on what happened with the coil, O2 sensor, transmission reverse issue. I guess what I am saying is, when things go wrong with a car it is easy to get frustrated, especially when they seem to come in bunches. That doesn't mean the car is automatically bad. Maybe in his case that particular car IS bad and he just bought it from someone that didn't take good care of it and bought it not knowing that. Maybe some additional due dillegence at the time would have helped to determine if that particular car was the one to buy. Had he bought a different X maybe his tune would be different. There are many people on here that have had good experiences with their cars (me included up to this point; 68K miles and climbing) I sort of get the impression that Vince is a relatively new owner. I have no idea. I do know that there had to be something about that car that was attractive enough at the time for him to buy it at the time. If the reviews he read about the X with his popcorn didn't scare him away I wonder why he still bought it in the first place? Like an earlier poster mentioned, sounded like the homework wasn't done ahead of time before buying the car.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:00 PM

Hi peps came across this forum in a google search .I have been reading up on the Jaguar X-type and some other cars that im looking into buying, seems the X has more then allot of issues. I compared his original argue with a toyota and my long time dream car a Jaguar X-type and a BMW 3series that im also looking into buying. I went to every forum/reviews/sale of parts and anything i could pull up doing an online search, and yes i will stay faraway from the Jaguar X-type there are more issues on this car then all others not to mention the parts are expensive. I love Jaguar but im staying away from this model. This section alone on this forum made me scared in buying one.

now looking into a XJ model anyone has one? hows the ride? i will post this question in the XJ's trends. thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

After reading all of this I think I need to chime in. After owning four Jaguars, ranging in model years from 1999-2006, the 2006 X-type 3.0L Sportwagon has been our most reliable, trouble free of all. 99 XK8= Nightmare, 01 XJR = Nightmare part 2, 2006 XKR great car but brakes and tires will make your wallet extra light and a myriad of warranty items would have put me in the poor house. The X-type's only issue was at 65K it developed a little (I mean little) coolant leak which never debilitated the car. It was traced back to a water pump which we replaced and we were back on the road for under 250 ($USD). We are only on our second set of tires and just had the brakes done for the first time, all way less expensive than the "R" which is expected. So I will second and third the thoughts that there are good and bad models within the same product line form every manufacturer. Heck we even had a 2003 LR Discovery II that had absolutely no issues at all, we traded it in for the XKR. We also purchased a new 2003 Infiniti M45, (talk about maintance costs, yikes!) eventually trading in the M45 for the X-type.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MarcB
After reading all of this I think I need to chime in. After owning four Jaguars, ranging in model years from 1999-2006, the 2006 X-type 3.0L Sportwagon has been our most reliable, trouble free of all. 99 XK8= Nightmare, 01 XJR = Nightmare part 2, 2006 XKR great car but brakes and tires will make your wallet extra light and a myriad of warranty items would have put me in the poor house. The X-type's only issue was at 65K it developed a little (I mean little) coolant leak which never debilitated the car. It was traced back to a water pump which we replaced and we were back on the road for under 250 ($USD). We are only on our second set of tires and just had the brakes done for the first time, all way less expensive than the "R" which is expected. So I will second and third the thoughts that there are good and bad models within the same product line form every manufacturer. Heck we even had a 2003 LR Discovery II that had absolutely no issues at all, we traded it in for the XKR. We also purchased a new 2003 Infiniti M45, (talk about maintance costs, yikes!) eventually trading in the M45 for the X-type.
but not to mention the 49,000 posts in this x-type section mostly all problems and cries for help.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rstallard
This is like having an argument over a piece of modern art. What's the point?
I find the vast majority of Modern Art to be AWFUL. I't rather have the rusty '73 Toyota nailed to my wall.

And then there's "New Media" art. WTF? Pompous and Awful, on video.

Maybe we can argue about this for a while?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by MeatBag
I find the vast majority of Modern Art to be AWFUL. I't rather have the rusty '73 Toyota nailed to my wall.

And then there's "New Media" art. WTF? Pompous and Awful, on video.

Maybe we can argue about this for a while?

what about the toyota pedal makes a good coat hanger? or is coat hangers on a recall list as well?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by BMWorJag
but not to mention the 49,000 posts in this x-type section mostly all problems and cries for help.

LOL! yep so true! I have a '04 and dumped more money into it then its worth on trans problems, but hey its still a nice ride. my only dislikes is the road noise due to it AWD system i think. Hey HEY Vince are U still out THERE post some pictures of that toyota!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my X. I would love for my wife to have one.

Does it need my attention every once in a while? Yes, so do my kids...but I'm keeping them.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jamey
Does it need my attention every once in a while? Yes, so do my kids...but I'm keeping them.
lol just seen a post on cnn.com where some parent posted there kids up on craigslist, so i guess you could get rid of them to. lol ! the things people do i just dont get it !

Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWorJag
On any (car brand) forum you'll find a lot more posts asking questions about repairs or modifications than those posting "nothing is wrong with my car at this minute, everything is great."

That is the nature of a forum, people come to ask and discuss when an issue comes up. Just like anything, complaints tend to happen more than compliments.

Some of us have owned these cars for many years, including me. I have thoroughly enjoyed this ownership experience, even with some major repairs. Any used car is a roll of the dice.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
On any (car brand) forum you'll find a lot more posts asking questions about repairs or modifications than those posting "nothing is wrong with my car at this minute, everything is great."

That is the nature of a forum, people come to ask and discuss when an issue comes up. Just like anything, complaints tend to happen more than compliments.

Some of us have owned these cars for many years, including me. I have thoroughly enjoyed this ownership experience, even with some major repairs. Any used car is a roll of the dice.
I think what he/she was trying to say the Xtype model has the most post's in this forum?

yes its true its a problem car ,that makes me want to drive even more!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  19.3 KB

Yes the X type, like many many cars has its faults and there are many posts documented in the X type section. The other main reason it is the buesiest section is that it is the entry level Jag and accessible by many more people.
These things have to be taken into account along with the Chris X's comments on the subject

Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimC64
Yes the X type, like many many cars has its faults and there are many posts documented in the X type section. The other main reason it is the buesiest section is that it is the entry level Jag and accessible by many more people.
These things have to be taken into account along with the Chris X's comments on the subject

well said!!!

I was not going to post no more in here but wow! over 1K views i just have too, all said must be all true.......? seems im not alone on this one!

whats really funny there is no jag tech's replying, BECAUSE THEY KNOW THIS CAR IS A PROBLEM CAR. <---- oh im sure now we will see some!

JimC64 posted "like many many cars has its faults" yes but this a JAGUAR FORUM so what other Jag has as much as problems?? none other then the FORD made Jag.X.....love the reply's its very entertaining

BTW my '73 toyota has no recalls ,does yours? and for the age it has already outlasted the X.

PS your thoughts Please im Bored

Old 04-26-2010, 08:05 PM

We have had our 2002 X Type for 5 years now. We bought it with 50K on it. We have put about 15 K on it and we are encountering problems. I'm not sure if it is the trans or the TCM module, I'm hoping the latter.

I wish she would have want a Crown Victoria or something. This car is an engineering nightmare. The windows won't unfog in heavy rain situations. High percentage of transmission failure in these cars in as little as 30k. Too many bells and whistles to screw up on this car. Too many Service bulletins.

If I had of done my homework on this car before we looked at it, we never would have bought this thing. Nice car to drive new to about 30K and trade or lease but not a car to keep for a long time and try to maintain.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

i wish i lived in a perfect world......o wait a sec thats not possible

everything has problems, nothing is perfect, and more then likely will not ever be

Old 04-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by vincek
well said!!!

I was not going to post no more in here but wow! over 1K views i just have too, all said must be all true.......? seems im not alone on this one!

whats really funny there is no jag tech's replying, BECAUSE THEY KNOW THIS CAR IS A PROBLEM CAR. <---- oh im sure now we will see some!

JimC64 posted "like many many cars has its faults" yes but this a JAGUAR FORUM so what other Jag has as much as problems?? none other then the FORD made Jag.X.....love the reply's its very entertaining

BTW my '73 toyota has no recalls ,does yours? and for the age it has already outlasted the X.

PS your thoughts Please im Bored
You know what, this guys is such a hater. You are probably so jealous of this whole forum, you probably never even owned a Jag and are just here to stir up some mess. Keep your '73 toyota. You might be the only person that wants it.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jonre
I think what he/she was trying to say the Xtype model has the most post's in this forum?

yes its true its a problem car ,that makes me want to drive even more!
Which makes sense considering the volume of X types compared to other Jaguar models, and the lower affordability factor. More owners likely = more posts. To attempt to correlate more posts with more problems is an oversimplification and an assumption, nothing more.

Jim C64 is right on the money as always.

The OP has made no efforts to factually support any of his statements and seems to just enjoy stirring the pot for the sake of entertainment.

Last edited by The Chris X; 04-27-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Jag X-Type !! Will never buy one again!