X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,884 Likes on 3,192 Posts

Cleo, the X-Type does not have a timing "belt" (read below) that you simply walk up to that is mounted on the outside of the motor. What you are seeing (the rubber belt) is the accessory drive belt. 2 different things (ie, drive belt and the timing "belt"). There are actually 2 timing pieces that drive the the overhead cams, but these are chains (like you would find on a motorcycle or bicycle). You have to pretty much pull the motor out of the car to access these. So, if you replaced something, you replaced the accessory belt, not the timing chains. There is a second rubber belt that is mounted above the tranny, but that is for powering the water pump.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Cleo, the X-Type does not have a timing "belt" (read below) that you simply walk up to that is mounted on the outside of the motor. What you are seeing (the rubber belt) is the accessory drive belt. 2 different things (ie, drive belt and the timing "belt"). There are actually 2 timing pieces that drive the the overhead cams, but these are chains (like you would find on a motorcycle or bicycle). You have to pretty much pull the motor out of the car to access these. So, if you replaced something, you replaced the accessory belt, not the timing chains. There is a second rubber belt that is mounted above the tranny, but that is for powering the water pump.
Ok I changed the water pump belt, and the accessory drive belt on the left side. I thought it was the drive belt, I had to take the tire off to get to it on the left side if your standing in front of the car. Wish me luck tommorow Im' getting codes.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Ok, I got the codes. PO171 Oxygen Sensor Bank 1, Im' working on ordering the Oxygen Sensor Front Genuine. The Mechanic also suggested I change the Temperature Sensor, I will also try that. The Car is runnig good with the new thermostat and new water pump. I drove the car all over the place today and it did not give me the transmission light or spill transmission fluid. Thanks ! I will keep you posted. Thank You Again.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

Cleo, not a problem. Honestly, it sounds like your problem was the waterpump starting to go. After time, errosion of the impeller occurs and will result in reduced system flow, leading to overheating conditions.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Cleo, not a problem. Honestly, it sounds like your problem was the waterpump starting to go. After time, errosion of the impeller occurs and will result in reduced system flow, leading to overheating conditions.
Im' going to change the Oxygen Sensor, but I always do research. I found this site and will post here for you http://www.engine-light-help.com/oxy...sor-codes.html . There is a hissing sound coming from the left side of the engine, I do have a disk with the JTIS. I printed most of it out for reference. I want to know if i can find a diagram of the vacuum lines for the X type, or find a way to find the leak. Do you recommend any books that are made specificly for Jaguars. I like knowing my car like the back of my hand. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Im'g going through the site and found this thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...highlight=type
I will try to check all these parts.
Ok
The hissing sound was coming from my top and bottom valve covers. I was able to get the top O ring and know the car is Purring. It feels like a different car. I matched it with a Mercedez O ring, and it worked. Cost $2.49
Im' not changing the Oxygen Sensor untill I fix the Three's you read on the threads when you search Vacuum Leaks.
The car runs good but I will still change the PVC Hose, mine has the original slim one.
Im' also changing the Vacuum Booster, the one I have looks damaged.

Po171 Code
Check O ring Valve Cover (Replaced)
PVC Hose
Vacuum Booster

A new article I found said to check the fuel filter, that this may also be a cause for the code.
From all the threads I read, one in particular seems it may be the case. Im' posting so it may help others, I love the Jaguar Forum and would not have been able to fix my car with out it. I wish though more people would post there fixes so that others that are new to Jaguars can not be ripped off because of ignorance. I have 2 pictures on my album with the O rings I used, Pep boys has it for
$ 1.99, and takes 3 to 5 days to get. If you can't get to the dealer, then try the Fel Pro brand. Good Luck.

Thank You Thermo Im' a Fan !

Last edited by cleotheo; 10-15-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-type 2002 2.5L is overheating

Thermo: I'm having the same over heating problem. I took out the t-stat, until I the replacement come in the mail, and that seemed to fix the problem until I can put the new one in. But now the cooling fan is not kicking on. I've tried turning on the AC to "low" for 5 mins. to see if the fan kicks on but it doesn't now. Someone mentioned about checking the fuse, but I'm not sure which one is the correct one since I see some for the fan and others for the AC. Also how can you tell if a fan module is bad?

Car over heats on highway, and idle -- but i believe due to no fan

Last edited by Moshu-Jaguar; 05-18-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:41 PM

This is hot thread! I got over heating when driving in the down town and I just would like to ask if there is any prosedure to test water pump working properly.
I also cleaned and blew radiators clean, them were so dusty...

Old 05-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Blackcat, odds are, if you are only overheating in town, you have a bad radiator fan assembly or your fan controller is shot (odds are, it is the fan controllers as this is the first to go). Check the fuses to make sure the fans are getting power, but from there, replacing the fan controller is what I would recommend next.

As for testing the water pump, there is no procedure I am aware of to do that.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Generally the water pump is either working or its not, and they are pretty good about letting you know when they are not. Only warning sign could be coolant coming from the weep hole on the water pump. Other than that pump failures tend to be catastrophic.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM

Guys, after changing sparkplugs and imt-valve o-rings (thanks for you, I noticed the hissing), no overheating has occured, not even in slow stop and go driving... Still occasionally amber engine light gets on and acceleration cuts suddenly, I'm a little confused because there is no clear solution happened to anything, I think. I just wonder if there is any change that automatic transmission is having an issue, thats because it's not changing to overdrive normally, I sometimes have to accelerate from 50km/h to 80km/h with kick down, before it changes to fifth gear( nice show by the way). Somehow I think that overheating is not bugging me any more, but I have to take codes to see if there's something still going on... There's no way to maintain this cat without your great information, I'm telling you, that this site is basically keeping cats on the road... all over the world!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Default New Question on the Overheating Jaguar

Ok, I have changed the Thermostat, Water Pump, Water Reservoir, New Hoses to try to solve this issue.

I changed the water temperature sender which is located on top by the fuel sender. I recently found out there is a water temperature sensor. It looks different it has a grey two plug connection with a thicker outlet then the sender. I have searched for days for this sensors location on the computer and the Jaguar. I need help with the location of the water temperature sensor. I am confused with why I see these two sensors called water temperature sensors. Does any one know if the Jaguar 2002 2.5 Liter has two water temperature sensors and where is the location to the second sensor that should be by the thermostat. I have looked and looked but can not locate it. Any comments I will appreciate. Thanks !

Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What do you guys think about Dynamat hoodliner?
I am thinking in getting one for my X type hood

Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Hood insulation liner, pad

Any advice about new hood insulation replacement material?

I am trying to get Dynamat hoodliner,What do you guys think about it ?

The one from my X type is really bad, I tried to buy the aircraft firewall

material insulation liner from the guy in Ebay but he is on vacation or

something I think because He has not listings either in his webside or in

Ebay. I also tried PartsTrain.com for the fiberglass one but i do not know

if it is a direct fit.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:10 PM

I did say any comment. (HA HA HA)

Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Default Different twist on this problem

My step-sons Jag has a unique problem, and a unique temporary cure. To wit, it is a 2002 X-Type, the temp gauge will spike to the red and set off warning lights and what not. This is when he is driving to school or anywhere. But then, all he has to do is pull over, shut the vehicle off for 20 or so secs, start it back up and it is like it never happened! Temp gauge goes back to normal position and all is well. and this can happen and the solution works repeatedly. I've been told it has to be an air bubble in the cooling system. The bubble pauses at the temp gauge sensor and the hot air is what trips the warnings. He has already installed a new temp sensor, this had no effect. When I have driven his vehicle to witness this, it appears to me to somehow be thorttle position sensitive. Ths faster one goes, the more apt it is to happen, take it slow and it can be totally avoided. Any ideas?? Thanks to all..

Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 AM
Default 2003 x type cooling problems

Im not sure if Im doing this right... Any way i bought 03 x type 2 months ago yesterday i drove about 40 miles when i stoped at destination i noticed there was some smoke or steam coming from hood.. The tempeture meter never went past 1/2 way... i let it sit gor a couple minutes opend hood looked for aleak and realised the big hose at the top of radior was not connected to radiator i put it on... Try refilling coolant the reservor fills up but hoses have no pressure any help or tips?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Eighteenecho
My step-sons Jag has a unique problem, and a unique temporary cure. To wit, it is a 2002 X-Type, the temp gauge will spike to the red and set off warning lights and what not. This is when he is driving to school or anywhere. But then, all he has to do is pull over, shut the vehicle off for 20 or so secs, start it back up and it is like it never happened! Temp gauge goes back to normal position and all is well. and this can happen and the solution works repeatedly. I've been told it has to be an air bubble in the cooling system. The bubble pauses at the temp gauge sensor and the hot air is what trips the warnings. He has already installed a new temp sensor, this had no effect. When I have driven his vehicle to witness this, it appears to me to somehow be thorttle position sensitive. Ths faster one goes, the more apt it is to happen, take it slow and it can be totally avoided. Any ideas?? Thanks to all..
My car had the exact same problem, exact same. I thought it was the thermostat, so I went to replace it and BAMO, it wasn't in there. That's right, no thermostat in the system! Put a new one in, bled the system and now not getting that error.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Overheating help required

Originally Posted by 909_xtype
Im not sure if Im doing this right... Any way i bought 03 x type 2 months ago yesterday i drove about 40 miles when i stoped at destination i noticed there was some smoke or steam coming from hood.. The tempeture meter never went past 1/2 way... i let it sit gor a couple minutes opend hood looked for aleak and realised the big hose at the top of radior was not connected to radiator i put it on... Try refilling coolant the reservor fills up but hoses have no pressure any help or tips?
Hi 909_xtype,

You'll need to go here : New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

To introduce yourself? Good Luck !!! Stu

Old 04-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

For $25 you can buy and obdii reader on ebay instead of paying your friend to read it for you.