X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Virgin.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jaguar Virgin.

Just bought an 04 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 AWD. it's due for an oil change. do you guys reco that i take it to my local jag dealership and have them change it or will the nearest kwik kar / wal mart be good enough to change the oil?

gary

Old 12-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,884 Likes on 3,192 Posts

frontrunnining, there is a simple rule that you can follow: "you get what you pay for". This is especially true when it comes to Jaguar parts and work. Now, am I saying that the dealership oil change is goingto be worth what they are asking for? That truely depends on the dealership. Some give a decent deal, some don't. Some try to charge a premium for a very simple task. That is where asking around and seeing what different places charge is going to be vital. If you do use a "kwiky" oil change place, ask them specifically what part number oil filter they are going to put into your vehicle. It should be a PH-3600 (or the TG-3600) by Fram, the PL20195 by Purolator, the FL-400S by Motorcraft (what most will recommend and is the "Jaguar" brand filter, just with a different label on it), or another brand name filter. This is the issue. THese filters have a special anti-drain valve in them. NOt all filters that will fit on the car do. You don't have this valve, your car is going to sound like hell for the first 5 seconds it is running as oil finally makes it up to your valves. HOw does running parts of your engine without oil sound to you? Me, not too good.

As for oil, this is an argument that we still have not been able to answer here. The best advice that I can tell you is to use the oil that makes you feel like you are getting what you want. Whether it is a fully synthetic, a blend, or standard dyno oil, that is your choice. The big thing is to make sure that you use the correct viscosity oil, aka, 5W-20 for your year car. If you want to learn more about oil, I recommend some reading on a site called - Bob is the Oil Guy. That should give you more information than you ever thought was available on oil and filters. he seems to be pretty impartial and calls things as they are. He also has the data sheets to back up what he is saying.

Not trying to be wishy washy on this subject, but I can take a national chain quick change place and while they should all do the same job, they don't. Asking a few questions normally will give you enough information about the shop that you will have a good feeling or not. I tend to do my own oil changes because if my car dies, I want it to be because it was something I did. Not because of someone else. But, that is my line of thinking. NOt everyone has the abilities that I do.

The following users liked this post:
frontrunning (12-02-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Gary, while it may be okay for some Wal-Mart tech to change the oil on my old Durango, they aren't getting under Kitty without showing me their Jaguar certification. That being said, I have found an indy garage that I know and trust (no dealership near me anyways) that can supply the proper filter is a great in-between choice. The extra dollars I pay is worth my peace of mind. But, that's just me.

Last edited by mohrd; 12-01-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: homonyms
frontrunning (12-02-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Gary
Take it out to Motorcarman
You're gonna want to get to know him anyway with a 7 yr old Jag

frontrunning (12-07-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Oil Change

Originally Posted by frontrunnining
Just bought an 04 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 AWD. it's due for an oil change. do you guys reco that i take it to my local jag dealership and have them change it or will the nearest kwik kar / wal mart be good enough to change the oil?

gary
My Jag dealer charges $60 and change for a oil change, that is Dino oil, not syn. also they do an inspection of the car, that is how I found out I had bad bushing in the swaybars front and rear, however they wanted $800 to fix this. I took it to my local mechanic whom I have know since he was a kid, he works for a ford dealer during the day and out of his garage in the afternoon and night. He charged me $200 to do the bushings, which included the price of the parts also. Jag is known for silly high prices for repairs. Also once they find something they keep on mailing you notices reminded you to get it fix I finally told them not to bother me any more and I had it fixed for a lot less then they quoted. They asked me how much, I told them and they said I was lying, the B--t--d-. So if you have a mechanic you know and trust take it to him, and oil change is not rocket science, and if they will allow you to bring your own oil and filter then you will know what is in there. This last oil change I went to syn, even thou Jaguar does and does not recommend it, according who you talk to at Jaguar. But so far the car has performed well. It is a 03 2.5L
As far as oil goes if your using dino Castrol GTX is what I use and if syn Mobile One, both at 5/30w

Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do mine myself, with a Jag filter and full synthtic. I must admit I would NOT use any quick lube joints. Don't trust them.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Default Motorcarman.

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Gary
Take it out to Motorcarman
You're gonna want to get to know him anyway with a 7 yr old Jag

Who is Motorcarman. I see you posted from Decatur, I'm not far from you off 35 & N. Tarrant. Would really like to find a trustworthy mechanic other verses paying the over-inflated Jag Dealer prices basic maintenance.

Thanks,

Gary

Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,884 Likes on 3,192 Posts

frontrunning, MOtorcarman is a member here that helps out in some of the other forums. He has his own shop in your area. If you need some assistance, I am sure he will be able to give you the short of the story and get you back on the road at a reasonable price. Just make sure you mention that you are on the site and I'm sure that will get things rolling for you two.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Brucelee,

Where do you get the Jag oil filter? I don't mind changing the oil myself and would prefer to do so if I can save 30% - 50% on the cost. I just wasn't for sure if that would affect the Carfax Report if for some reason I ever decided to sell or trade-in.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Brucelee, I change the oil and filter myself. I keep the receipt for the purchase of the oil and filter with the mileage and date of installation in the owners manual. Jack

Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Changing it youself is simple, cost effective and gives you a chance to look things over and get friendly with your car. You should be able to get a Motorcraft filter easily. Fram is junk and I wouldn't touch one with a stick. I use a 5+ jug plus 1 quart of 5W 30 good quality dino and it's perfect. If you have an Autozone nearby they regularly have deals on the jug and filter but I always substitute the Motorcraft filter for the Fram. HTH

Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by frontrunnining
Who is Motorcarman. I see you posted from Decatur, I'm not far from you off 35 & N. Tarrant. Would really like to find a trustworthy mechanic other verses paying the over-inflated Jag Dealer prices basic maintenance.
Thanks,
Gary
Gary,
Check your PM's,
Zane

Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Awesome, thanks stickman. i have an o'reilly's and autozone close by. i just wasn't for sure if i needed a special jag oil filter only distributed by a jag dealership's parts department.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a nice pump that Griot's Garage sells to pump out the oil from the dip stick tube. I used it on my Benz as this is an approved method of changing oil in Mercedes cars. As most of you know I am handicapped and lying down on the ground is not an option. The pump works very well, even though I have not used it on the Jaguar. It holds 6 quarts plus and is called in their catalog and fluid extractor. About $80.00 delivered. It also gets out about 99% of the old oil, as least from the Benz it did. I have the manually operated one which U pump to get pressure then open a clip and it sucks the oil out, for a $120 you can get an electric pump type. But the manual is so easy to pump and one only needs to pump it 4/5 times and perhaps twice during the process the extra $$ was not worth it to me. Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

frontrunning (12-12-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Stickman,

Picked up a K&N oil filter and a 5+ jug of Castrol 5w-30 synthetic oil, missed where u mentioned to get an extra quart. in reading my owners manual, i found that it takes 6 quarts of oil. Question - the 5+ jug = 5.28 quarts, in adding the extra quart do you pour all of oil in or do you try to ONLY put in the reco'd 6 quarts or pour in all of the oil from the 5+ jug and the quart bottle?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Oil Change

The best procedure is to:
Add 5.5 quarts
Start engine (to fill oil filter)
Turn-off engine
Wait a few minites (have a beer)
Check oil level
Fill to recommended level
DO NOT OVERFILL

Have another beer it's Friday.

frontrunning (12-12-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by reyesl
Have another beer it's Friday.
Amen.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Oil Change = Succesful. Thanks for all the input / advice fellas, i really appreciate it. autozone had a great price deal on a 5+ jug of castrol synthetic & k & n filter for $25.99 after a $7 mail n rebate. went back friday night to pick up a single quart of the castrol synthetic, it range up over $10 for the one quart. about crapped on myself, so i just bought another 5+ jug and filter combo and will save for later.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM

What is everyones thots on putting a K & N Airl Filter on my 03 Jag X type, 3.0, AWD. Can it be done? Do you recommend?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:47 PM

stickman - do u do an oil change every 3k miles for your jag?

Quick Reply: Jaguar Virgin.