X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar won’t start just get one click and u can feel the starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar won’t start just get one click and u can feel the starter

I have 2004 X type 3.0 that won’t start or turn the engine over you can tell it’s putting a load on the motor but it won’t budge. I’ve changed battery’s checked grounds I’ve changed battery’s I’ve changed starters I’ve changed the nuetral safety switch or what Evers underneath the battery! It’s almost like something has a lock on the motor I’ve tried putting it in nuetral park I’ve tested voltage at battery at started even under the load only thing I haven’t tried is putting a breaker bark on engine just figured if there a security lock it would pry still have it locked and wouldn’t move! The brakes seem very like they are pumped up to the mmmm and the back wheel I locked up! Didn’t have any signs that the engine was locked up but i do have issues with transmission shift colum cause it felt like I could never get the car totally in drive unless you Really pushed back on shifter I have put my code reader and got p1799 b1638 b1639 might have the p and b mixed around. And when I changed the starter you coul see some damage in flywheel from starter im really at A loss

Old 01-22-2023, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,945 Likes on 770 Posts

If the starter is engaging but not rotating the engine it is either being deprived of torque, or you have an engine lock up.

Being optomistic....let's start off by assuming the motor is not seized but simply the starter (which you have changed) is not able to develop enough torque.
Our X-Types are known for battery cables which develop corrosion under the insulated wiring making it not obvious to visual inspection.
So before you dive deep into other things....check or change your battery cables. There is plenty of discussion on this issue on the forum.

If you have conclusively ruled out starter torque, then you have little choice but to investigate a tight engine.
Your probably then going to either trying to turn the motor over via the pulley or through the starter hole and levering the ring gear.
You might decide to remove the intake manifold and pull the plugs to see if the engine will turn over freely to rule out seizure or a cylinder that has filled with fuel and trying to hydraulic the engine.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

forchristsjakes, like h2o2 said, your problem is most likely a battery cable. A check that you can do is to simply hold the start switch in the START position for say 10 seconds. You can then go out and cup your hand OVER the battery terminals. If you feel that one terminal is above ambient, then there is your problem. If you want something quantifiable, then you will need a second person. But, what you are going to do is connect a multimeter across the battery terminals such that the leads of the multimeter are only touching the lead of the battery post (NOT touching the metal holder that goes to the cable). You should see 12.6 VDC at this point. If you are not, put the battery on a charger and get it up to 12.6 VDC. WIth the battery at 12.6 VDC, attempt to start the car. What was the voltage on the multimeter? If it was down near 11.0 VDC, then your battery cables are most likely good and the car should have been rolling over. If the voltage was up at 12.6 VDC, then you are not getting a signal to engage the starter. If you are seeing a voltage say around 12.0 VDC, then odds are your battery cables are causing a high resistance connection and you need to replace them. IF you are seeing something under 10.5 VDC, your battery is bad and you simply have enough juice to engage the starter, but not enough to roll the engine.

If you are getting the 11.0 VDC reading, then this is when I would be looking at a siezed motor. Follow what h2o2 said and we can help from there.

If you need more info or are not familiar with using a multimeter, then I can give you a way to do the checks using other parts of the car.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,945 Likes on 770 Posts

One other thought that popped into my head....I recall another member that had a seized power steering pump that locked up his engine by creating excessive drag on the accessory belt.
Might not be a bad thing to also check that you don't have a similar issue.

Old 01-28-2023, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I’ll look into those and let you know what I find out appreciate your time and advice! Im just curious as to why the old starter would damage the flywheel? I understand that if it wasn’t fully engaging but both of them are doing the same thing! And the brakes feeling like they a stiff like they are pumped with no release? Thanks again I’ll reply with what I find out!

Old 01-28-2023, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

Well without engine running the power assist brakes are not there, like in the olden days before power brakes.