Sponsored by:

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d 2004 Saloon Car - Engine Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 08:08 AM
m2k
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X-Type 2.0d 2004 Saloon Car - Engine Cutting Out

Hi All,

I am looking for some help and advice please.

My car has been progressively getting worse for a few years now, where it simply cuts out when driving, specifically if I try to accelerate quickly, but it can happen in any gear at any time.

After living with this due to financial issues, I finally had enough and purchased some reconditioned Delphi injectors from an established and trust worthy company. They were installed yesterday with new injector pipes, and the car started and sounded much better in general.

The trouble came when the garage tried to enter the new c2i injector codes, using an Autel MaxiSys computer. It appeared to all intents and purposes, that the computer had updated the codes, no error messages, however when the injector codes were checked to see they had been updated, the old codes were still showing.

The above process was attempted several times and with no less than 4 different systems, none of which were able to update the ECU module.

What is the problem, any help would be very much appreciated?

Also, as the engine starts fine and the car can be driven, I have gave it a test drive and the original problem is still there, although I know the codes need to be set before I can fully rule out the injectors as the sole cause of the engine cut outs.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Old 12-20-2021, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts

I'd suggest asking in the UK section for guidance. Some really old posts say they have help of independent agents throughout GB that can code diesels.
As I understand it, you need Jag programming software and a mongoose cable. Here's a long but comprehensive thread on installing the software =

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/.../#post-1101712

Discussion thread on using/coding the injectors (additionally apparently Auto Com and delphi will both code injectors) =

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...jectors.86618/

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 12-20-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Even with old injector calibration codes, the engine should not cut out under acceleration.
What tests were done previously to determine the injectors were faulty ?

Paul.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:24 AM
m2k
Default Jaguar X-Type 2.0d 2004 Saloon Car - Engine Cutting Out

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply and please accept my apologies for not responding sooner.

A leak off test was performed on the injectors which showed they were in need of replacement, the engine was also struggling to start whilst they were still in, as soon as they were replaced, it was clearly visible that they were at the end of their life, and as soon as the new injectors were installed, even without the correct codes, the engine started quickly and ran much smoother at a consistent rev count.

I have been driving the car since this time, just on local journeys around town as required, and the problem of cutting out if accelerating remains, though it only seems to ever happen in 3rd gear or above, and only if you try to accelerate too quickly, although even taking it as steady as possible, in 3rd and above it will always stall sooner rather than later.

I have also now noticed that the car is taking longer to start, when turning the ignition, it can take several seconds to fire up now, though it was starting almost immediately after the initial injectors were replaced.

This whole problem is causing great frustration and problems for myself, so any suggestions of where to go from here would be greatly appreciated, as I can't simply afford to keep changing parts until I get lucky.

Many thanks for all help offered so far.

Kind Regards,

Wayne.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:39 AM
m2k

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply, please accept my apologies for responding late.

A leak off test showed they needed replacing, the injectors were visibly worn after removal, and the new injectors worked well even without correct codes. The engine started quickly and without stutter, and idled at a consistent rev count, rather than jumping up and down as it used to.

The problem still remains, if i try to accelerate even slowly in 3rd gear or above, it cuts out immediately. I have now noticed the car is taking longer to start now as well, can take 3-5 seconds before firing, before it would start almost immediately.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated, this is very frustrating and causing many problems in getting around.

Kind Regards,

Wayne.