X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X type Custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X type Custom exhaust

Does anyone know about good exhaust systems for a Jaguar x type that will not mess with the computer and make lights pop up on the dash like a Christmas tree, I want a very great sounding x type without the computer throwing codes or turning my engine light on, thanx for ur time

Old 09-09-2019, 05:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

XpType Owner, I have installed 2 of the Mina exhaust systems. This is really only a new muffler setup as you are not replacing any of the piping between the motor and the rear axle. The new mufflers will give the car a slightly deeper exhaust note without getting too loud under full throttle. Worst case, put on these on and then go to a muffler shop and have them delete the resonator. Between the two, you should get a nice exhaust note and see a little improvement in performance without lighting up the world. The big problem is the exhaust system for the X-Type is already pretty open. So, you don't want to open it up much more or else you are going to have lots of issues.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 AM
Received 296 Likes on 164 Posts

I was involved in the development of the powertrain and the X type exhaust.

Despite claims that the 'exhaust is already pretty open'- its actually not.

It has a very high back pressure.

Examples- 3 litre AJV6 in S type is about 240-280 mbars EBP, while in the X type it is 500-700 mbars depending on which bank.

The other faux pas that loses low speed torque is that the system goes into a single pipe on the 4WD models very quickly and this loses low speed torque by quite a margin. Why was it made into a single? Because Ford SDS guidelines (which are common with F250s, off road vehicles, and on road) specify- no DICTATE a whirl envelope for the prop shaft.

The first thing to do is separate the exhaust pipe to the rear tank- much like what was done on the front drive 2.1 litres. We did SVO versions like this with 4WD so it can be accommodated.

The reason the X type doesn't have a lot of silencer volume is because the back pressure is so high (its not high for a Ford but for a high performance car it is)- the back pressure is already doing a lot of the silencing.

You don't want to go too big a diameter nearer the engine (under the seats) as you'll lose low speed torque from adverse tuning, but nearer the back I'd go bigger in diameter and correspondingly bigger in the silencing.

I toyed around with the idea of using silencers from a high performance transverse engined 4WD saloon, like an Alfa Romeo 159- may be an after market supersprint and have a system made up, but I have too many other projects right now. THAT would sound nice. 300-400 mbar backpressure would be a good target- that would put it in line with the contemporary XJ8s.

You want to make sure you retain the resonator under the cars, may be incorporate two of them instead. The Exhaust valve opening point of the exhaust cam period along with the exhaust are key to defining the exhaust note (along with the firing order). The EVO is in a similar ball park to the Alfa 159 and the firing order is the same- so it shouldn't be too difficult to make it sound the same!

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (10-18-2020)
Old 09-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
I was involved in the development of the powertrain and the X type exhaust.

Despite claims that the 'exhaust is already pretty open'- its actually not.

It has a very high back pressure.

Examples- 3 litre AJV6 in S type is about 240-280 mbars EBP, while in the X type it is 500-700 mbars depending on which bank.

The other faux pas that loses low speed torque is that the system goes into a single pipe on the 4WD models very quickly and this loses low speed torque by quite a margin. Why was it made into a single? Because Ford SDS guidelines (which are common with F250s, off road vehicles, and on road) specify- no DICTATE a whirl envelope for the prop shaft.

The first thing to do is separate the exhaust pipe to the rear tank- much like what was done on the front drive 2.1 litres. We did SVO versions like this with 4WD so it can be accommodated.

The reason the X type doesn't have a lot of silencer volume is because the back pressure is so high (its not high for a Ford but for a high performance car it is)- the back pressure is already doing a lot of the silencing.

You don't want to go too big a diameter nearer the engine (under the seats) as you'll lose low speed torque from adverse tuning, but nearer the back I'd go bigger in diameter and correspondingly bigger in the silencing.

I toyed around with the idea of using silencers from a high performance transverse engined 4WD saloon, like an Alfa Romeo 159- may be an after market supersprint and have a system made up, but I have too many other projects right now. THAT would sound nice. 300-400 mbar backpressure would be a good target- that would put it in line with the contemporary XJ8s.

You want to make sure you retain the resonator under the cars, may be incorporate two of them instead. The Exhaust valve opening point of the exhaust cam period along with the exhaust are key to defining the exhaust note (along with the firing order). The EVO is in a similar ball park to the Alfa 159 and the firing order is the same- so it shouldn't be too difficult to make it sound the same!
Not to hijack the thred, but I LOVE the Alfa 159 looks. A couple years ago I looked into if there was any way to get one imported and that wasn't an option, but, boy, is that a beautiful car.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Another option to the Mina Gallery mufflers is Borla. They seem about the same. I had put those on my X and really liked the sound. Lower rumble at idle and a bit louder on the road, but nothing too loud or obnoxious. Just enough to make it sound a little more sporty. Didn't do anything to increase the performance as far as I could tell. They pretty much bolts right on too.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Not to hijack the thred, but I LOVE the Alfa 159 looks. A couple years ago I looked into if there was any way to get one imported and that wasn't an option, but, boy, is that a beautiful car.
I like the way the 159 looks also, although I prefer the 156 looks.

Alfa were in the same boat as Jaguar, their parent companies dictated they use a common platform with more pedestrian machinery.
They both did the best they could. I think the X type ended up pretty good in general. People criticize them, but when pushed to give a specific reason, they usually falter.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, the X-Type was much maligned when it first came out and the stigma stuck through its production life. That turned out to be a great thing for anyone buying one used. One of the most reliable cars I ever owned.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Yes, the X-Type was much maligned when it first came out and the stigma stuck through its production life. That turned out to be a great thing for anyone buying one used. One of the most reliable cars I ever owned.
Im increasingly finding out in the USA- that cars that folks rant about aren't often that bad and are usually down to lack of maintenance and or stupidity/abuse (overheating and expecting the engine to be robust to that) and cars that are blindly followed are elevated and raved about- like my Cadillac Escalade (one of the worst cars I've EVER owned) will always be revered despite their often terrible credentials and issues.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Count Iblis,
Did you ever get involved with the Diesel models of the x-type ?
I would be very interested in your insight regarding if any improvements could be made.

Paul.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Man on the hill
Count Iblis,
Did you ever get involved with the Diesel models of the x-type ?
I would be very interested in your insight regarding if any improvements could be made.

Paul.
I was never involved in the diesels. They were basically Ford engines integrated into the X404 Chassis. They tried to fit the Lion 2.7 V6 but couldn't accommodate the after treatment. Shame-that would have been sweet!