X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar x-type engine change

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar x-type engine change

I am a new member in this forum. I don't know if you can help with this one. My jaguar x-type engine is losing compression and cant move uphill even on a flat slope. My mechanic is suggesting opening the engine and is suspecting piston issues etc. The entire job seems so costly and I am not a fan of opening engines as the performance of the engine may not be the same or worse. I intend to replace my engine instead as it seems cheaper and more safer. my problem here is that my Jaguar X-type is a 2.1L 2WD and I'm only finding either 2.5L engines or 3.0L engines. Will there be a problem if i replace my engine with a 2.5L or 3.0L engine since they look similar is size but differ as the these other 2 are AWDs? what else would i need to change if i am replacing with either a 2.5L or 3.0L engine?

Old 03-23-2023, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi Martin,

This might be a far more complex task than you think.
I have a 2.1 and the engines supporting hardware are quire different from the 2,5 and 3.0. I have not heard of anyone doing this swap before.

I can't tell you if the 2.5/3.0 will physically offer up to the 2.1 transmission (if they are the same dimensionally) but the transmissions being different (AWD) for 2.5 and 3.0, the 2.1 trans might not appreciate the additional power being fed through and whether the half shafts will appreciate the extra power might be tougher on them too.
The roll restrictor (dog bone) is firmer for 2.5/3.0 (yellow coloured) versus 2.1 (purple) and the 2.1 has additional anti-twist bracket not present on 2.5/3.0.
The intake manifolds are different, so too the throttle ..... cable and simple TPS for 2.1 but drive by wire for both 2.5 and 3.0.
Therefore the ECMs are totally different. I would assume you would have to stay with 2.1 throttle assembly and ECM, but I don't know if you can transfer manifold (upper and lower) over or just offer the 2.1 throttle body up to 2.5/3.0 intake manifold (doubt they are interchangeable).
The engine wiring harness will be different with fuel rail pressure sensor and twin IMT valves not necessarily present on 2.1.
Different fuel supply, unmanaged tank fuel pump in 2.1 versus fuel rail pressure monitored and regulated by fuel pump control module. (this may not be an issue if you stay with 2.1 setup as long as 2.1 pump can keep up with volume).
Cooling system is the same for both engines, only the heater inlet hose might be different.
Fly wheels appear the same.
Exhaust systems are different too, larger CATS, twin rear mufflers, front silencer different, you can probably connect the 2.1 exhausts but expect some constriction and that might create some possible O2 sensor tracking issues upsetting ECM fuel mapping at higher RPMs. If you had the 2.5/3.0 exhaust you could probably fit that to ease exhaust flow.
There are likely other issues that I haven't even thought of, but it may be possible with mixing and matching parts, but by no means will it be a simple swap over and expect some challenges and turnbacks along the way.