X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X-type harsh sound when going over big bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Jaguar X-type harsh sound when going over big bumps?

Hey Everyone,
I have been driving down backroads and have been hitting alot of potholes and its seems like when ever i go over pot holes there is a violent shutter sound like the dash is hitting the windshield or somthing and i had the suspension checked and they said everything is fine. I dont know what is happening but it is really obnoxious so any help would be good? I was thinking maybe since i live in chicago and we go through so many freeze and thaw cycles the glue on the dashboard could be coming up? But its only a 07, so im not really sure?
Thanks for any help!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,929 Likes on 3,225 Posts

MIke, I would check out the bushing on the struts for the front end. If one of the bushings has gone, it will allow the strut to move around and make a good banging sound with each bump. Since the towers are right near the windshield, i can see where you may think that the noise is there in the windshield area. After that, make sure that the bump stops are still where they need to be and that all the suspension parts are installed nice and tight.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
MIke, I would check out the bushing on the struts for the front end. If one of the bushings has gone, it will allow the strut to move around and make a good banging sound with each bump. Since the towers are right near the windshield, i can see where you may think that the noise is there in the windshield area. After that, make sure that the bump stops are still where they need to be and that all the suspension parts are installed nice and tight.
Thanks for the help, ill tell them to check it out when I bring it in...and ill tell you what they say and thanks again!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

On pot-holey roads they ride like a metal shopping cart full of bricks, but on smooth roads they handle like a dream and corner like they have claws. You just have to avoid the potholes.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Hey, would you happen to know if it is bad to drive around with the bushings gone, would it hurt anything?
Thanks for any info?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,929 Likes on 3,225 Posts

XKR, short term, not that bad. But, over time you can end up in a major failure. IT really depends on how bad the current condition is. A quick visual check of the top of the towers should give you an idea of how good/bad things are at the moment. May want to even try getting the front end in the air a little bit to help with the diagnosis.