X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X Type Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not a big x fan but your cat look nice I'm planning on getting my wife and I some for new projects I'm getting into the x's a lil bit good job

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag Breeder
Not a big x fan but your cat look nice I'm planning on getting my wife and I some for new projects I'm getting into the x's a lil bit good job
Thanks Jag Breeder! I like the results of lowering. In addition I've done some other performance mods that have netted more power and acceleration. I waxed her today, and right now, that thing is rolling sweet.

I think the X-type is a fine project car, esp. with the info. on this site to help you thru it. Say you and your wife pick one up on the cheap, you could pull together a nice Jag.

That's pretty cool to have a wife that's into it with you, lol!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea! I have plans for the x I own a s-class now I love that cat she's my first s type I'm starting the collection I had two xj8 before I sold them both the first one was because of a good offer the second one was because I wasn't driving it as much as the s but ill be hunting for another wild one again I see that you're in the az area me and my wife wil be moving that way in a few

Old 05-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Well, would love to meet up if you get out to AZ. Phoenix area or Tucson. I've still never met another Jag owner in person! lol!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks so much better than stock, looks great!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_G
Do u not think tho tha the kw coilovers will give a far better turn in? From previous experience on ter cars u just cantbeat the coilovers as u can set them up for a relly great drive tho can be slightly frmer. U can soten the dampening too.

I c from ur avatar u changed the front and rear way bars? Did it make much difference? What sort of cts and we u get them from?

thanks

Richard

The sway bars made an unbelievable difference, the car is so much more fun to drive with wider tires and bigger sway bars. A LOT of fun. You can pm me for more information.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Quick Question to the guys that have a "sport" model.
Is it true that the lowering springs are the same ride height as stock for the sport model?
I saw a post Thermo wrote saying they are.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by fabfive
Is it true that the lowering springs are the same ride height as stock for the sport model?
Not true. I had H&Rs in mine and it lowered it an inch or so.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by fabfive
H&R springs dropped my X-type about one inch or more all around.
Name:  P1040201-2.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  35.2 KB
Lowered

Last edited by Patterson; 08-30-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sway Bar....

Originally Posted by chknhwk
The sway bars made an unbelievable difference, the car is so much more fun to drive with wider tires and bigger sway bars. A LOT of fun. You can pm me for more information.
Just curious what the sway bar does for you? I know what a sway bar is and its purpose, but my X-Type's stock suspension is pretty tight. I don't notice much of the "boat" feeling as I'm taking exit ramps at 70.

Just curious.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is a great page on sway bar tech: Mustang Anti-sway Bars

I always liked how the car rides and didn't want to change the damping of the setup but I wasn't happy with how much the car leaned in the turns so I turned to sway bars to improve the handling vs. lowering springs and struts. The car is soooo much more stable through the turns now. Although the sway bar install needs to be revisited for various reasons...
Next on the list is some sort of suspension overhaul, not sure which route I'm going though. I'm probably going to go the budget route and do the sport suspension upgrade on The Bitch (that's my car's nickname).
Does anybody know if the Arden setup is appreciably different from the factory sport suspension?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Richard_G
Do u not think tho tha the kw coilovers will give a far better turn in? From previous experience on ter cars u just cantbeat the coilovers as u can set them up for a relly great drive tho can be slightly frmer. U can soten the dampening too.

I c from ur avatar u changed the front and rear way bars? Did it make much difference? What sort of cts and we u get them from?

thanks

Richard
This is an old post, and in browsing it, I had to wonder, wtf it is that you wrote..?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

How'd you upgrade the sway bars, or I mean, what parts did you use? Does someone make aftermarket sway bars for the x-type or did you custom fabricate one or what? Or maybe they are interchangeable with the Mondeo or something.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow so you need to remove the tie rod ends to get to the struts? Calipers as well? I watched a youtube video on changing the stuts for the xjr (I think) and they didn't have to remove the calipers, or the tie rod ends if I recall. I am getting new tie rod ends but they just shipped them out and won't be here til next week. Was wanting to get started on the springs this weekend though. I'm not sure either if I should do the tie rod ends when I change the springs and struts, or do the springs first, see how that goes, then change the tie rod ends and give me time to recuperate. I also got new front struts, but now I am hearing squeaks from all my shocks as I pay attention to it more now. Not sure what to do. Want new rear shocks but then again maybe I am just trying to do too much. If I hadn't been installing lowering springs I probably would have driven around on my old struts another 20,000 miles (or until my passenger side wobbly wheel got worse to the point where it felt unsafe)... Hence new tie rod ends... Not sure what I should do. Once I get the front struts and springs and tie rods installed, I can change the rear shocks later any day. A new alignment may be needed then again though.

Originally Posted by Patterson
A few weeks back I contacted JaggyX about a set of H&R springs he had for sale. Jaggy basically gave them to me, $100, and today my buddy David removed the stock springs on my X-Type and replaced them with the H&R’s. My friend David is a mechanic; Me? I just handed off tools, and moved the floor jack around. It's the best I could do without getting in the way.

The front end was quite a job - to say the least. We had to pull the wheels, brake calipers, tie rods, and drop the A-arms on both sides, just to get to the spring/strut assemblies and remove each one. The front springs took about 2 hours to remove and replace. Luckily D boy has air tools, this made dis-assembly & assembly go quick compared to trying to turn every nut & bolt by hand with ratchets. Plus, his air ratchet has a torque setting for re-assembly! At this point it’s just about knowing how to take it all apart, and, get it back together exactly how it was in the first place. Lol!

Rear End: It was much easier to R&R the rear springs. For one, we didn’t have to pull the wheels off. We simply jacked the rear end up pretty high, and removed the large (alignment) bolts holding the lower control arms to the frame, and then dropped the arms to free the spring/shock bundles. The 2 rear springs took about an hour.

The ride quality is the same... taking it easy over speed bumps...

[Total front & rear springs replaced in 3.0 hours]

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar X Type Suspension question-2011-05-14112852.jpg   Jaguar X Type Suspension question-2011-05-14112906.jpg   Jaguar X Type Suspension question-p1040205.jpg   Jaguar X Type Suspension question-p1040201.jpg   Jaguar X Type Suspension question-2011-05-15165754looksgood.jpg  

Jaguar X Type Suspension question-p1040203.jpg   Jaguar X Type Suspension question-p1040202.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Patterson (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 01:03 AM

"Wow so you need to remove the tie rod ends to get to the struts? Calipers as well? I watched a youtube video on changing the stuts for the xjr (I think) and they didn't have to remove the calipers, or the tie rod ends if I recall."

Basically, I removed the strut assemblies, changed the springs to HRs, and put them back from whence they came..Then I replaced the rear springs with HRs.

I'd say it's somewhat of a fine art to get the struts assemblies re installed correctly. Elbow grease is one thing, but knowledge of the suspension lay-out is key. Enjoy the pics.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar X Type Suspension question-2011-05-14112906.jpg   Jaguar X Type Suspension question-davidinstallingcoilspringsonthejag.jpg   Jaguar X Type Suspension question-davidinstallingcoilspringsonthejagii.jpg   Jaguar X Type Suspension question-p1040203.jpg   Jaguar X Type Suspension question-davidinstallingcoilspringsonthejagi.jpg  

Jaguar X Type Suspension question-p1040201.jpg  

Last edited by Patterson; 03-14-2014 at 01:21 AM.