X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JIM COLEMAN LAWSUIT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JIM COLEMAN LAWSUIT

I purchased my 2004 X-type from a Jim Coleman Land Rover Jaguar dealership. They were asking 24,999 for it with bout 30k miles on it (with a 10 year 100K mile warranty). I was able to talk them down to 19,950 before taxes.
About 8 months later (and 30,000 miles)my Transmission jammed into 3rd gear spontaniously whileI was on I-70s going about 70-75mph`s. This was a jolt that felt like someone rammed into the back of my car making my head tap the steering wheel (while wearing a seatbelt).
I took my car to the service shop angerly, and they "fixed it" 2 days later by replacing the computer.
They tried to give me my car back and I told them replacingthe computer was not sufficent since the transmission clearly has some damage inside it. They responded by telling me "we cannot predict the future andwe have done the bestwe could to repair it".

I took the car back, drove it for a few hundred miles, just forthe transmissionto jam into 3rd again while on the highway about3 weeks later.
This timeI realized this is BS! and I threatned to"take legal action" againstJim Coleman if they donot completely replace everything including the transmission because the car is clearly un-safe. So they did and returned the car to me with a fresh transmission andI was happy.

Just whenI was least expecting it, my transmission jammed into 3rd again this was the 3rd time it happened andI was with a car full of friends. I also noticed that my engine light came on when the other times it hadn`t.
I took the car to Jim Coleman and asked to speak with the manager. I told them the history of the car (there wasa list of many many other broken things on the car)and told himI would not be taking the car back because it is a dangerous vehicle/ a lemon. They gave me a ****in toll free numberfor jaguar. This is the point where i realizedI need a lawyer.

By the way, a few days later the service shop called me and told my car was ready. They said it was only the computer! I laughed and said ok (they always try to screw me over it seems)

The next day I got a lawyer and he said the same thing as I said, we donot call any toll free number for jaguar.
So my lawyer wrote Jim Coleman a letter saying that my car is unsafe, and the service department of Jim Coleman was unable to repair the car. We said that Jim Coleman has 30 days to comply to 2 options or we will take legal action;
1. completely refund the $19,950 spent on the car
2. replace the car with another, with the same warranty, and of equal or greater value

2 weeks later Jim Coleman apologized and offered me $19,950 in "store Credit" basicallyI have to buy another Jim Coleman car.

Jim Coleman avoided legal action for 1 reason. They want to save money, My jaguar was an unsafe vehicle, and ifI were to go to court a judge wouldhave ruled the car as unsafe forcing Jim Coleman to scrap the car. They knew this, this is why they gave me money. They clearly have all intentions to RE-SELL my blueJaguar X-typethat potentially endangers peoples lives.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: JIM COLEMAN LAWSUIT

or they will just fix it and re-sell it... or off to the auction.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

I love Colmans
Name:  DSCF0873a.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  52.9 KB

Old 04-26-2008, 07:15 PM

The transmission was replaced and I saw it. When it jolted it jumped into 2nd and then jammed into 3rd, once in 3rd it was locked. This was pretty rough, it is very dangerous for this to happen on the highway. If somebody was riding my *** and this happened they would hit me. there would be no sign of my car slowing down, no brake lights or anything just an instant halt.

This is very dangerous, more then enough to win a lawsuit.

There was a list of almost 20 other electrical things broken that took them multiple times to repair, including the outdoor thermometer,left rear speaker, the unlock/lock buttons on my key, the sunroof wouldnt close, theautomatic windows didnt work,the trunk wouldnt pop, the gas cap wouldnt release, a headlight melted!

many more things were broken mostly not electrical like sun visors, and vents popping out. I am convinced that the car was a lemon and that the dealership bullied me in all of the timeI spent getting repairs. I feltthey tried to get away with not repairing everything until I asked for it.I bought a Jaguar CERTIFIED car and replaced well over 2 grand in electrical parts. sometimes they would charge me for repairs saying it wasnt warranty covered.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you stood your ground and got your money back so to speak..I can imagine it was quite nerve racking not expecting the sudden slow down..enough to bump your nose on the steering wheel,doesn't take rocket scienceto see that no matter how you were sittng, this could of happened, unless you was in the back seat driving good thing no one was directly behind you...What kind of car are you thinking of getting now?..I can recommend that you stay away from any Land Rover..the ghost of Lucas haunts them too.

Good luck

Old 04-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

First off, not good to post lawsuit info on any website until eveytuing is finalized.
Second, the dealer bought you out of your car as a customer service position. Your car was not protected under the lemon law as you bought it used. They could have told you to shove it where the sun don't shine, but they did not. I personally think you are an ungrateful turd coming here spewing hate about the dealer when they actually took care of you better than they needed to. Be happy with the result.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 AM

I posted this reply for 1 reason, to state that I feel scammed from the service department of Jim Coleman.

You are correct about the lemon law. But as you can see my car was in fact dangerous and driving it would be risking my life. The car will continue to break it has serious technical/ mechanical/ electricaldifficultiesI know for a fack that the same thing would happen if you were in my position.
Of the 11 monthsI owned the car it spent almost half of the timeI had it in the shop

And lastly that deal is finalized, and even after the deal is over with and Jim Coleman gave me the refund it has nothing to do with customer service. They only acted after recieving a letter from my lawyer, Not when I spent hours talking to managers, and customer service reps.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:50 AM

I wouldnt be so unhappy/ "ungrateful" if i hadnt spent so much of my time on the car. I dont now about you but my time is valuable I cannot afford another trip to get my car fixed. When you can only drive a car for 2 weeks before it breaks again it is frustrating. IfI was refunded all of my money for rentals, missed work, and even missed school then I would be happier.

I donot mean to "spew hate" although I strongly believe the dealership could make improvements on customer service. I only mean to inform others of my experience, hoping that nobody else has togo through what I had to go through

Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

if you had the SE on the car like you say then the dealer could have brought a loaner to where ever you are at and then take your car. It sounds like the dealer was working with you in it an trying to fix the issue. I can understand how pissed you could have got because the problem was still there. How long after the problem started did you give up on the dealer and have the letter sent?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:46 PM

I gave up after;
1st time they replaced the computer and gave me the car back
2nd time I was frustrated and told them that the problem NEEDED to be fixed.
they told me the transmission was broken and they ended up replacing the whole transmission and the computer. my car was in the shop for over 3 and a half weeks for this single incident
3rd time transmission broke again,but this time the engine light went off and the transmission grinded and jammed more violently than all of the previous occurences.

this is all dealing with my transmission. as I previously stated, there were numerous (20+) things wrong with my car, andthe majority of thetime I brought in my car for a problem it was returnedunrepaired. On occasions it was repaired, buttheotherbroken thingsI wanted fixed weren't. This all occurred before my transmission gave for the first time. By the timethe transmission broke for the third time, I sent the letter.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

well the air vent thing is common so is the headlight melting. i have learned that when buying a used car there are going to be a few things wrong as stuff wears out.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 PM
one

I'm in the process of suing a tree for harassment.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 PM

Im with you man...I cant imagine downshifting to 3rd with doing 90 on the highway. Not only is that a reason to be pissed but Im pointing fingers 1st time maybe 2nd time ehhh maybe, but 3 times Im not driving that thing you couldve been killed. then what would they have said. if they are uncertain of the problem dont release the car until you know %100 that its in working condition

Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

I agree, the OP probably didn't mention half of the time and frustrations with the car in his first post. He felt his only option was to be bought out or have the car replaced. It did sound like the dealer was trying to fix it, but clumsily, not methodically or thoroughly, not taking his safety into consideration. Needless to say, they are giving you credit back to buy another car, which is good, and perhaps a 'thank you' to the dealr for finally giving you piece of mind, an apology to the service manager for any unpleasant things you may have said, and a shaking of hands will make everyone feel better...I know I would. But that's probably asking too much. Most likely, you will get another vehicle, but they may decline any service you may need in the future. i wonder if they can really blackball you like that.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:53 PM

You are correct, they did work with me. Im glad that they eventually solved the problem. The car Iused to havedid infact have too many unrepairableproblems and I still cant think of any other way I should have gone about the situation. The shop wasnt capable of solving my cars problems, and the car was especially dangerous, I felt that I had to take action ASAP.

I do not mean to sound like an ******* who sues foranything I can, I just felt that a lawyerwas the only person who they would listen to. I know that when I asked for the money backmyself they were notgoing to give it to me.

I have all intentions to buy another X-Type (this time MANUAL). I loveX`sthey are suchbeautiful cars,not to mention the AWD!
-I certianly will be purchasing an extended warranty

Old 04-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Adda boy bluejaggg...make sure she's blue, otherwise, you'll have to start over with a new name and 0 posts. [sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOOL - I had to replaced the oil pan gasket and the expansion tank on mine after 2 months of use - I bought the 2-year warranty and still had three months warranty from the dealer left. So went there and dealer paid the expansion tank and warranty paid oil pan gasket.! that was like $2K right there. Not problems now! If I ever sell this one I'll get a newer one!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I have a blue jag for sale! LOL! Aegian blue to be more specific...

Just make sure the car you get is worth it and not just an inflated price tag that your stuck with...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got good deal on mine - it's 2003 - got good deal on it. When I got the gasket and expansion tank replaced, Jaguar dealer checked for everything in the car that might need attention. So I only have that - Car is good and nothing else has come up!

Quick Reply: JIM COLEMAN LAWSUIT