X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed HID's in my fog lights - SWEEET!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Just installed HID's in my fog lights - SWEEET!

ORIGINAL: umnitza

We just signed onto this forum thanks to a fellow member Keith.

We completed his X this last weekend and did it with a 55W kit, not the standard kits that are available everywhere.

Keith paid $250 + install and various other parts.

If we get 10 people interested, we could do the 55W - lifetime warranty - kit for $225 shipped. It's a 10% savings.

Additionally, does anyone have a photo of the fog light bulb housing? We attempted to do Keith's this weekend, unfortunately, the bulb - while an H1 - has a funky holder and I could not identify it as an 880 or something similar. Any pictures would be appreciated.
----
If this is against standard protocol on this site, please let us know, email us and we'll hopefully resolve everything quickly.
----
Thanks Keith for the head's up.

How does the lifetime warranty work, is it for both the bulbs and ballasts? Also i was wondering how much you guys charge for install and where you are located?
Cheers

Old 08-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again there gotti...

Old 10-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Did anyone get this to work? Anyone figure out an install solution yet?

I'm about to do this - I'm sick of the pretend blue halogen bulbs that dont really match anyway and hid kits have come down significantly enough in terms of price to make this a worthwhile mod.

I have sort of figured out a solution in my head, but it would basically make the hid kit permanent to the car. Well not really, but you would have to replace the mounting rings in the fogs.

Here's what I'm thinking.... and please feel free to chime in here.

The current setup uses that mounting ring or base to secure the lamp in the fog light housing as well as provide the electrical connection using those metal tabs that are inside of it, and the connector on the other side.

The rebased H1 HID lamp has a standard H1 base, and is designed to work with the conventional mounting wire clip / spring that these bulbs typically mount with. What I'm thinking is you have to drill out the back of the factory fog light mounting base, to allow the wires (and possibly the bottom part of the HID bulb) to extend out of the back of that adapter. you might as well cut the right angle off of it as well, but its better that you dont, first to have something to grab onto and twist the ring back into the housing, and back out if you ever have to remove it.

I have not done this yet so I am uncertain if the metal clips in the base which provide the electrical connections to the connector also serve as a mechanical support to keep the bulb base in the proper position. From my memory replacing halogen bulbs it doesnt seem so. I know that the base has the straight edge piece to properly orient the bulb.

Now my worries.

1) How thick is that mounting plate on the h1 rebased HID bulb? the Metal one on a real h1 halogen bulb is pretty thin, so clearance when reinserting the assembly may be an issue, but nothing a file or razor blade probably cant solve.

2) since you have drilled a hole in the back of this mounting base to allow the wires out, you now have to seal it up. I'm thinking a permatex gasket sealer or possibly some jb weld plastic to seal around the wires and make the back of them waterproof. Not pretty, but it will work, and no one will ever see the back of the fog light housing anyway. Especially since you've just blinded them with your new HID fogs...

This seems like the only real solution here. The thing that kind of sucks is that if you order an H1 HID kit, it will not come with the proper electrical connectors to plug into the factory connector. So, the only solution there is to splice and solder etc...

Save the connectors if you want to ever revert to halogen fogs. You'll probably have to buy new fog light bases from Jaguar but oh well... that's the only real part you have to modify.

Take care,

George

Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Wow things to think about...I'll have to look at the scenario down there when I get a chance...

Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Yeah,

That's what I was trying to explain in the other post about putting hid's in the fogs... I was hoping that guy with the lighting company would chime in here, but it doesn't seem like he's too interested. I may e-mail or PM him directly and see if i can get a response from him.

Take care,

George

Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

I take it you didn't get your answer?!!!
Did you ask 750?

Old 11-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with 750 a couple months ago and he mentioned that the HID bulbs were installed w/ glue (gorilla glue) I didnt to go that route just in case I needed to remove the bulb. I found these but I dunno if they will fit.

http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=197

The fog light mounting base on the Xlooks like the HB4's. Would this fit in the X-Type Fogs?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Have you ever seen those lights in person? That is crazy that a led is nearly as bright as a halogen let a lone a hid! I mean they put out nice looking light but enough light to actually light up the pavement in front of you? Leds will be used I'm sure in the near future...cadillac has them now but its more of a running light feature more than a headlight...I'd just figure out a way to custom make a basket for the fogs to mount to...perhaps using a different kind of bulb size would help...jb weld and gorilla glue are amazing so the possibilities are endless!

Old 12-25-2007, 10:02 PM

As I promised! These are some new pics of my HID's. I changed them to 8,000K Umnitza HID, Luminics Pure Blue H1 bulbs in the Hi-Beams and Fog Lights

LED reverse & license plate lights

Luminics Pure Blue Hi Beams

R Performance Shift Knob & Belkin iPod Nano TuneDeck

Old 12-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Looks good...which lights you use for the parking lights/small bulbs in the brights part of the headlamp? Also the leds in the rear I like those any pics of those or where you bought them? I have a blue light in my parking light spot but that one you have looks like it will match the hids a little better...

Old 12-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did you get those kights. How much were they. Those are the nicest lights U have ever seen in my life.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:59 PM

The parking lights are from Umnitza.com and the rear LED are from vleds.com. You could probably find the 194 bulbs (parking & license plate lights) and the rear LED on that website.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:23 AM

how much did those lights cost you on the headlight

Old 12-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Your not talking about the hids right? Just the parking lights...? Couldn't have been more than 5 or 10 bucks...

Old 12-26-2007, 07:00 PM

no those HID

Old 12-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thought you already bought some through mydepots? I guarantee he spent about twice what you did or were going to spend on the mydepot hids...

Old 12-26-2007, 08:34 PM

yeah I did but will mine look a little likehis?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 PM

also where did you get those 2 inner light bulbs. Were they expensive where you bought them. Aquil told me they should be a few bucks at walmart.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Which color did you get Jason? I thought you went with 6k and 6k? If you went 6k it will be less blue but still looks sweet in person. I just had a kid stop by and pick up a couple of kicker subs off of me and he had the newer 07-08 civic with 10k hids and he hated them. He was actually "pissed because I can't see anything" as he put it. He totally would never have gone with them not to mention he didn't like that they showed up blue when he was driving..ie blue on the pavement and everywhere else. The 6k is the best combination for color and brightness imo. I'm glad I didn't go with 4300k or 5k as it would look more like a cadillac but mine set me apart from everything else without losing light output...I'll look for the bulbs at walmart if I go there and I'll let you know exactly how much they are...

Old 12-26-2007, 11:35 PM

yes doesnt have to be walmart, anywhere at far as local stores.

Quick Reply: Just installed HID's in my fog lights - SWEEET!