X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just thinking about replacing fuel filter???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile grazzzz iazzzzzzz

thanks for the info folks, I was getting seriously pissed of trying to find this bloody thing, dam i love the car but on petrol it was chugging like a sick whale, ( I converted it to lpg), but when sweet she is really sweet

wilson

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-21-2014)
Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clips

Taking a quick look at the fuel line clips with a flashlight. Is there any trick to get these off before I start the job?

whatshappening01 (09-04-2021)
Old 12-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced mine this evening. Was a cinch. 2003 X-type 2.5 Manual.

I will go back and take some pics tomorrow of the fuel pressure release location and of the filter location and some steps on removal.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by blaydes99
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I juts replaced my fuel filter today as well. It was pretty easy and is in the location that everyone is saying.

I'm not sure what special blends off fine herbs you guys were smoking when you did ths though, because "a few ounces" of fuel is an understatement. Both of my fuel lines sprayed fuel all over the place in addition to the 4 oz that I caught in a dish and another several ounces of dirty fuel coming from the filter.

At any rate, after changing the fuel filter out and hooking both lines back up again, expect the engine to turn over a little more than normal on the first start afterwards as the fuel filter and lines fill up with fuel again. I changed my current official Jaguar filter for an autozone filter, and everthing seems fine so far.
Hi Blaydes,
Did you need/use any special tools to release the IN/OUT fuel lines - from the Filter ?
I mean, what keeps the Fuel Lines attached to the Filter ?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lcgi
Hi Blaydes,
Did you need/use any special tools to release the IN/OUT fuel lines - from the Filter ?
I mean, what keeps the Fuel Lines attached to the Filter ?
It's cake. The fuel filter plugs into the two lines via little push clips.

To remove you just squeeze the little "buttons" on both sides (the lower one is blue, the upper were white and smaller) The upper one was a little confusing at first but it IS just a squeeze to release mechanism same as the bottom one.

Squeeze both sides and tug it out, should pull out fairly easily (it did for me). And to replace just slide the new filter in and you'll hear it click into place.

The only tool I needed was a 5/16th crescent wrench to undo the bolt on the main bracket holding the filter to the car, and a pair of pliers helped me spread the bracket a bit so I could slide the filter out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gunnar Gabrielson:
Lcgi (12-27-2012), whatshappening01 (09-04-2021)
Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Gunnar Gabrielson
It's cake. The fuel filter plugs into the two lines via little push clips.

To remove you just squeeze the little "buttons" on both sides (the lower one is blue, the upper were white and smaller) The upper one was a little confusing at first but it IS just a squeeze to release mechanism same as the bottom one.

Squeeze both sides and tug it out, should pull out fairly easily (it did for me). And to replace just slide the new filter in and you'll hear it click into place.

The only tool I needed was a 5/16th crescent wrench to undo the bolt on the main bracket holding the filter to the car, and a pair of pliers helped me spread the bracket a bit so I could slide the filter out.
Hi Gunnar,
Thanks for the reply and your description.

When you say squeeze both sides... is that with your fingers or would pliers/multigrips - be more appropriate ?

Cheers

Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Just Had Mine Replaced

I just had my fuel filter replaced at 81K. It was relatively inexpensive; parts and labor under 150/USDollar.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

$150 for that job...shops are crazy!
The part costs ~$17...and $130 for a 15 min job...damn I gotta open a shop

Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nardoswiss
$150 for that job...shops are crazy!
The part costs ~$17...and $130 for a 15 min job...damn I gotta open a shop
No kidding. Took me about 30 minutes because it was snowing and I wasn't sure what I was looking at, but if I did it again I think it wouldn't take more than really maybe 5-6 minutes.

By squeeze, it's just a finger squeeze. Mine came off pretty easy, you do have to squeeze fairly hard but it didn't hurt my fingers or anything. Shouldn't need pliers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gunnar Gabrielson:
Lcgi (12-29-2012), whatshappening01 (09-04-2021)
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnar Gabrielson
I just replaced mine this evening. Was a cinch. 2003 X-type 2.5 Manual.

I will go back and take some pics tomorrow of the fuel pressure release location and of the filter location and some steps on removal.
Why nobody keeps his promises...

Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nardoswiss
Why nobody keeps his promises...
It's still on my radar! Had to leave town for New Years. Sorry!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of doing this tonight. Did you need to jack up the car (or a side of it) to get access to the filter or were you able to do it with the car on the ground?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi ChelseaFC2014,

I'm away to change my oil and have made ramps for my 2.5 AWD and am gonna have a look -see whilst waiting to get my oil filter in the next 2 days post and unless you are super-slim, I don't think you'll be very comfortable.

Hope that helps! Oh and good result for you at the weekend! Regards, Stu

ChelseaFC2014 (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

chelsea, like Stuart points out, unless you are extremely thin or you park the car so it is sitting partly on a high curb, you are going to have a lot of trouble getting at the filter. Jacking up the car is about the only way to go with this. It will add a few minutes to the job, but will save you tons of time in the end. The other thing that I would propose is you jack up both sides of the car. This will help minimize the amount of fuel that may spill.

ChelseaFC2014 (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 PM

Haha I am not thin at all and it didn't work. I did not have enough maneuvering room for my arms nor could I reach one of the bolts. I also felt like the car was going to fall on me any second. I wish I had a car lift, looks like a very easy job. Thanks anyways.

Stuart Beattie (01-21-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 04:19 PM

I finally did this and learned a lesson - read the forum instructions carefully! Since the new fuel filter came with a brace I thought I would have to remove the old brace. The bolts holding the old brace were pretty rusted and I broke off one of them before going upstairs to review this thread. Turns out I could just loosen the one bolt opposite where the filter is screwed onto the undercarriage and wriggle it out. Hopefully the broken bolt will not cause a bigger problem later on.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Cool **Do not use K & N HP2009 with regular oil **

Hi again, ChelseaFC2014 and thanks to all of you!!!

Sadly these things happen, unlucky mate!

EDIT : Please Note :

K & N have now stated that if the manufacture recommends a particular oil for your vehicle and K & N recommends the oil filter for that spec, their products will be suitable for that oil.

I have yet to change oil and filter yet as I had an interesting experience with K & N filters.
I waited to get my HP2009 filter and was horrified to discover that on opening the package I realised that all was not well.
I had originally purchased castrol gtx 5w30 regular oil and then ordered the K & N filter not realising that NOW according to K & N, they do NOT advise me using the said filter as its only for SYNTHETIC!!

I emailed K & N and they said they would contact their head office in the US, but I am concerned as I only found this out after I had received the filter and read the advertising on the box.
I now am awaiting a PS 2009 filter which can be used with regular or synthetic oil.

The thing that concerns me is that K & N did not say the HP2009 filter cannot be used in conjunction with regular oil on their website and they only said
"CAN be used with modern synthetic or part synthetic blend media." on their site.

But it does say on the box "Specifically designed for use with modern synthetic or part synthetic blend media".

K & N are gonna get back to me as I now believe that many road users could have the wrong filter on their car.
The funny thing is I only acted on advice from my partners brother who suggested I check further when I realised there may be an issue.

I am also going to post this info as a new post as I think other members should be made aware of this!

I have to add a big thanks to Eurocarparts (Ebay store), who refunded me and allowed me to choose another correct filter!

I am awaiting K & N changing their advertising,
Regards, Stu
and if it stops raining and I get the new filter,
I can change my oil ** Bingo by Jingo!

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 01-28-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: add detail