Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob lower part price question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 05:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key fob lower part price question

Hi everyone

both my x type (2006) jaguar key fobes are pretty much disintegrating, so no buttons work.

i called jaguar dealer and they want 137 pounds plus vat for the lower part of the key fob ( the key part eould be another 136 plus vat!!) . I plan to program it myself after a video on youtube 😁.

My question is: is that lower part the same i can buy cheap on ebay or should i just stick with the jaguar one and pay 160?
I can also see on ebay some genuine ones but USA rather than uk. Would that be ok? Since its second hand, would it allow me to programme it to my car?
thank you!

Last edited by RoxanaW; 10-12-2022 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon Amazon

This one works for my UK jag - and I was able to pair it myself. NOTE only the transmitter buttons, NOT the transponder.

I did have to pay Timpsons to pair the transponder and cut the key blade, but it sounds like you'd be re-using your original blade and transponder.

One thing I noticed - to change from 'single door unlock' to 'all doors unlock' on the first click (by holding lock and unlock for 4 secs) - I have to use the original transmitter, the new one doesn't work for that - but everything else is 100%.

Be careful with overseas fobs - the frequencies are different - not sure if that is for the transponder, the transmitter, or both.

Have you searched for empty cases? If you can find someone with the skills - there is an 8 contact IC on the board that comes loose, and just needs some fresh solder.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:26 AM

Thank you do much for the info.

The micro switch ( or whatever that is called) is completely melted inside, i would need another one all together. And yes, i would keep the key blade part. Theres nothing wrong with that.

i think i will just order the second hand one ( specifying ok for uk cars) or the one you suggested and hope it will work. If not, i will have to pay the 160 pounds!

Thank you again 😀

Last edited by RoxanaW; 10-12-2022 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay - that sounds fine - just whatever you do - make sure you don't lose the TRANSPONDER - it's a small glass tube with a coil of wire inside in the upper (non electrical) portion of the key.

The button portion of the link above does clip into the original Jag key pretty well, so you could just link the buttons, and clip the new buttons into your original blade and transponder portion.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

UK is 433 mhz versus U.S. 315 mhz

The other option is just buying and swapping out the circuit board. There is also a kit to replace the soft rubber buttons if ever needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37428780415...SABEgLAzPD_BwE

Attached Files

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-12-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:51 PM

Hi there,

im hoping the transponder is in the part with the key? Please see attached, the part on the right is the one that i want to replace, and keep the one on the left.

I dont know if i have the skills to replace just small bits, i would rather just buy the whole ( half) part, less complications.

so in my mind, i can just buy the part on the right and fit it with the part that im keeping, program the key, and thats it. But now im asking myself how does the left part connect with the right ? 🤦🏻‍♀️ How does the programming of the right part happen ?

I wish there would be a clear explanation somewhere, its all very confusing.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

So attached to my previous post is the programming (bottom part of fob) instructions of door locks, trunk, etc buttons. The top part of the fob (with tibbe key) contains the transponder pellet that interacts with the PATS system allowing you to start your cat.

Here is a video of disassembly and reassembly of the fob. That's why I suggested just replacing the circuit board with the correct MHZ type. It ends up having to be done anyway to install the battery.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxavcapvdIc

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-12-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the UK and bought from UK sellers on ebay, I had one properly working fob and one with the microswitches not clicking. I bought a rubber button membrane and a new circuit board with the microswitches already fitted, in total I think it was £13. Used my original blade and top end of the key and followed one of the you tube videos you have already seen. Result: all working and quite easy to set up, in my case including full closure of windows after locking, only thing that doesn't happen by fob is powerfold of the mirrors, however I have the separate control for that on the inner door and this didn't happen with the original working fob either so probably not in the spec anyway.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

My understanding of the powerfold mirrors is that is indeed actuated from the interior button on the driver's side mirror adjustment pad. There is a way to have your key fob do it as well but, it involves (to my reading) some fairly involved rewiring of the system. There are threads in this forum and on Google search showing the process.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Am with you on that Dell,none of the power fold mirrors in the X types I've had have operated off the key fob.
On the subject of a spare key I recently got a new one from a local locksmith for £80 supplied and programmed. I know it's not Genuine Jaguar but it's a pretty good look alike and that included cutting the blade.Thought that was pretty reasonable.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:53 AM

Thank you, everyone!

i will let you know the result once Im done.
😁

Old 10-15-2022, 04:00 AM

Hi, me again

I did it!

I

ended up ordering the lower part in the picture.
then i tried the position 2 to 1 maneovre a few times snd it did not work. Then tried the method with the headlight stalk and that did not work neither. I was starting to think i will have to pay 160 plus programming at the dealer.
I tried one more time the first method and it worked!

Im over the moon!

Thank you for your help, everyone!

The following users liked this post:
tomhannah (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 09:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Roxana. How did u get the transponder pill 💊 out of the top of the old key please ??

Old 10-15-2022, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by NYCJAG2006
Roxana. How did u get the transponder pill 💊 out of the top of the old key please ??
hi there!
i used the old key blade part. If you look in the picture, i paired the old part on the left ( that has the key) with the new part on the right ( the one with the buttons) . Amazon sends the whole key ( key part and button part) , but in order to avoid unnecessary complications i just used the old key part since there is nothing wrong with that, it was the button part that was not working due to the insides being melted/ disintegrated due to age.

i would suspect most people have issues with thebutton part only, not the key part. Not much can go wrong with that one.

please let me know if i can help further.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:53 PM
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I bought an eBay uncut key for about US $10 to attempt the same thing RoxanaW did, just toss the upper part (physical key plus transponder chip) and use the 4 button remote for locking and unlocking the doors with my old physical key and transponder. The key I bought was shipped from China and when it arrived it did not work. With some effort I found out I had a 433 MHz transmitter while my US car wants 315 MHz. I emailed the seller to see if I could get one with the correct frequency, they sent me a 2 step procedure for swapping between the 2 frequencies and seconds later I was able to pair the remote with the car. That made me curious so I emailed other people selling these cheap keys on eBay. All three I contacted shipped keys capable of both 433 and 315MHz, but all three had different procedures for pushing which buttons to change the frequency. Buyer beware, but even the cheapest key remotes made today are likely to be dual frequency capable.

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (10-19-2022)