Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Itself will not lock doors as well as FOB does not either

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Key Itself will not lock doors as well as FOB does not either

Hi folks,

This is not for my car, but for a friend from a Facebook Jag group. He has a 2003 Jaguar X- type 2.5 V6,

Since he owned the car his key FOB has never locked or unlocked the car but it does unlock the boot and turns on headlights. He has always locked his car manually with the key.

So, after he replaced some parts (new alternator, serpentine belt, battery, and battery cables) his key now will not lock the car at all. However his auto locks (drive away at 5 mph) work and he can lock the doors using the drivers side door latch...so we know the locks still work and all the linkages are good so it seems like something electrical OR maybe when he changed out the battery something happened? Maybe his flap on the ignition barrel is not closing? My knowledge is limited. I also can't figure out how the key FOB could only half work? Why would it unlock the boot and turn on the headlights but yet not lock or unlock the car? We know it has to be paired to do any functions, right?

Any ideas people? Thank you in advance ;-)

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 11-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 759 Likes on 676 Posts

As per your question on fob, yes it is possible (not often or likely) that some functions can work while others do not. If you research it, there are some who have experienced partial fob failure and there is even a total repair kit sold in Great Britain (just won't ship to USA).

Read Thermo's posts in this thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...problem-14795/

Old 11-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 759 Likes on 676 Posts