X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keys Locked in Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Keys Locked in Car

Hi. I have an '05 X-type 3.0 and I can't find my car keys anywhere - after looking for 5 days! ! ! I have always thought that it's impossible to lock the keys in the car. If you lock the doors while you're sitting inside, they will unlock as you get out and you would have to have the remote in your hand outside the car to lock them again. My dealer agrees, though he wasn't certain.

That leaves the trunk. Is it possible to lock the keys in the trunk?

I'll assume for a minute that it is. What's the best approach? Have someone open a front door with a Slim-Jim? Get a locksmith? If a locksmith got in the interior, and if the keys weren't there, wouldn't he have to work on the trunk lock to check there? Sounds expensive. All ideas welcome. (and the mailman is getting tired of my car blocking the mailbox)

Old 01-30-2021, 07:28 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I think I would just go to a dealer with the vin and proof of ownership and see if they can cut you one. Might be too old of a car to do that with but it wouldn’t hurt to call and ask

Old 01-30-2021, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts

So... Lock door(s) sitting inside, open door, doors unlock. Cannot manually lock door(s) with door open (& then possibly be shut). Lock doors (w/fob or key in door) with alarm set, then open trunk, alarm sounds = have to key fob unlock doors (or key in ignition) to stop. Try to lock and set alarm with fob outside of car with trunk unlatched (open full or just "popped") & get "double chirp" that something is wrong.

Tried all of these today, so idk how key could be in either.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
So... Lock door(s) sitting inside, open door, doors unlock. Cannot manually lock door(s) with door open (& then possibly be shut). Lock doors (w/fob or key in door) with alarm set, then open trunk, alarm sounds = have to key fob unlock doors (or key in ignition) to stop. Try to lock and set alarm with fob outside of car with trunk unlatched (open full or just "popped") & get "double chirp" that something is wrong.

Tried all of these today, so idk how key could be in either.
That's not how my two X types have behaved Del.
Fully lock and set alarm with fob. Open trunk with fob. (Lift lid fully within 10 secs to prevent alarm)
Throw keys in trunk and shut it.
Keys are now securely and quietly locked in the fully alarmed car.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:37 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Funny story..

Several years ago my wife and I had over-indulged in "Happy Hour", I told her that I was going to drive down to the convenience store, which was only a few blocks away, she decided the best way to prevent me from DUI was to hide the keys to both of our cars. Now being as thorough as she is (and her knowing how resourceful I am); she hid the spare keys as well!

The next day she couldn't remember hiding the keys, let alone where. (We found them in her make-up case 2-days later).

Old 02-03-2021, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I did that and the local dealer said he doesn't have the machine needed to do it, but to call another nearby dealer, but they couldn't do it without the car.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:39 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I loaned my car to my neighbour to go to work, due to his car breaking down.
He loaded up the cars boot with tools and off he went.
He arrived at his place of work and opened the boot and removed tools that he needed, he then locked the car with key fob and then walked off with tools in hand to the building he was working at.
He came back to the car and opened the boot, placed the keyfob in the boot, took out some more tools and then closed the boot.

When he realised what he had just done I received a phone call.
Luckily I have a second spare key, and also I was fortunate to have a second x type too, so I drove down and got him out of his dilemma !

Hey BlownKitty, you said "We found them in her make-up case 2-days later", are you suggesting both of you share the make-up case

Old 02-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Man on the hill
I loaned my car to my neighbour to go to work, due to his car breaking down.
He loaded up the cars boot with tools and off he went.
He arrived at his place of work and opened the boot and removed tools that he needed, he then locked the car with key fob and then walked off with tools in hand to the building he was working at.
He came back to the car and opened the boot, placed the keyfob in the boot, took out some more tools and then closed the boot.

When he realised what he had just done I received a phone call.
Luckily I have a second spare key, and also I was fortunate to have a second x type too, so I drove down and got him out of his dilemma !

Hey BlownKitty, you said "We found them in her make-up case 2-days later", are you suggesting both of you share the make-up case
"We found them in her make-up case 2-days later" which could imply that I have my own make-up case. LOL!

PS It's great having 2 of the same make/model of car, and since mine is a 2007 and my wifes is a 2008 the majority of the mechanicals and servicing procedures are the same.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164422197706

a local locksmith may have one. apparently in the UK everyone has one, this is a must have if your day job is tool thief

Last edited by xalty; 02-03-2021 at 09:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xalty:
Stip3 (11-04-2021), Tijoe (02-10-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:20 PM
Received 8,120 Likes on 4,901 Posts

ANY competent Jaguar dealer can order (or cut if equipped) the keys from your VIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

They DON"T need the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2021, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

I did a good one 2 weekends ago. After XC skiing, I pushed my "unlock button twice" on my fob then popped the trunk like I normally do. This time while changing back into regular shoes, I set my keys down in the trunk area. (Estate/Wagon) I forgot to pick up my keys and closed the tail gate. Went to open the driver door and it was locked. CRAP! I left my keys in the trunk and all the doors were locked. Where we were parked was at least a 2+ hour que time for AAA to come unlock the car. Time to get creative. Went into the Issac Walton Inn and asked if they had any door poping tools. They said to ask the guy driving the Quad. Tracked down the Quad driver. (AKA the facility manager) He said he didn't have any door popping tools, but stated he would be happy to help. 3 employees came and looked at how the X-type doors are sealed and they said this might be a challenge. The 3 guys disappeard for about 15 minutes. In the mean time a friend in their car had a few tools, so we started trying to spring the passenger window wide enough to slide in a metal coat hanger. Not good enough, but we were close to being able to keep a gap in the seals. Back came the 3 guys with freshly cut wedges of wood, cut at different angles. (They had gone to their maintenance shop and cut them. I pried the door open enough for them to slip in a wood wedge. They pounded it down with a hammer and opened up a 1/4" gap. Took the coat hanger with a hoop formed in its end and slowly worked it down around the interior door handle. After several tries and a more steady hand than I had, the guy was able to pull the handle and open the Door. Took about an hour total from when I locked the keys in the car to when we opened the door.

If a traditional Slim-Jim doesn't work, the wedge in the door frame and formed wire will. If I /we were able to do it with primative jury rigged tools, a locksmith/tow service will make it look easy. Once a door is open you can pop the trunk and see of the keys are in the trunk. But opening the doors that way will cause your car alarm to go off, so if you can't find the keys in the car or trunk, you may end up having to be prepared to quickly disconnect the battery if your keys are not there otherwise the neighborhood will get to enjoy your alarm going off for a long time..

Last edited by Tijoe; 02-10-2021 at 08:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (02-11-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 10:06 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The Lishi tool that Xalty suggested is fairly simple to use (check
for a demo). Lishi makes some very innovative lock tools.

Once you find your key, it would be a good idea to have a couple of spares made, at least one of which should be able to start the car.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To begin with, you need to accept that almost any solution to the problem will cost you some money.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To begin with, you need to accept that almost any solution to the problem will cost you some money. Your task is to minimize it as much as possible. If you have your cell phone with you, you're all set. In that case, the most reasonable and budget-friendly option would be to call a technician, who is very likely to solve the problem. Typically, technicians use a large arsenal of mechanical and electronic "picks" to open locked locks. First, you should contact your local locksmith https://mylocallocksmithtx.com/grand-prairie/ who can help you unlock your car. But if the locksmith suddenly fails, which is very unlikely, then you are in big trouble.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidJustin
To begin with, you need to accept that almost any solution to the problem will cost you some money. Your task is to minimize it as much as possible..............
So true.
I still believe the cheapest solution is the pre-emptive one I first published on this Forum eight years ago, but probably not known about by some of the newer members, so here's the link

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ight=emergency

Old 11-04-2021, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts

Plus 1 Astro