X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kitten got.... problems. P1229 and gearbox fault...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 10:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kitten got.... problems. P1229 and gearbox fault...

$200 03 x type 2.5 awd, 156k miles.

Guy sold it to me as basically a parts car, but said it ran and drove till his brother cut the cats off and didn't replace the o2 sensors.

as we were loading her on the trailer, i realized that something electrical was going on, because letal the only thing that would work was the tail lights and the dome lights. No headlights, no door chime, no accessory, no power seats, no instrument/odo/ etc, no starter, no connection to the scan tool.

I got her home and started going through and trying to figure out this that and the other as to what could be the problem... and it dawned on me, duh... check the fuses. Sooooo... luckily i had just gotten a multi pack of mini fuses, because they had robbed like 20 fuses out of the power distribution box under the hood, and a couple from the box under the dash. I replaced them all but then i realized that there are a few relays missing as well. I checked them against the diagram, it's the more minor things, horn, wipers, etc.

So i get all the fuses replaced, and i plug in the scanner. First it pops up with 17 different codes. Obviously the ones for the exhaust system popped, and a few others. I cleared them and started her... the battery was at 11 volts because i had to use the taillights to get her home, because the trailer had no lights and it got dark on us on the 45 minute drive. So anyway, battery at 11 volts, 2 turns of the starter and she fired right up. So i let her run for a few seconds, sounded OK for a car with basically open headers. Turned her off and plugged in the scanner again. P1229 throttle motor relay. Also, the dash says engine systems fault and gearbox fault...

I changed the oil and cleaned the throttle body a few days ago. I just got the new tps today and swapped it out, as well as those janky *** pentalobe screws that strip as soon as you touch them. But i haven't gotten to put it back on yet, because it's dark and cold af outside lol. Plan on doing that tomorrow morning.

As for the open headers, I'm going to be replacing the cats as soon as i get an extra few hundred bucks. Lol I've also ordered new struts for the hood and deck lid, cam and crank position sensors, new coils and plugs (i already had a brand new set of plugs, but I'm not going to put them in until i get the coils in) replaced the passenger headlight (which im also having problems from the headlights working as well) and i also ordered new headliner fabric because the headliner is disgusting looking and falling down.

Also need to replace the connectors on the throttle body, because the morons apparently broke them at some point, which may well be the cause of the p1229 code according to what i have read.

The next project is the cats and o2 sensors, the wheels and tires, radiator support and cross member which were both damaged in a seemingly minor front end collision, and windshield, and then start trying to fix the banged up front fenders, and the paint job.

Anyway... any advice or knowledge about the gearbox and engine systems faults? I'm pretty sure the lack of o2 sensors is the cause of the engine fault.