X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last year for manual transmission in North America?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last year for manual transmission in North America?

Hi,

Currently looking for a sport model X-type and I think I read some where that 2005 was the last year that a manual transmission was offered in the X-type. Is this true?

I have the brochure for the 2005 model and from reading it, it sounds like the manual was only offered with the sport model, but I've seen a few for sale that clearly are not the sport model but have the manual transmission (so I guess I just answered my own question...).

Also is there any guide for VIN decoding which will break down the options? I'm finding a lot of dealers don't know the difference between a "sport model" and the "sport" mode of the auto trans.

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Last year for manual transmission in North America?

All the 2.5 came stock with a manual transmission (auto for them was extra cost). I don't know that there was a "sport" editiion available for the 2.5.

The sport model had body colored trim and a spoiler on the boot (trunk) lid. This would include the chrome trim on the bumpers, the mirrors, the door handles, etc. It's not inconceivable that some got the sport package with an auto. Sacriledge, in some points of view, I'm sure.

On the inside, the sport package had blackened wood on the dash I believe.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There around, keep looking. They are very popular in Canada

Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 PM

So Can anyone confirm that a manual transmission was available in the 2006 models?

From this review:

[blockquote]What's New[/align][/blockquote][blockquote]This year there are only minor changes to the X-Type. The smaller 2.5-liter V6 has been dropped from the lineup, leaving the 3.0-liter V6 as the only engine available. Jaguar has also made the five-speed automatic transmission standard equipment and discontinued the manual gearbox option. Remaining changes are purely cosmetic, such as a new chrome-mesh grille and updated wheel designs. Bluetooth wireless connectivity and Sirius Satellite Radio are new options this year.
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
[/blockquote]It would appear no. But from this one:
[blockquote][align=left]
For 2006, the X-Type has several changes. The Sport receives genuine carbon fibre veneer trim on the fascia and gear shift surround; a new chrome mesh grille, previously used only on high-performance R models, is added to the Luxury Edition, with an upper and lower version on the Sport; the 3.0-litre is now certified for ULEV ultra-low emissions standards; the automatic transmission is standard on both trim models;...

The base 3.0 includes a five-speed manual transmission, anti-lock brakes with electronic brake distribution, side curtain airbags, leather interior, Bronze Sapele wood interior
[/align][/blockquote][align=left]The above is from a Canadian review, so maybe the manual transmission was only available in Canada for 2006? I haven't seen any 2006 models with a manual for sale. Just wondering if I should concentrate on 2005 models only.
[/align][align=left]Thanks.
[/align][blockquote][align=left]
[/align][/blockquote]