X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last year for manual transmission (USA)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Last year for manual transmission (USA)?

It seems that 2005 was the last model year that you could get a manual transmission X type here in the states. Is that correct?

2005 was the year they also discontinued the 2.5l in the states but could you still get the manual transmission in both the 2.5l and 3.0l?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Yes, you are correct, 2005 was the last year the manual was offered for both engines.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Yes, you are correct, 2005 was the last year the manual was offered for both engines.
Your X is the 3.0 with the manual trans?? I knew they made them but never found one by me. They are all 2.5 manuals.

How is the driving with the extra HP and the manual trans?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

There isn't any extra HP, but it drives much more lively. The 0-60 is rated at .5 quicker at 6.6. I really think the manual transforms the car. When I was looking I wanted a manual that had the carbon fiber package, the Aruba wheels and heated setas. Took me 6 months of searching to find just the one I wanted. It was 500 miles away. I took a cheap plane ride there and drove it home. Has been pretty much bullet proof since, other than a propshaft which was luckily replaced under warranty. I think if more people on this site had a 3.0 manual there would be less frustration about performance issues with the X. Although not sports car, having the manual I have never thought this car was lacking power. Plus, I put on some Borla mufflers and although I can't say there are any power gains, it sounds really nice. I love the car!

You are right, they are rare. In 2005 Jag made 10,900 Xs and of that I would guess maybe 10% were manuals. Then factor in those that had the carbon fiber package and I would guess that would be well less than 1,000. So, it's not surprising you are having a hard time finding one locally. I occasionally search what is out there and recently found a beautiful one in Virginia. Price seems high to me at $16,999, but it does have 19K on it and is pretty much loaded. Would think you could get 10-20% off that, as even though this car has very low miles our cars are not the easiest sell for dealers. And a manual Jag could be een seen as a hindrance by some. If you really want a manual 3.0 liter you probably won't find one better than this and may want to consider checking it out: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Damn I really like this car.. But still isnt the 3.0 rated @ 227hp, compared to the 2.5 rated @ 197hp? With that extra 30hp it should make it alittle more peppy. I love driving with my manual trans, I have been doing it since I was 18 with all of my cars. Its makes the drive much more fun and spirited.

Your right about the dealer looking to dump these cars.. When I purchased mine from the local Jag dealer he said very few want it with the manual and they really dont keep them on the lot. He had the one I purchased and after I drove it, I loved it and bought it on the spot. My 04 has been pretty much dead reliable, BUT that black one is calling my name.. Would they find it weird that I trade in manual for manual?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, the 3.0 liter rated at 227 HP. Night and day difference between the 3.0 liter and the 2.5, manual or not.

The dealer won't care if you would trade manual for manual. And if they think you're weird, who cares? All they care about is selling the car. Keep in mind if you wnat to trade yours in that it works both ways. They will want to give you very little for your trade in. You might do better trying to selll it yourself. You are right about that particular car in the link, it IS really nice. If it was closer and not winter I might even consider looking into it just because it has low miles (mine has 63K) and looks so damn good in black (mine is quartz). All I know is whoever buys that car will be getting an absolutely beautiful car, will low miles, that is very very rare and probably for not a lot of money.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Wow, that really does look like a nice example of a 3.0 manual. It also has the xenons which are a must-have for me.

I've also thought of an S type with manual tranmission. I think the last time they sold those in the USA was in 2003.

So what did the sports package include in the 2005 models? Is it mostly different wheels or does it give better brakes and stiffer suspension?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Most of the enhancements are cosmetic, like the blacked out grill, lack of chrome trim on the bumpers, rear spoiler and the aero pieces on the sills and rockers. The suspension is a bit stiffer, and the wheels bigger and lower profile tires, but nothing like more horsepower or bigger brakes or rotors. I think in 2005 the Sport model was only offered in black, qaurtz and silver, as I have never seen a Sport in any other colors than that from 2005 on. You could get the Sports in all colors in earlier years, or at least I have seen them in more colors in earlier years. The carbon fiber/alcantara was first offered in 2005.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Most of the enhancements are cosmetic, like the blacked out grill, lack of chrome trim on the bumpers, rear spoiler and the aero pieces on the sills and rockers. The suspension is a bit stiffer, and the wheels bigger and lower profile tires, but nothing like more horsepower or bigger brakes or rotors. I think in 2005 the Sport model was only offered in black, qaurtz and silver, as I have never seen a Sport in any other colors than that from 2005 on. You could get the Sports in all colors in earlier years, or at least I have seen them in more colors in earlier years. The carbon fiber/alcantara was first offered in 2005.
Cool, thanks for the info.