X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left CV axle replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left CV axle replacement question

So in replacing the left (driver side) wheel bearing I may need to also replace the cv axle. From the info I've dug up online
(which isn't much) it seems the right side is the difficult one and the left just pops right out. Just wanted to confirm this before I do something stupid. Any tips/advise would be appreciated. TIA

Dave
2004 X-Type

Old 08-27-2022, 08:22 AM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Right side is the one that goes into, and through, the Transfer Case. The left one just plugs into the transmission directly.

Old 08-27-2022, 12:57 PM
Received 8,307 Likes on 5,013 Posts

Both the CV axles 'pop-out' (like any common Japanese gearbox version) BUT the right axle needs to be 'split' from the shaft that goes through the transfer case.

DO NOT pull the long shaft through the Xfer case. It does come apart and is about the same length as the left axle when pulled apart.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it. Just wanted to make sure so not to screw it up.

Dave
2004 X-Type

Old 09-02-2022, 09:28 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got an Infiniti i30 1997. I'm doing a passenger-side cv axle replacement and ran into some problems. I got the wheel bearing nut out and the lower strut mounting bolts out and the driveshaft from the knuckle out.

Then, I got those 3 little 12mm screws out from the middle of the shaft. On Pg 871 (FA-13), it says "remove right drive shaft from transaxle" but I can't even budge it. How do I get it out from the transaxle?

Also, what is the tool to put the new seal on the transaxle? Do I need to put a new seal? Is tranny oil going to come out when I remove the shaft from the transaxle?

Picture illustration:

Got my wheel bearing nut out

Removed the driveshaft from the knuckle.

Removed the 3 small 12mm nuts but I can't get the shaft to come out of the mount or from the transaxle.

My Autozone rebuilt shaft with the 12mm screws

This is where the driveshaft goes into the transaxle. Will tranny fluid come out when I remove it? Do I need to buy a new seal? What is the tool they mention in the manual?

Thanks for your answers.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts
Old 09-18-2022, 07:10 AM
Banned

@Dell Gailey thank you so much for your suggestion

Old 03-27-2023, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pilegreatest
I just got an Infiniti i30 1997. I'm doing a passenger-side cv axle replacement and ran into some problems. I got the wheel bearing nut out and the lower strut mounting bolts out and the driveshaft from the knuckle out.

Then, I got those 3 little 12mm screws out from the middle of the shaft. On Pg 871 (FA-13), it says "remove right drive shaft from transaxle" but I can't even budge it. How do I get it out from the transaxle?

Also, what is the tool to put the new seal on the transaxle? Do I need to put a new seal? Is tranny oil going to come out when I remove the shaft from the transaxle?

Picture illustration:

Removed the 3 small 12mm nuts but I can't get the shaft to come out of the mount or from the transaxle.

This is where the driveshaft goes into the transaxle Nail Broken off. Will tranny fluid come out when I remove it? Do I need to buy a new seal? What is the tool they mention in the manual?

Thanks for your answers.
Hello. I need to replace my Left front axle. what are my options, could i get it fixed or Is buying a new one my only option, if so where is a good place to buy it from so I won't have to spend a lot of money buying it from the dealer. thank you

Old 10-08-2023, 11:40 AM

Replacing a CV axle can vary depending on the specific make and model of your vehicle, as well as the condition of the components. While it's true that in some cases the left side (driver's side) may be easier to replace, it's always a good idea to consult your vehicle's repair manual stylish or seek advice from a qualified mechanic who can provide guidance based on your exact vehicle and its condition. They can offer tips and advice specific to your situation to ensure a successful replacement without any issues.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by dtom4
So in replacing the left (driver side) wheel bearing I may need to also replace the cv axle. From the info I've dug up online
(which isn't much) it seems the right side is the difficult one and the left just pops right out. Just wanted to confirm this before I do something stupid. Any tips/advise would be appreciated. TIA

Dave
2004 X-Type
Hey Dave,

For your 2004 X-Type, when you mention replacing the driver side wheel bearing and potentially the CV axle, are you finding the left side easier based on your research? I've heard varying opinions on this, with some suggesting the left side is more straightforward than the right. Before diving in, do you have any specific tools or techniques you're planning to use? And have you encountered any nuances or challenges specific to the X-Type that might be worth noting? Any insights you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-25-2023, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts
Old 11-22-2023, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by pilegreatest

Picture illustration:

This is where the driveshaft goes into the transaxle. Will tranny fluid come out when I remove it? Do I need to buy a new seal? What is the tool they mention in the manual?

Thanks for your answers.
Typically, a special tool is used to seat the new seal properly. It's essential to ensure a leak-free fit. Your local auto parts store should have the right tool for this job.