X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left with a foul taste in my mouth

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Left with a foul taste in my mouth

As youmay/maynot know, my mother is in the market for a 2004 3.0 X-type. Last evening we stopped by Jaguar of Troy, Michigan. This Jaguar claims to be the best Jaguar nationwide.

Earlier during the day I called inquiring how many X-types were on the lot. Mr. X as we shall name him, noted that there were 5/6 X-types at 3pm. I specified that I was interested only in an already certified vehicle.

Come 7pm, we make the 25 mile drive to the Jaguar dealership. Mr. X is busy w/other customers, and we stand outside looking at the X-types. No complaints thus far. We only find 3 X-types, one non-certified, sold as-is from an off-lease. Therefore, there are only 2 X-types. Mr. X is done w/his customers and heads out promptly. He mentions that they sold 3/4 in the last four hours. I was a bit aggitated that he did not notify me that only 2 residual vehicles were left that met our criteria. However, this is business and I understand they wouldn't call me up and walk away from a potential sale. Nevertheless, I asked for a test-drive

2005 X-type w/17k miles asking price is $22,999 + additional one-day only $1500 rebate (yea, right!), so the asking price was 21,500. Well, upon intial inspection, the exterior was in my mind fair condition. Numerous rubbings, a shoddy attempt to cover-up numerous scatches on the driverside quarter pannel, and a dent on the passenger quarter-pannel.

Test-drive: It was a clean vehicle from the interior. Drove well, no complaints. Though the brakes did feel as if they were on its last leg. Furthermore, when I braked, I heard a grumbling noise, almost as if there were air in the system/perhaps a failing master cylinder, I don't know. Also appeared as if outer tire was wearing a bit faster. Checked everything I could in a 20 minute test-drive.

Return to dealership. Wait for Mr. X doing something else. We tell him it's a fair vehicle with some blemishes we'd like to discuss. Mr. X imposes that vehicle is used and cannot be immaculate. Furthermore, it is certified and we shouldn't worry. I tell Mr. X, I would like to make the best calculated decision we can. I impose that customer is always going to look for the best vehicle he/she can buy. Mr. X doesn't listen to my requets for service history, nor discussion about current concerns of the vehicle. He only wants a price. Well, I understand this, as he only makes comission on what he sells. Mr. X aggresively imposes price, as if he wants us in and out. I simply ask him if he wants a quick deal, why didn't he notify me that they do not have vehicles that fit our criteria, and not to waste his time or my time coming out there that evening.

Anyways, Mr. X still imposes price and does not let me finish my list of concerns, so Igive him a staring offer of $19,000. He outright refuses. Fine, I understand if they don't like the figure, fine. However, I impose that he knows what my concerns are about the vehicle and how I calculate such a value. I begin to pull out KBB valuesI earlierprinted out. Mr. Xstates vehicle is used andexterior is what it is. I counter and tell him Jaguar of Troyis top tier Jaguar, we have to reach an agreement since in my opinion car is not in great exterior condition as his price suggests. I offer to take Mr. X out to showhim my concerns. He refuses and sticks toprice.He then goes to make his brilliant analogy: something along the lines of, look at your shirt, it's wrinkled and look at my suit, that's how an exterior is for used and new. I ask him about his poor analogy and if he is comparing my dress atire to a used vehicle. (For reference, shirt was somewhat wrinkled, however I was wearing khaki shorts, and Nautica shirt, nothing out of norm for a summer day). Absolutely unacceptable.

Mother begins to impose that this is poor customer service. She is in the customer service industry for insurance. Mr. X keeps interrupting her, not allowing her to complete a sentence. He starts yelling and pulls his manager.

Anyways, to make a very long story short, manager was very professional.He went outside and allowed us to talk about our concerns. He knocked down pricean extra $1000, to $20,500. My original price was$19,000, but I would have worked upwards of$20,000, and I'm sure we could have reached an agreement.

I told manager absolutelyunacceptable for a top tier Jaguar dealership.Mr. X'spatronizing my attire has nothing to do with the vehicle, and aggresively pushes price rather than listening to customers' concerns.

If this is a litmus test of whata top tier Jaguar dealership has to offer, no thanks. Heck, if this is the way I'm dealt with for buying the vehicle, I don't want to even imagine how it will be when I actually have an issue with the vehicle and bring it in for service.

Anyways, sorry for the long message, I appreciate the venting room.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts
Default RE: Left with a foul taste in my mouth

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  6.3 KB

Hey there ancient...........wow, what a shitty experience all round.
I'm in sales and it sounds like you were not talking to a real salesman. The cardinal rule is " the customer is always right - even when he's wrong" and of course there are ways n means of showing him he's wrong without actually telling him...lol
Seriously though, one thing he shoulda done is LISTENED!.Talking over your customer is an absolute no no, whatever you're selling.
I'm not sure how long you were with Mr X........but from what you've said I reckon after 5 minutes I would have been asking for another salesman or manager, if I had stayed at all.
Remember, you're the customer, the guy with the bucks that he wants, he needs you more than you need him.
I reckon, if you decide to have any further dealings with that particular delaership, I would only deal with the manager. I don't know how close your next dealer is, but I'd start looking.
You could always do a Julia Roberts ( Pretty woman )......buy your Jag somewhere's else, drive back and ask to see Mr X and take him to your car ( whilst waving your keys in his FACE...lol)
You work on commission right?...Big mistake, HUGE!!!....lol

Whatever, hope you find the X thats right for you.....keep looking, there's plenty out there.

JC

Old 06-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A

Last edited by aquill1; 04-12-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well it is sales and the market is hot...

Old 06-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  6.3 KB

Not the way to think when you're in sales racer bud........there's always a lean time just around some corner or other.
N those guys you treated like dirt ( all of them ) are buying cars elsewhere!
Its a buyers market

JC

Old 06-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Market is hot ......Well, notonly chicks are hot but also market is hot .

Old 06-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Market it bismal here in Michigan not hot!!! Either everyone wants used x's because they can't afford a new one or people that would have traded them in normally have to hang on to them! Let us know ancientskirt!