X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left rear wheel seems to bind.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 06:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Left rear wheel seems to bind.

When all four tires are off the ground on my 06 x-type and transmission is engaged, the left rear doesn’t spin easily like the other three. Not sure if this is the wheel bearing, axle or differential causing the problem. Because my ABS band is broken I plan on replacing the axle and while I’m at it, the wheel bearing. Any thoughts on this?

Old 08-10-2021, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,999 Likes on 794 Posts

Hi Jeff,

Also don't overlook the possibility that it could be a dragging rear caliper for either main braking or parking brake that are adding friction into the equation.
Probably far easier to temporarily remove a caliper to eliminate it (just remember to support the caliper weight with a bungy so you don't stress the brake hose).

As you will see in my signature, I don't have an AWD model myself, but purely from a mechanical logic perspective..... it might be helpful for you to isolate the rear drive shaft so you only have the rear differential, drive axles, hubs and brakes in the mix, then compare RR and LR behaviour.
If the rear diff input is static (not able to spin during your testing), when you rotate the left rear it probably is then transferring through the diff spider gears and rotating the right rear in the opposite direction.
If that is the case (as per most differentials) is the tightness you are feeling in left side actually a problem in the right side reflecting back into it?
Set up a test where the prop shaft is able to spin freely and then the rear wheels should hopefully rotate fairly independently of each other (lock one rear wheel at a time with a block of wood so the diff input shaft is forced to rotate instead)....that might help you isolate and confirm you are focusing your efforts on the correct side.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Wallman (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the insight. I actually replaced that caliper about a year ago because it was binding and replaced all rotors and brake pads. I should have mentioned that. I did double check that tonight. I will do some more checks tomorrow. Thanks again.