X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light bulb replacement

Hey guys, i just notcied that my passenger side light bulb is out and i need to replace it.
I looked under the hood and noticed that there is barly any space for my hand to move around in ther, do i have to take off the bumper or somthing or is there a trick to it? I cheked the FAQS and only found the Stype instructions also should i replace both of them the right and left of just the one thats blown out?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Replace just the one which is gone. In order to replace the one on the driver side you need to take the battery out and is not really fun. But, it can be done if you want.
Just be sure you are replacing the old bulb with a similar one (white glass or blue glass) and the same power (55W is the original I think).
It is not necessary to take the bumper out or something like that. Just simple rotate de circular cover anti-clockwise and take it out, press the spring clip towards the bulb and downwards to release the bulb. Pull the connector from the bulb.

Now, in order to install the new bulb do everything in reverse.
Be careful and patient, the headlamp assembly is quite fragile. It will work.

Do not touch the bulb with your fingers. You will leave some grease on it and it will burn. If you accidentally touched it, be sure you will clean it with some alcohool before you install it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Tracus; 02-26-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 AM

thanx man, i was sorta paranoid and not the greatest with handy work even if its unscrewing a cuple of bolts and screws to take off the bumper...should i wear latex gloves? i always see techs on the speed channel with them on or is thers a special type of laytex with out that powdery resadue? HEY i just noticed ur from CALGARY :P Um up here in Edmonton

Last edited by Jessy; 02-27-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well that would be the correct procedure for the High beam but not the "Dip beam". You did not say which is blown out. If it is the "Dip Beam" then you need to unclip the bale that holds a plastic cup like cover to the back of the headlamp assembly. Then you need to unclip the bulb as stated above. Yes, it is VERY tight in there and good luck getting the cover and bale wire back in place. Why they did not make an unscrewable cover for both beams I do not know! Yes, both beams ar 55W H1 lamps. Yes, you can wear latex gloves if you want. Hopefully the blown bulb is not mealted to the lamp socket! That is a common problem. Let us know cuz that is a whole other issue!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Hello Jessy,

Yeap, I'm in Calgary.
If you come in Calgary come in, I will replace the bulb for tou.

Even if is the other bulb is not hard to replace it. I did this job a month ago and I replaced all of mine. I also changed the bulb connectors with simple ones, one was kinda melted and sometimes worked, sometimes didn't (when outside was -40C degrees), plus the bulbs can breath better.
I put Sylvania (OSRAM Germany) blue glass (from Canadian Tire) same power (55w) but I do have more white light.
You just need to be patient and calm.

Cheers!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 AM

Its not the high beam its the dip one/daytime/nitetime running one

Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM

You must be a litle gynecologist then...
Use a flash light to se properly. Also if you have the owner's manual you will find the "how to" in the maintenance chapter.
You can do it, we can help!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Its alllllll guddddd... i went to canadain tire and picked up a bulb the hard part was taking off the black housing case and putting it back on i managed to get it all aligned but the clip on the inside is now impossible to put back on i got the one on the right side, i tried getten with a hanger hook but no luck. However it seems gud enouf to drive with. Thankx guys for all the help it took me only about 40 minuts to do this "project". now for nect weeks project the driver side bulb.