X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2003 X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Looking at a 2003 X-Type

In a recent post - Jim shot me a link to youtube where they tested the dsc in a really extreme environment. The x-type was trying to climb up hill and when the front tires hit the ice it couldnt pull and more and only the front tires spinned.

About 5 minutes in

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wR1SSxpKitE

Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

that is a great video. How did they change the traction control on and off? I did not even think the X-Type had traction control.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  6.0 KB

Buck, I'd love to move down there mateI've had some grrrreat nights out in Newcastle, gotta love the lassies down there mate
Any chance you can put me up?

On the subject of diesels, check out this Audi A8, a V8 twin turbo diesel. This car can do 0-60 in 6 secs and 150mph. On Top Gear they drove it from London - Edinburgh and BACK a total of 800 miles on one tank of fuel!!!
Audi-A8-4.0-TDI-London-Edinburgh-part1
Audi-A8-4.0-TDI-edinburgh-london-part2

Jim

Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a Dynamic Stability Control (traction control) switch right on the shifter console.
The security light is built in right above the switch. I am very impressed at how well it
works! A yellow light comes on on the dash when the system kicks in. I can't get the
rear end to brake loose much even if I trybut I can if I shut the DCS off!
I thought all X-Types had it but I guess not. Am glad I have it up in Maine!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: JagXV6

There is a Dynamic Stability Control (traction control) switch right on the shifter console.
I thought all X-Types had it but I guess not.
mine does not have it. I sometimes wish it did, but so far I've been okay without it.
Funny thing though, I'd probably drive with it turned off most of the time anyway. I hate it when things think for me.....

Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: McJaguar

ORIGINAL: JagXV6

I thought all X-Types had it but I guess not.
mine does not have it. I sometimes wish it did, but so far I've been okay without it.
Funny thing though, I'd probably drive with it turned off most of the time anyway. I hate it when things think for me.....
Mine doesn't have it either but I really want that feature for the added piece of mind. I have never driven a car with traction control and stability control and just about every safety system you can imagine. But even in fairly crummy weather, the X-Type has done pretty well. I'd still like to have it, though.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was amazed with my 02 X-type with the traction in the snow especially with the DSC. If only it had a suspension button to raise the car to go over the snow drifts!

going back to the 03 X-type i would suggest to watch out for the transfer case, it ended costing me a bundle. and around 75,000 miles i had to replace the fuel pump which I know other members had problems with the engine cutting out. Other than that the minor ones were O2 sensor and air mass flow sensor.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: McJaguar

I think Jim hit it onthe head there.
I have an '02 2.5 5spd (is the one you've made an offer on a 5spd or auto?)
I gave $6k for mine, but it had 106k miles on it. 8k seems a good price for one with 62k on it.

my list assumes you're a do-it-yourselfer.
Common problems that aren't so bad:
1) rear- lower/front control arm bushings. $200. Makes a sound like you're bottoming-out the shock. Even after you replace the shocks... ask me how I know [:@]
2) brakes suck. $350. You won't realize how bad they really are 'til you replace them. MOST (not all) of us feel that QUALITY aftermarket rotors and pads are a wise investment. Then bleed 'em properly.
3) little stuff like the defroster vents popping-up. (use some good 2-side tape) and the driver's door latch sticking (careful how you remove the door panel, but WD40 does wonders for this one) etc etc.

Common problems that ARE a big deal:
1) Listen for a whine, as Jim suggested. a Whine may signify that the T-case is 'fixin to take a dump', as they say at my in-laws house. The t-case fails commonly on these cars. Mainly (in our collective opinion) because Jaguar has called it "sealed for life", and we say B.S. The rear-output bearing fails first, because the lube gets low and breaks down. Count on $1500-ish, and a royal PITA.
2) A "HOWL" under the car, usually when decellerating, and typically most notable when cold. This is most often a driveshaft support bearing... which, true to Jaguar form, is not available except as a driveshaft assembly: $1000

other than that, regular maintenance seems to make these cars last. We have some smart cookies on this site who've figured out how to do alot of things that make these cars last much longer.
WellI bought mine from the local Jaguar dealer and its has been a pleasure to drive. Its a 2004 AWD 2.5 with the manual trans. Came with a 6 yr Jaguar warranty which I really havent used yet.

1) I did have the "HOWL" last winter and the dealer fixed the issue.

2) And they replaced the defroster vents free of charge since the clips were broken..

I do have an issue with the pass door sticking and I will try the WD-40 trick.. Thanks

I love the car and I have suggested an x-type to all people looking for a nice car to drive.. If the x-type you are looking at is in good condition, go for it.. You wont be disappointed.. GL with it