X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy X-type . . . any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Congratulations!

Since you did manage to cut a rather impressive deal on the price, there is one item you might wish to consider purchasing, if one is available: an After-Market Warranty.

Find the local used car dealership with the best reputation for shop-work on foreign cars and inquire. When we bought our used 2002 X-Type, the $1,200 spent on the warranty what was really "saved our bacon". Just like the dealership we purchased from, I am sure the "warranty" on you car expired the moment you handed the seller the money. ("As-Is, No Warranty").

The transmission munched out immediately, needed a water pump, defrost-door actuator motor, and a rear third-light brake light assembly. The $1,200 covered it all.

The after-market warranties come in about three flavors, read the fine print and consider the one most appropriate for you and your budget. Ours required the oil and filter be changed every 2,000 miles, with documentation, from an ASC Certified Shop - but I was fine with that, as it helped me build a close relationship with the Service Adviser and Mechanics (threw them a couple of bottles of Jack Daniel's that Christmas).

Yes, the weak link 2002 is the Transfer Case AND the Automatic Transmission, but if it indeed has the bug(s), once they are out the car is good as gold.

The secret is to not stomp the accelerator pedal, it's that simple. It may be a Jaguar, and have the "Sports Trim Package" - but is most definitely NOT a Sports Car.

It is an "Executive Sedan".

Welcome, enjoy, and best of luck with your World Class Motorcar!

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks Alaphacat,

DON'T GET ANGRY, GO FOR A DRIVE......
The Jaguar X~Type let's you know YOU'RE ALIVE..
Taste the tension, let your passion flow
Sure as sizzling sunshine feel the rapture resonate
Day and Night the Jaguar will bite...
From the Delight of the Dazzling dawn Sparkling yonder through the night...
Your Jaguar X~Type will mesmerise and tantalise
Awakening dreams so vibrant, so bright
An age of enlightenment shall beckon you forth and you shall see the Light!
Everything will seem so different, AND EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT!
Enjoy the JAGUAR~BITE, it's ALL PART OF THE GAME,
For the Jaguar X Type will take you there, again... and again!
Feel the FREEDOM, Unleash the Chase, and go where she takes you!
Woo her Passion and behold her charm, free to go just anywhere...
There's nothing behind you so don't hold back.......
JUST LIVE THE DREAM AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

Or something like that?

Enjoy, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 02-03-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie
Hi Alphacat, welcome to the forum,

I have the model you are looking to buy, well less 500cc, yes the 2.5 and I highly recommend both and I'll see if I can advise and put you in the light with a few posts.

A, I've never had a sunroof, sorry
B I Damn well love my X~Type!
C If you like to investigate issues, the X~Type is a good car for DIY service, no issue if you regularly pay for service-maintenance but in my humble opinion, when things are tight I believe most Jaguars are better behaved when you get to know your baby and the DIY approach will help you in so many ways!!

D She will be YOUR car, You make the choices and she will be YOUR PRIDE AND JOY!!

The 2002 X~Type needs a little TLC and this forum has aided me to a much greater effect than if I had headed into the unknown alone as I have found so many helpful and enlightening views and expert and friendly advice.. in short my life and my adventure would not be the same!!!

Here's a sample of many of the great ingenious posts I have come across and some I have participated in and taken great tenure and understanding from :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...liable-108767/

Oh and one of my rare posts, I just had to let you see mine, some say it's vanity, on good days, it's self-awareness and for the bad times, it's paranoia!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-phew-107236/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-owners-95731/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...aligned-98743/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...x-type-103407/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ed-why-103944/

These are just a few of the amazing posts here Alphacat, I have had so much fun here and learnt so much about my car and the Jaguar Brand.

I for one could NOT see past Today without the wondrous view of seeing myself driving a Jaguar for the rest of my LIFE!

I want to name some of the great posters, superb advisers and technical masters who all add to the fascinating charm of owning a great car and being part of this forum, but I won't as EVERY member and moderator adds so much zest and intuition and of course subtle humour ONLY WITH JAGUARFORUMS.COM

Ahem RE: The sunroof, I would pay most attention to that as I have had a sunroof with other brands, re the closing and operation and the buffed headlights, I am not sure what you mean, were they machine cleaned ie brushed? And the carpets are new, why?

If the owner cannot give straight answers, I suggest a no-go and the cd player, what's wrong with it?

I do believe if you are in debate about whether the car is a good buy from what you see, then what can't you see?

Maybe this is not the right one for you Alphacat, but patience is a great virtue too, as my Father has always told me and reminded me AGAIN and AGAIN!

You maybe want to do more surfing/looking around and hey, if you know any jag owners in your area, they like me will probably be delighted to sum up the pros and cons, chat to them!
That's why you're here, well done, the right place.

The 2002 model has a few mainly minor issues but I love mine and I am more than comfortable, many members say the 2004 models on are less troublesome and the main difference is the models from 2004-2005 on don't have a viscous coupling, the AWD 4x4 utility is controlled by the DSC Dynamic Stability control, there's an extra button near the J-gate or gearstick.

I personally think that the AWD all wheel drive is second to none (and better!) on my model however there ARE differing views and to add on the newer models, I have no complaints and the more I get to know my 2002 X~Type, I become more fascinated!

I don't want to put you off the model (for sale) you are interested in, but maybe after a GOOD LOOK, the right X~Type will be just around the corner, WAITING FOR YOU?

I rest my case Alphacat and look forward to speaking to you again soon when you've taken that MASSIVE STEP (forward in my view!) and GOOD Luck!!!

regards, Stu
Hey Stu I have front fog lights on my x type.. I do not know how to get to turn them on. I understand the knob pulls out I left the fog lights don't work when the main lights are on. Do you have any suggestions I might try?

Old 03-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Rob,

The first turn is for side-lights, then the second for full dipped.
Whilst on full-dipped, one pull is for the spot lights on then the 2nd pull (further out), is for fog lights.
Do you have the blue light on, if so this is when the indicator stalk is pulled back and your fog lights won't come on if your headlights are on full.

I hope that helps as I have summut on just now, but will return to see if you've posted again!!
Good Luck, it's all trial and error but hope you get sorted!! Stu