Old 06-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

thanks for the TSB moto!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
kojo, if the one in your trunk if failed, then I would be interested in it. I'm ironically looking for a broken one, not one that is working. That way I can use my electronic skills, figure out what failed in it and then possibly work out an improvement that can be performed on the controller by most people to make the controller last forever. Part of this controllers problem is that it is located in a harsh environment (back side of the radiator). It gets a little toasty there which is bad on electronics unless they are specifically designed to handle that environment. We'll see what I find and then go from there.
Here is the interesting bit from Motorcarman's attachment:

There are various root causes but the design and quality of the printed circuit board
within the cooling fan module are the most significant. The NAND gate used in the
circuit is defective causing multiple failure modes, this can result in high engine
temperature and overheating due to the cooling fans not operating.

A change has been implemented in production from VIN C91720. On these vehicles a
‘Philips’ printed circuit board has been used that has a modified voltage spike protection
strategy.

So, that NAND gate, heatsinking, and voltage spike protection might be the way to go.

Maybe a modification to remote mount might help to keep things cooler.

Last edited by plums; 06-30-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

So what I am wondering is if I splice the power connectors for the fans to the battery via a switch which I put in the dash, would I run into any problems? I need to be able to gain at least functionality of one fan so I don't overheat until I find a fan controller?

Thanks for reminding me to buy the philips brand controller plums

Old 06-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by disguay
So what I am wondering is if I splice the power connectors for the fans to the battery via a switch which I put in the dash, would I run into any problems? I need to be able to gain at least functionality of one fan so I don't overheat until I find a fan controller?

Thanks for reminding me to buy the philips brand controller plums
That was really for Thermo and his ruminations, but the tsb is older so probably anything in the dealer pipeline is the new design.

You need to know if the fan motor is a regular 12VDC motor.

If you determine that is the case, then there *should* not be a problem to supply it with 12VDC. That is entirely at your risk.

But, the current draw may be such that you should consider: switch + relay + fuse

Old 06-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

disguay, the blower motor in the dash can pull up to 25 amps as I recall. So, a simple switch is not going to be possible to use as finding a 25 amp switch is difficult to do in a 12 VDC rating. Also keep in mind that the switch will only allow you to either have the fan off or at max speed. If you want something in between, then it will make things a lot more confusing. If you want to know more about this, let me know. You can make a variable speed control like what the car uses, but then you have to make a pulse width modulator circuit and a high current switching circuit.

PLums, thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind. I am ultimately looking for a way to save others some money and as long as they can do some basic soldering, come up with a way to get them back on the road. So, we'll see what I find.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

I am ultimately looking for a way to save others some money and as long as they can do some basic soldering, come up with a way to get them back on the road. So, we'll see what I find.
Would it be a smart preventative move to move the "fan control module" away from the heat area by extending wiring? Or, is there a temperature sensing function in the actual module that requires remaining in the stock location.

JTIS does not really show the area clearly, although the EPC might.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Veteran member

plums, the fan controller is directed via the ECM via a pulsed signal. THe longer and faster the pulse is, the faster the fan will run. So, the signal from the ECM is not a simple "Yes" or "No" signal. Hence why simply bypassing the fan controller isn't an easy option.

As for keeping the fan controller cooler, yes, you could move it off of the radiator a little bit. That should hopefully drop the temp that the controller is subjected to from around 200F to around something in the neighborhood of 130F (depending on the location of the final install). That should allow the components to last longer. But, only with diagnosing a failed module will this be truely evident.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member

As for keeping the fan controller cooler, yes, you could move it off of the radiator a little bit. That should hopefully drop the temp that the controller is subjected to from around 200F to around something in the neighborhood of 130F (depending on the location of the final install). That should allow the components to last longer. But, only with diagnosing a failed module will this be truely evident.
So, to be clear, the circuitry between the fan motor and controller is not sensitive to distance within reason? (eg. 2 feet of extra wire)

BTW, how about checking out:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...69/#post370023

Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

Found an alternative bandaid:

The Jaguar Drivers Club of Australia - Tecnical Tips, Modifications & Questions

The electrical connections for each fan are separated in a 4 spade socket so that individual switching for each fan can be done. (eg one fan can be switched on with the air-con compressor). The 'switch on' function for the fans can be done (via a relay) by the original thermal switch on the V12's and later XJ6's. Earlier cars will require the addition of an adjustable temperature thermostat switch (available at Repco etc, made by Davies Craig $54). For really good control, 2 thermostat switches can be fitted, one for each fan, set say 3 deg apart.
ok, it's got to be said ... there's more than one way of cooling a cat

Last edited by plums; 06-27-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

So although you guys advised against it, I threw in a switch to just one of my fans and not to both of them in hopes to lower the amperage. I commute to and from work which is around 130 miles a day and about 40 miles are in stop and go traffic so I needed a quick solution while searching out a fan controller. When I looked at the fan controller I was a little astounded that it wasn't just a plug and play type deal. It looks as if the wires going to the fan control relay are connected not with quick release connectors like I thought, but actually hard wired into the board of the relay. Is this right or am I just not looking at the right thing under the hood?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

PLums, yes, the distance of the wiring will not be affected in this case. Adding in up to even say 20 feet of wiring is not going to affect anything, especially the control signal between the controller and ECM. The "limiting factor" really is the gauge of wire for the main power to the fans. By using too small of wiring, you are going to end up with a large voltage drop, leading to the fans running slower.

As for your questions about the coolant voltage, this deals with a completely different topic. By having a larger voltage in the coolant, this is going to lead to galvanic corrosion of metal parts, especially those in the radiator due to the materials used in making of a radiator and their thicknesses. IN galvanic corrosion, the hihger the voltage, the more current that can flow. With more current, you have more "eating" of the metal, leading to pin hole leads and in general destruction of the metal components. THis is where using all the same metal throughout the whole coolant system is key as galvanic corrosion requires the use of 2 or more different metals.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Fan Controllers

Thermo, I seem to have 2 failed modules. First one failed completely, fans didn't run at all. I found a module via internet at a CA recycler and installed it. Both fans run fine on high speed but only one fan operates on low speed, and Jag dealer just told me this was likely the reason why my A/C doesn't cool. Is that possible / likely? Is there a way to confirm?

I'll keep my eye on this thread and once I find a 100% working module (or give up and replace the whole fan assembly) I can send you both of my defective modules if you still want them.

Thanks for your postings. They've helped me manage my maintenance expenditures.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran member

X2002, once you get things straightened out, send them my way. Let me know how much the S&H is and I will send the money your way.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 8,180 Likes on 4,934 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I replaced dozens of fan controls and I have the cut up hands to prove it. You can get the module as a separate part.

Here is a TSB from way back.

bob gauff

I found a box of Radiator Fan Cooling Modules in my 'pile-o-parts'. I don't have a car to put these in so I am offering these to the members.

See my 'for sale' advert!!

bob gauff

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a failed fan controller-xtype_fan_cont.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed X-Type Fan Controllers

Thermo, do you still want old fan controllers? I don't have my 2002 X-Type anymore, but I do have 2 old fan controllers (and a new in the box water pump). Cleaning the garage out but hate to toss car parts in the dumpster.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

X2002, sure, i will take them and do some more analysis to see if there is a common trend. I will send you a PM with my addy.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts