X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Lug Nuts

So some genius decided it would be a good idea to mix-and-match OEM and aftermarket lug nuts on my car. I didn't notice this until after I bought it and had to replace a couple. The best part is that the aftermarkets are 20mm while the OEMs are 19mm I believe.

I'm therefore looking for a full set to replace all the lug nuts, preferably with the correct size so that I won't have an unpleasant surprise the next time I try to use the wrench that came with the car.

I found this set on eBay:
12mm X 1 5 Mcgard Lifetime Premium Bulge LUG Nuts SET 20 3 4" 19mm HEX 12x1 5mm | eBay

The seller confirmed that they have a lifetime warranty which also covers the chrome finish. They're also available as a "Buy it now" for around $30 I believe.

What do you guys think?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice find! I've been looking for a set of solid aftermarket lug nuts for my car as well.
The metal capped OEM ones just feel flimsy...

The listing is confusing. They show the lugnuts as being compatible with the X-Type, but then the item details contain this useless disclaimer: "(***These lugnuts may not fit factory OEM wheels, must check the type of wheel that you have***)"

Let us know how you like them if you end up ordering them!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Yeah I saw that too. I was confused because according to eBay's vehicle compatibility tool they will fit my car. I just confirmed my specific rim with the seller (OEM 17" Andros) and was told they would fit.

Now I'm just wondering about the factory ones with the washers vs. these without washers. What is the point of the washers and can I install these washer-less lug nuts without any issues?

Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Evan, the factory lugs nuts were designed to try and minimize any transfer of road noise to the cab of the car. I would not worry about the slight difference as it was found that this had a very minimal effect on things anyways. Go with the lugnuts you found and be happy.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:47 PM

Sounds good Chris, I'll order them and let you guys now how it goes. I'll try to remember to take some pictures too

Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

First thing Evan, buy a decent cross wrench so that you can fit the exact socket size (plus others if so required).

If you are really concerned about security and safety then buy OEM from Jaguar, nothing worse than being blamed for the fatal accident by the fact that it was caused by your wheel falling off, due to you using 'snide' nuts.

I never can understand the questions behind such a major safety item.

Unapproved after-market wheel studs are a recipe for disaster.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:47 PM

At least 80% of my current lugs are aftermarket, they came with the vehicle. There were 1 or 2 Jag lugs on there as well, I believe that number is up to three or 4 now as I replaced a couple stripped out aftermarket ones and bad wheel studs with Jag replacements.

All of the wheel studs are OEM, I'm not sure what led you to believe otherwise.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator
First thing Evan, buy a decent cross wrench so that you can fit the exact socket size (plus others if so required).

If you are really concerned about security and safety then buy OEM from Jaguar, nothing worse than being blamed for the fatal accident by the fact that it was caused by your wheel falling off, due to you using 'snide' nuts.

I never can understand the questions behind such a major safety item.

Unapproved after-market wheel studs are a recipe for disaster.
Talk about over-dramatic. It's like planes are going to fall out of the sky if you choose non-OEM nuts. Lug nuts are just a machined hunk of metal. 5 of them would have to fail in quick succession before the wheel falls off and you go careening into an accident. And by the way, he's talking about lug nuts, and not wheel studs.

McGard is a well known, reputable manufacturer. There's nothing 'snide' about them. They've been making wheel locks for decades. From the pictures, their lug nuts look more solid than the OEM crap that came with the X-Type. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the risk you're describing...just doesn't seem remotely plausible.

Evan, please let us know how you like them. I'm thinking about picking up a set for my X-Type as well.

Last edited by MattSteele; 08-22-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Try these... Black always looks good.
Cragar Style Mag Lug Nut 12x1.5

Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by emaraszek
Yeah I saw that too. I was confused because according to eBay's vehicle compatibility tool they will fit my car. I just confirmed my specific rim with the seller (OEM 17" Andros) and was told they would fit.

Now I'm just wondering about the factory ones with the washers vs. these without washers. What is the point of the washers and can I install these washer-less lug nuts without any issues?
Be very careful. When it comes to lug nuts, the ebay "compatibility" listing only cares about the thread.

It has nothing to do with "type". The two main types are acorn and mag-type shanked.

Without knowing the X-Type wheels, Jaguar wheels generally require the mag-type shanked.

These have a flat face, a washer and a tube like threaded shank that goes through the wheel face. The washer is to protect the wheel from getting chewed up, and the shank is intended to centralise the wheel. The critical dimensions are the shank diameter and the shank depth. You can be a little short on the shank, but not longer because the hub will interfere with proper tightening. The diameter is critical and needs to be an exact match with the factory dimension.

If your wheels have holes that are larger than the stud by a good bit, you need the shank type.

If your wheels have angled countersinks at the holes and the holes are fairly tight, you need the acorn type. And you need the angle of the acorn to match the angle of the countersink on the wheel.

I'm betting you need the shank type as that is what Jaguar and most OEM's use. The acorn type are found on aftermarket or steel wheels.

Putting acorn style nuts on a shank type wheel will result in chewed up mounting holes and will likely lead to mislocation. This is true even though Jaguar uses hub centric wheels.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MattSteele
Talk about over-dramatic. It's like planes are going to fall out of the sky if you choose non-OEM nuts. Lug nuts are just a machined hunk of metal. 5 of them would have to fail in quick succession before the wheel falls off and you go careening into an accident. And by the way, he's talking about lug nuts, and not wheel studs.
see post #10

The problem is that choosing the wrong style of lugnut will have bad results. Including wheels coming off. And if death or serious injury results, the injured party *will* go after any deficiencies. Where a wheel comes flying off, you can be pretty sure the investigators will have serious questions as to the cause. Wrong lugnuts are pretty obvious to the experienced eye.

McGard is a reputable brand, but you have to pick the proper application from the multiple styles they offer. Their technical department would probably be quite quick to veto misapplication of one type where another type is required.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

My understanding is that the nuts WITHOUT washers are for STEEL wheels and the versions with washers are a must for alloy wheels.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

So some genius decided it would be a good idea to mix-and-match OEM and aftermarket lug nuts on my car. I didn't notice this until after I bought it and had to replace a couple. The best part is that the aftermarkets are 20mm while the OEMs are 19mm I believe.

I'm therefore looking for a full set to replace all the lug nuts, preferably with the correct size so that I won't have an unpleasant surprise the next time I try to use the wrench that came with the car.

I found this set on eBay:
12mm X 1 5 Mcgard Lifetime Premium Bulge LUG Nuts SET 20 3 4" 19mm HEX 12x1 5mm | eBay

The seller confirmed that they have a lifetime warranty which also covers the chrome finish. They're also available as a "Buy it now" for around $30 I believe.

What do you guys think?
Unless you have after market wheels, those are the wrong lug nuts for OEM wheels. You need the" Mag Type" nuts.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM

It seems the opinions vary on these lug nuts. I have heard that some auto manufacturers use this style of lug nuts with their alloy wheels while others use the mag style. While I am aware this is not the same style as the OEM ones, as I have obviously seen/removed them in the past, I did confirm with the seller not only my specific vehicle but my specific wheel as well. I was told they would work. Yet now with these varying opinions I'm not sure I'll be purchasing them. Are some of you being over-dramatic? Perhaps. But I am now unsure as to the real world effects of using these on my vehicle.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

It seems the opinions vary on these lug nuts. I have heard that some auto manufacturers use this style of lug nuts with their alloy wheels while others use the mag style. While I am aware this is not the same style as the OEM ones, as I have obviously seen/removed them in the past, I did confirm with the seller not only my specific vehicle but my specific wheel as well. I was told they would work. Yet now with these varying opinions I'm not sure I'll be purchasing them. Are some of you being over-dramatic? Perhaps. But I am now unsure as to the real world effects of using these on my vehicle.
Maybe this will help. Check your wheels to see if they are countersunk or not.
This will tell you the correct lug nut to use. :http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=102

Last edited by Norri; 08-26-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jac
Maybe this will help. Check your wheels to see if they are countersunk or not.
This will tell you the correct lug nut to use. :http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=102
I know that they are, that's not the issue. All I was saying is that I have recognized experts like Chris (Thermo) telling me the ones I linked to are fine, while you and the mods seem to think otherwise

Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

If you want another opinion, I wouldn't use the ones you linked to as they hav a tapered shank and no washer.

The ones I used on my S Type which I believe are the same fitting are similar to these.

12x1 5 Chrome MAG LUG Nuts W Washer Brand NEW Wheel Nuts 13 16" HEX SET OF 20 | eBay

Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Evan, while this might be a slightly harder way to go, buy the lugnuts and then see if they fit on the car properly. If they don't, then you can box them back up and return them to the seller on e-bay. You did the big thing by asking the question and having them respond that they are the correct part for your car. If they aren't and the seller gives you a lot of grief on returning the part, you simply leave a nasty response to the purchase (something to the effect of "seller said correct part, isn't, now won't allow return"). You will be amazed as to how quick they will be willing to talk to you then to get rid of that statement. The other option is to spend a little bit more at a local auto parts store and then you have a face to deal with and if they are not the correct ones, it will be easier to return.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

I know that they are, that's not the issue. All I was saying is that I have recognized experts like Chris (Thermo) telling me the ones I linked to are fine, while you and the mods seem to think otherwise
Why not try the tirerack or mcgard application guides then?

Both are reputable vendors who know their business.

The guidance towards the shank type is good and you can find multiple references on the internet that will help you understand what the differences are and why they are important. Tirerack may even have a tech article on the subject.

You could always post a picture of one of the lugnut positions on a wheel with the lugnut removed and the stud showing through.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Why not try the Tirerack or Mcgard application guides then?

Both are
reputable vendors who know their business.
I bought a set of Mcgard locking wheel nuts for my X type.
They are the type with a taper and no washers.
This lead me to discover that they are for steel wheels.
I still have them and of course have never filled them to my Bermuda wheels.

McGard M12 x 1.5 24157 su

Last edited by henry k; 08-27-2013 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Added info re Mcgard reference

Quick Reply: Lug Nuts