X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Trans Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Manual Trans Removal

I need to replace my clutch slave cylinder on my 04 X-Type 5 speed 2.5 liter. I've dropped the sub-frame and now I wondering if it is possible to remove the transmission with the transfer case attached? I've seen pictures of transmissions out of the car with the transfer case attached, but the engine is usually out too. Don't want to remove the engine. Can I slide the whole thing off in one piece?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Download the JTIS on this site from the stickies in the xtype forum and you will be guided through a step-by-step process... The short of it is that the dealer calls for taking the TC apart from the tranny... Sorry... How many miles do you have on your clutch currently? We have almost NO statistics on the clutch longevity on these cars because they are so rare.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

disguay a manual X is not that rare actually. Although were made much more automatic ones but nonetheless.

I changed the clutch set at 80k miles.

Beeger why do you want to remove the gearbox with the TC on it? Is it that necessary?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. I do have JTIS and another similar manual from Ebay/luckypaul9. Both call for removal of the TC. I was just looking for a way to save a step and avoid the need for special tools to remove the TC link shaft. I had also planned to replace the inboard half-shaft boots by taking apart the tripod joints rather than pulling the entire half-shaft and replacing the half-shaft seals. In short I'm just trying to avoid getting stuck because I don't have a special tool. I've done this kind of work before, but not on a Jag. This car is a bit intimidating. I figure the less I take things apart the better -- but the further I get with it the less intimidated I feel. My clutch seemed OK before the slave cylinder popped, but I'm going to replace it anyway. The car has about 100K on it.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Default Update

For future reference: it is not possible to remove a manual transmission from an 04 x-type with the transfer case attached. Found out the hard way. A casting on the inboard side of the engine prevents this.

Secondly, a question. I am about to remove my transfer case (so I can remove the man. trans. so I can replace the clutch and slave cylinder). Throughout the manual I have (JTIS-like from luckypaul) it warns about spilling transfer case oil once the link shaft is partially removed. I have read that this can contaminate the two oil supplies (transmission and transfer case). The thing is - don't the transfer case and manual transmission use the same type of oil? Wouldn't this warning be only for automatic trans? I want to replace the oil in both the man trans and tc anyway. What type of oil do you recommend? I've read posts about using good quality gear oil. I could just drain both before removal and not worry, right?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you (or anyone else) tried to undo the four bolts that hold the TC to the gearbox and then just remove the transmission? In this case you leave the TC case on the engine. For clearance you can pull the left drive shaft out a certain distance without damaging the seals. You would need to move the transmission left several inches to disengage the transmission input shaft and the TC case drive shafts. I don't know if there's enough clearance, but if you can get the trans and TC out then you should be able to get just the trans out.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can manual trans be removed with Transfer Case Left in Place?

I am going to remove my manual trans (for a clutch replacement). Plan on supporting the engine from above, removing the subframe, and dropping the manual trans from the bottom. Does anybody know if it is possible to do this while leaving the Transfer Case in place attached to the engine-- or does the Transfer Case have to be removed for some reason?